Adrian Schultheiss | Golden Skate

Adrian Schultheiss

This is really good news. It's so nice to hear that he's happy about skating again. I didn't know he was in the US. Can he really compete at Worlds after back surgery in mid-December??

Anyway, Happy New Year and good luck to him!

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Ooh! Im excited for him. Cant wait to see his new programs next season.
How is it that hes gonna be able to do worlds if hes not doing Euros and he didnt do
his Nats?
Does he get a bye? How many entries does Sweden have for worlds?

claphappy

On the Ice
Sweden has one spot. Maybe they'll use a Senior B event to decide it like last year. I'm not a huge fan of Majorov, but that does seem awfully unfair to him. But, this is just my own conjecture, so we'll see.

Anyways, I'm so excited to hear some positive news about Adrian; can't wait to see him back in action!

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
So according to his official website he's not going to Euros.
I'm afraid he won't go to Worlds. If he only did Finlandia Trophy(I think, it might have been another senior b competition earlier in the season) and he withdrew from Coupe de Nice(I think that was the competition) then what are the chances he will be selected to go to Worlds?
Especially because there's only 1 entry for Sweden this year. And Majorov(sp?) is National champion, right?
Anybody have any info about this? Obviously, as Worlds gets closer we'll find out. I'm just anxious as I'm afraid he won't compete for the rest of the season. That would suck. :(

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I wish the best for Adrian, and I am very glad that he has decided to let his back heal fully. You rock, Adrian! :rock:

claphappy

On the Ice

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
"I will be back with two challenging programs!"

I'm so glad he sounds so much better and is happy training in the US. He really lacks the necessary support back home.

I think Adrian's new confidence shows the support he has at home. Also financially, how else could he practice in US for eight weeks? I too wish Adrian could go to US full time if that's what he wants. But to be fair, a majority of talented skaters around the world can't afford moving to top coaches in North America.

http://www.dn.se/sport/schultheiss-ser-slutet-efter-os

glam posted this link in the Spanish skating thread a while back. Is there any way someone could be kind enough to please translate? I will be eternally grateful.

Written before Swedish Nationals:

Schultheiss views the end after Olympic Games.

A. S. thought of quit skating after all troubles last season. Now he risks missing Europeans because of a slipped disk - and talks about ending his carrier after the OG in two years.

He will miss Swedish Nationals in Malmö. The injury from two months ago has not healed.

- I think my body was very tired. I was at a competition and we had lots of early mornings. One morning when I practiced a jump, I felt my back hurt badly, he says to TT (news agency) in a chilly room back stage Malmö Ice Stadium.

How bad would it be for you to miss EC?
- I just have to accept it. There is nothing else I can do.

Later in spring there will be WC.
- But then I have to be in good shape in time, do some results. I can't go unprepared to WC.

- That's why I keep on. I want to compete at the big events, show who I am and make results.

Adrian has had a hard time after his success nearly two years ago, when he finished ninth in Torino. Last season was worthless - his own words. A move and a club- and coach change.

- Last year was tough. Somehow I couldn't handle that. I was a little low from all of it, a bit depressed.

But now A. S. gives it all in spite of the back injury ruining the fall. The hunger for figure skating is there.

Last summer it felt differently.

- Then there were all kind of thoughts, about quitting, taking a brake, leaving the country and bury myself under a blanket.

But they are gone now then?

- Yes.

Is your goal still the Olympic Games?

- Yes, then I'll see. Suppose I can't do more than to go there.

Then it's finished?

- Yes, probably.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
^^ thank you! Thank you! Much appreciated!

Thanks for the tip, claphappy. I'll have to try that next time when I can get on a regular computer. I'm using my crappy first gen android phone so everything is a pain in the butt and I still haven't figured out half the stuff I can or can't do on it. I'll figure it out. :)

Back on topic:.
I thought maybe he wasn't being supported enough at home, too and I wonder how things could be different if he was able to train full time in the US with a top notch coach, enough ice time, etc. I wish he could find a sponsor for the remainder of his career. But anyways, it doesn't look as bad as it could be and he was able to train in Philly last year so I'm sure he's making the best of it.

Paganini Caprices, in either the original violin version or Eliot Fisk's amazing guitar version. They are short pieces with a lot of variety to choose from, and there is a weirdness about Paganini and his imagination that I think Adrian would like. And they are not overused (if at all). Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCePRgqO-HI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWV1JHJfrAY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLCEEB3458AA71F020
On Paganini:
http://music.allpurposeguru.com/2010/05/niccolo-paganini-the-devils-violinist/
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...&tbnw=84&start=40&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:40

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Do you guys mind if I post these ideas on his FB?
Or if you have a Facebook you can search his name and he'll come up. You can post yourself.
Let me know.