Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir

Ravensque

On the Ice
This is great, SF, thanks. This will probably pick up a bit during Nats. There's not much going on right now. I just hope they're honing those programs to milk every PC and tek mark they can......:). I'd also like it if they could put together a new program for the galas.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It is when "nothing is going on" for fans that lots are going on for the skaters, determining what they will put out when we see them again. Meanwhile maybe Scott can hone his bad boy image, Canadian style. :cool: Can't let Patrick take all the glory. ;)

So next will be the Canadian Nationals, with the US Nationals and the Euro immediate after. For Tessa and Scott and other top Canadians there will be the 4CC after the Nationals, then Worlds. The event locations are easier for them than last year's.

npa

Match Penalty
Scott is real man so he take all about sport too seriouse, but i am sure after the end of competition he relaxed and become our sweet nice-guy Scott :biggrin:
With that ISU mistake i am wonder - why no comments from V-M and SC?
Cant wait to see what they will change untill Nationals.

Judgements and colored use of words are journalists' stock in trade.

"Victim (noun): 1. A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action."

The Armenians were victims of genocide.

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
Skatefiguring
You are so right. :thumbsup:
I can't wait for Nationals to see what else V/M changed in their program. When I have seen their Free for the first time I wasn't pleased, it seemed to me good but not very good. But their program grew up on me. Every time I watched it I noticed small changes and I liked it more and more.
I wish they win the Worlds and all the rest of this year' competitions.

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
mathman
a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency: a victim of an automobile accident.
a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency: a victim of misplaced confidence; the victim of a swindler; a victim of an optical illusion.
a person or animal sacrificed or regarded as

^ Exactly.

Tessa and Scott are not goats sacrificed at the alter to propitiate the gods.

The official record book will show that they lost the free dance by a fraction of a point (with a footnote saying that they should have won by a point) on their way to winning the silver medal.

Their situation does not rise to the level of "victimhood."

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
Mathman
So they are the victims --- second definition, a person deceived/cheated (of first place in Free Dance) by impersonal agency (judges). i.e. victims of mistake. At least that is my understanding of the meaning of the word "victim"
Although, of course victims/victimization is used too often and sometimes not correctly by MSM/journalists.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Judgements and colored use of words are journalists' stock in trade.

"Victim (noun): 1. A person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action."

The Armenians were victims of genocide.

Well, they were harmed as a result of an event or action, even though the harm may be deemed insignificant by some.

Yes, a journalist's choice to use the word which is often colored, such that a victim usually has to be someone the public would feel sympathy for, may induce :laugh:. But the use of the word is not wrong in its meaning as you define it.

Both genicides and pranks have victims.

Last edited:
^ Note how you had to thread your way through the definition, finding just the right words to select while discarding those words that describe the clear meaning and common usage of the word.

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
mathman
so if someone was injured as a result of some action, , according to you that also would be "threading your way through the definition" because then you are discarding the words "killed" or "harmed" and "accident". And of course one never says "victims of mistake" .....according to you. ROTFL

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^ Note how you had to thread your way through the definition, finding just the right words to select while discarding those words that describe the clear meaning and common usage of the word.

Yes, because the definition gives a wide range.

Thus, one may be a victim of a crime, a disaster, a slander, a situation, a mistake, an accident, or just a prank. In this case, a human and technological errors combined.