Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: American nationals podium predictions

While I find your pairs prediction funny, PoodlePal, I do think we shouldn't coun't E/L out. I actually admire them for sticking to it despite their past challenges and quite frankly while D/C is hyped very much at home and they did well in Skate America, I think judges clearly are willing to score E/L better if they are clean.

I am rooting for them to win the national title personally. D/C has potential, but too hyped given what they have brought to the table so far.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Interesting IP. I think you're the only person out there that would put Rachael in third, given her poor GP standing. What's your thought process behind this?
    1. I want it to happen, so it's a hopediction (hope + rationalization in the form of a prediction)

2. Czisny is the prohibitive favourite: she will have the PCS to back her up and even with her inconsistency this season, she's demonstrated fight and commitment. A clean short will give her room to breathe for the long.

3. Wagner has a monster fire in her belly this season. I think she realizes it's now or never time. She's actually made improvements in areas that have lost her points (those two-foots/URs). I think because her international reputation is a little shaky, she'll have to skate flat out and rely on Nagasu to err.

4. But it's the third spot you asked about. My honest answer would be "I have no idea and think it would be hilarious to see her pull it off given the massive amount of ire she gets on the internet" but more to the point

a) I think she's a hard worker. Now, she might not get to the level of fitness she needs to be at to truly be competitive (in the way you want to see an American lady, at any rate), but I think a strong work ethic will help her get above what she was doing this year.

b) Neither she nor Nagasu has ideal training environments - Nagasu trains at four rinks (it was reported) and has a garagantuan commute. If there was another American lady who was doing well, I'd probably have given her the slot - before this season, I had it for Zawadski. But right now.... I don't know who it is (Cesario was my shot in the dark, but I can't put her any higher).

c) Nagasu.... doesn't have the programs. Doesn't have the work ethic. Nothing about her situation is ideal. And while she's comeback from disappointment (her 2009 LP at Nationals) I have to wonder if this is the year she CAN do it. For all the talk of the judges not holding Flatt up, Nagasu's PCS at SC were 48 and change (56+ at CoC). National judges tend to inflate those they have in mind as the best chances, so I don't think Nagasu can count on that.

d) If everyone's clean, Nagasu's in second. Just don't see that happening, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    While I find your pairs prediction funny, PoodlePal, I do think we shouldn't coun't E/L out. I actually admire them for sticking to it despite their past challenges and quite frankly while D/C is hyped very much at home and they did well in Skate America, I think judges clearly are willing to score E/L better if they are clean.

I am rooting for them to win the national title personally. D/C has potential, but too hyped given what they have brought to the table so far.
    E/L's problem comes from base value/GOE. They just won't do all that well there, even if they are clean.

Custom Title
    The Detroit Skating Club recently had their send off to Nationals. Here's Alissa's long program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2Wfuj1XHA

I find her new costume interesting. She is wearing a shress, or sheer dress, making her white underwear very prominent. I waver between thinking that it's an avant-guarde fashion statement that I simply don't understand and that Alissa is trying to save money by using a thinner fabric.

Banned
    ^
    well she just came off an injury, hopefully her falls will improve or she'll be in shape at nationals
    and the dress, I don't like it too.. ( I heared someone said, WOW on the background noise. LOL ) :sheesh:
    I hope those transparent dresses aren't starting a trend

I have been noticing a couple of skaters wearing that lately
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 01-16-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    My top 6 predictions:

Men
    1. Abbott
    2. Miner
    3. Rippon
    4. Dornbush
    5. Aaron
    6. Farris

Ladies
    1. Wagner
    2. Czisny
    3. Keiser
    4. Nagasu
    5. Wang
    6. Zhang

Pairs
    1. Evora/Ladwig
    2. Denney/Coughlin
    3. Marley/Brubaker
    4. Donlan/Speroff *crossing my fingers*
    5. Castelli/Shnapir
    6. Vise/Baldwin

Dance
    1. Davis/White
    2. Shibutani/Shibutani
    3. Hubbell/Donohue
    4. Chock/Bates
    5. Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt
    6. Samuelson/Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    The Detroit Skating Club recently had their send off to Nationals. Here's Alissa's long program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2Wfuj1XHA

I find her new costume interesting. She is wearing a shress, or sheer dress, making her white underwear very prominent. I waver between thinking that it's an avant-guarde fashion statement that I simply don't understand and that Alissa is trying to save money by using a thinner fabric.
    I'm trying to not sound too harsh here, but I find her costume to be hideous and the multiple falls to be very unnerving. I really like Alyssa and wish her well but she's going to need to improve a lot over the next week and a half (or else other ladies are going to need to make a lot of mistakes) if she wants to make the podium. Is she still injured??

Of course, I do not know if Czisny will perform well at nationals, but the way she skated right now makes me feel like she will not be national champion again. At the same time, I remember being nervous for Tuktamisheva at russian test skates when she bombed many of her jumps. But she did very well at the grand prix series.

Ok finally ready to make some top 3 predictions

Ladies:

1. Nagasu- major wildcard but having seen what Alyssa out out there recently have to go with her. I think she has a 1 mistake advantage over Wagner who never keeps it together at Nationals. Really though top three could come in any order and I would not be shocked. I also wouldn't be shocked at a total upset.
    2. Wagner
    3. Czisny

My top 6 predictions:

Men
    1. Abbott
    2. Rippon
    3. Miner

Pairs

1. Denney/Coughlin- if they show up i's theirs. I join in the people who really respect E/L but they don't have the tech content and I think D/C will be propped up slightly regardless.
    2. Evora/Ladwig
    3. Marley/Brubaker

Dance
    1. Davis/White
    2. Shibutani/Shibutani
    3. Samuelson/Gilles -more of a wishhope than a real prediction

Alissa - what are you thinking - wearing little more than a white bikini !!

NOOOOOOOOO!

Tripping on the Podium
    That dress(?) is not what I'd expect from a classy person like Alissa!

My (cough, hopes, cough) predictions:

Ladies:
    1) Alissa Czisny(could flip flop with Mirai)
    2) Mirai Nagasu
    3)I want Caroline to pull every ounce of amazing out of her & slide into 3rd
    Ashley Wagner(who I really think will be in 3rd)

Men:
    1) Jeremy Abbott
    2) Adam Rippon
    3) Richard Dornbush

Pairs:
    1) Denney & Coughlin
    2) Evora & Ladwig(I would prefer them to win)
    3) Marley & Brubaker

Ice Dance:
    1) Davis & White
    2) Shibutanis
    3) please, please, please Samuelson & Gilles
    its a toss up for 3rd possibly Hubbel & Donohue

i wouldn't count alissa out yet...it was only a show that she skated not so well in, not a competition. EVERYONE has a time or two where they just bomb. her grand prix events were good, despite the injury at the final. i have confidence in her. she is human and makes mistakes after all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olderbear View Post
    That dress(?) is not what I'd expect from a classy person like Alissa!
    I don't think she will wear that at Nationals.

Custom Title
    My prediction of ladies is like
    1 Alissa
    2 Mirai
    3 Ashley
    4 Leah
    5 Caroline

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm thinking this is the year for Adam to make the podium. He has two good programs and is skating with panache and confidence. As always I do prehopes rather than predictions, but I'm with Pikaschuub, I'll say Abbott, Rippon, and Dornbush for the podium. I don't care what order as long as Jeremy wins.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast