sinus infection that won't go away | Golden Skate

sinus infection that won't go away

Johar

Medalist
Yay me. Just what I need for New Year's Eve. First round of antibiotics was done before Christmas. Now I am on a different antibiotic. Infection got really bad yesterday and I couldn't stop sneezing. Everytime I start to ovulate I get hyper sensitive to allergens though no doctor will believe me. Three allergy meds did nothing.

So, I have a few more days left and I feel crappy and bitchy.

Last month was when I started to get sick, starting with the day I began to ovulate. Constant sneezing with no relief from 3 different allergy meds. But since I am a female I don't know anything about my body and I must be in a state of hysteria. Sexist doctors can go to hell.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Have you tried a Neti pot? My doctor turned me on to them.

I am serious about this-I use one, it helps amazingly both with allergies and sinus infections.
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/s...02&productId=484202&navAction=jump&navCount=3

I like the longer spout design best.

You can either use the packets that come with the pot or make your own.

Remember to wash it after each use, especially if there is an infection involved. I keep a bottle of dish detergent in the bathroom for the purpose.

Johar

Medalist
I can't use a Neti pot. My sinuises are so shut that the water has no place to go when it gets shot up the nose. It can't go out the other nostril at all. Talk about blinding pain. I am so angry right now at how many doctors won't believe me that my period causes sinus infections.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Can you use one when your sinuses are at their best? (no period)

If so, start then, and use every day. If not, ask the doctor to explain what to do to unblock your sinuses, because there should be a path from the left to right nostril. Did you ever break your nose or have some other reason for them to be partially blocked?

Another thought:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/03/060330182210.htm

Apparently some women are allergic to their own hormones, resulting in the allergy form of sinus headache. Once everything is all congested like that, it is easy for an infection to start.

That's why you start neti potting when you're healthy, if your problem is severe.

This happened with a neighbor of mine, and the neti solved it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have you tried a Neti pot?

I don't use a Neti pot but I do spray my sinuses everyday. I used to have sinus infections all the time and one very severe, that's how I learned about the sinus cleansing. It really helped me out. I may get a sinus infection once a year but that's better than once a month.

treesprite

Final Flight
Be very careful if you are spinning while having sinus congestion. There's nothing more fun than having a long slimy string flung at you from across the rink. Believe me, it happens.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I like the neti better than the sprays because most of the washed out stuff comes out right away, rather than stewing around inside. Better drainage is a good thing :)

I got into this stuff because I am allergic to NSAID's

I can't stress this enough: make sure that the water you use for any sinus procedure is sterile. Not just from the tap!

It's certainly possible that the hormonal cycle could have something to do with your problem. Depending on the person, all different kinds of things can be exacerbated by the time of the month. Migraines are notorious for this.

heyang

Record Breaker
You might wanted to get tested to find out what you are allergic too.

If you do have an infection (not just passage swelling) you might want to ask about getting a super power anti-biotic. It's possible that these milder antibiotics aren't killing off the infection- thus, it continues to come back and has become resistant to the lesser antibiotics. This happened to my co-workers brother and he has been fine ever since he got the powerful antibiotics the 1 time.

I use a neti-pot too. However, I also follow it up every other day with a prescription nasal spray since I sometimes develop a sinus infection if I use the neti pot for several consecutive days. The spray helps open up the passages to ensure drainage. This is what my gp suggested inlieu of taking decongestant pill instead (which can result in elevated blood pressure due to the ephedra in the decongestant.)

Johar

Medalist
OMG! I didn't know nasal decongestants could cause a rise in blood pressure! They may be why my readings have been very high.

heyang

Record Breaker
OMG! I didn't know nasal decongestants could cause a rise in blood pressure! They may be why my readings have been very high.

When my doctor found out I was taking Claritin D every day for several weeks, she prescribed the nasal spray. Any decongestant should be used sparingly because your body can become too used to it and stop taking care of itself. Most decongestants that have to be picked up from the pharamacist - with or without prescription - have ephedra, which stimulates. I noticed that if I took a 24 hr claritin D for several consecutive days, I would start finding it more difficult to sleep well, even though I wasn't stuffy.

Anyway, this unseasonably warm winter in NJ is driving my allergies nuts! The cold weather during the last couple of days is actually a relief!