Skaters who smoke.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters who smoke....

Johar

Medalist
I never smoked, but grew up (until I was about 10) in a family with smokers and so I had second hand smoke during a lot of developmental years - it definitely effects stamina.

I couldn't agree more. When it came to physical tests in gym even the obese kids could out perform me.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I guess I didn't mean that cigarettes would have no effect on stamina. I was thinking of one co-worker who jogs on occasion who tells me that his social smoking habit doesn't affect his runs, as long as they last less than 10 or 15 minutes. I've never seen him run though, so I'm taking his word for it.

On the other hand, he always says there's no solid scientific evidence that second hand smoke causes lung cancer, and that he will definitely quit smoking - in a month, once he gets over this one stressful thing, so he may be in denial.

A lot of people can run for 10 or 15 minutes at a moderate pace without it affecting stamina and long distance runners (1/2 marathon and marathoners) can run at a somewhat slower pace (7-9 minute miles) than a 5K runner (5-6 minute miles) without it affecting stamina. How does your co-worker KNOW it doesn't affect his stamina? Has he ever run while not smoking?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Anyone who thinks there is no solid evidence that second hand smoke causes cancer and other desease is living in la la land. In my life, you lived in a cloud of smoke. My mother smoked for 13 years when I was a kid, everyone else smoked at our work places, homes, theatres and restaurants....now my brother and I have COPD. Pleanty of people are dieing of lung cancer, like my father in law, who never "smoked" a day in their lives....
Ask any doc who has sectioned the lung of a dead smoker, 21 years old and up, and ask THEM if they think it effects stamana....Cigarette smoke is full of radioactive particles that lodge in the lungs and radiate them over decades....many of us older folk on this forum are amoung the walking dead, doomed to die cause of other people's smoke....I really dont have anything again someone who wants to inhale radioactive particles into their lungs. Just keep that filth away from me....

macy

Record Breaker
The cigarettes' effect on lung capacity won't affect performance. Even the longest skating performances are at maximum 5-6 minutes, so there's no need for endurance or stamina.

really? 5-6 minutes is an EXTREMELY long time. why do you think skaters train year round, do off-ice training, and are on the ice hours a day? you have no idea how much of skating is stamina. the jumps wouldnt happen in a program if there was no stamina.

ks777

Record Breaker
I doubt it since the Japanese seem to care about their health a bit more then Americans.

That's not true at all. Many japanese smoke. I used to smoke when I was growing up in Japan. I heard many of the Japanese national Volleyball and handball players smoke(mostly men).

Chris, I'm so sorry to hear about the COPD.

I had heard that smoking was not looked down on in Japan as much as it is here in the U.S. We became anti-tobacco crusaders much earlier in the States than most other people around the world did, and in Asia it's still popular as I understand it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks Olympia, even though there is no cure the desease spreads very slowly. One good thing is that the lungs enlarge to compensate so I can pretty much still hike in the mountains, canoe or trim trees all day, but maybe not as fast as when I was 55. You are correct about asia, especially China. IIRC, we export a bunch of tobacco over there. Did you live in the period when we were trapped about an airliner with a bunch of smokers? In aircraft mechanics school in the 1960s, they told us the smoke and tar would actually seal the cabin joints over time to where the pressurization system didnt have to work so hard.....
cough cough chris

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The cigarettes' effect on lung capacity won't affect performance. Even the longest skating performances are at maximum 5-6 minutes, so there's no need for endurance or stamina.

I'm floored by this statement. No need for stamina or endurance in FS? It is exhausting to skate. LP is an endurance test, esp. under CoP? What the ?
:unsure:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think someone was pulling our leg...anyone who saw D/W's free skate at the Olympics where Charlie was about exhausted at the end would laugh at such a statement.

brightphoton

Medalist
Figure skating is taxing, but a skater only has to perform for 5-6 minutes. Compare that time period to a cross country runner, who runs for more than 2 hours, or a soccer or basketball player, who need to play for an hour or more. A skating program is comparable to a series of sprints. Pre-CoP, figure skaters used their spins and footwork as "breather" sections between jumps. As the OP said, ballet dancers often smoke, and ballet is also like a series of sprints. Smoking isn't good for your lungs, but if you're going to smoke, it's better to pick a sport that favors sprints over long-term endurance. If anything, the sprints are over quicker.

I supposed I've bought too much into my co-worker's downplaying of the risks of second hand smoke. I didn't know second hand smoke was that bad. But I don't like to talk too much about smoking. Everyone knows he's addicted, and I think he does too even if he doesn't admit it. He knows it causes cancer, but it's hard to quit ...