how long will it take to learn any double jump?? | Golden Skate

how long will it take to learn any double jump??

litto_mos

Spectator
i recently went to this ice show at my rink.. and these little kids are doing all sorts of double jumps in their solo.. so im thinking if i want to get a solo in next years show i need a double jump.. so how long will it take to get a double.. im currently only at a loop ;(

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Most rinks that put on shows find a place for all different levels of kids to solo, so I'm not sure you actually will need a double to get one.

What used to happen at our rink was that they would put out a group number for each of the different skating classes, and then someone with similar ability would do the solo for that group. The show would progress from the Tiny Tots and other Beginners up through the Top Ten. So the audience would see skating at all different levels, which is encouraging to help develop interest in new skaters. I've never heard of a rink that forced you to know doubles before you could perform a solo.

Now, there may be certain exhibitions where they only bring the top skaters around, but that's a different story.

To answer your question, there is no answer. There are too many variables to just say, oh it will take you X months. If you are working on loops and backspins, then those are the building blocks for good/double jumps. Some people find the stumbling block to be the axel, and it might take them even a year or more of trying. Some can do a double before the axel, though a lot of coaches will not go there in that order. Some find that it takes many months to get the double, like a 2sal or 2toe, but then the other doubles come tumbling in (2loop, 2flip, sometimes even 2lutz).

Getting coached privately will likely lesson the time that it takes you to get these under your belt.

But don't forget, there is more to skating than just landing jumps. You should be working on Moves in the Field and getting all the foundation moves/steps/patterns which will help you be a better skater all around. A jump only lasts a few seconds, and you've got whole minutes to fill in a performance. The flow and edges and connecting moves better also be top notch to present a good performance!

How long have you been skating? And do you mind my asking how old you are?

litto_mos

Spectator
THANKS

i've been skating for about one year now.. and im 16 yrs. old

and i also get so embarrased about going to my group lessons.. because all the other kids are LITTLE KIDS (like 8 and under)..
So i guess i'll sign up for private sometimes soon!!
and thanks so much for your answers..

and like for that one show (ppl with the doubles).. like anyone can go into the show.. but only ppl with doubles can get solos... :(

anyways.. thank yous!!

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Litto Mos - Not that this will help you, but just to put your embarrassment into perspective --

I just started skating a year and a half ago (after being off the ice for over 30 years) and I'm 46 years old. Usually the kids on the ice with me are no older than 14. I'm even older than those kids' moms!

When I went to test my Adult Gold Freestyle last week, I was the only adult skater in the entire rink that day! And my husband, who I allowed to come with me for the first time during testing, when we walked in the door he started laughing because all the other skaters were such young and little kids. He teasingly warned me not to turn around too fast so I wouldn't "crush" any of them!

I'll tell you what helps -- continuing to get better. I found that when I started landing axels consistently, even the young kids took me much more seriously. So get out there and just keep trying. To be honest, kids don't really think about you much at all. They are the center of their universe and they don't really care what you're doing out there. Only you really do. So cut yourself some slack and go ahead and skate your heart out!

You're doing great, and at 16 you have lots of time and youth to invest in skating. Good for you for getting out there. You'll have your doubles before you know it!

CassidyL

Rinkside
Cinderella on Ice: Wow, I'm impressed! You are doing axels consistantly at 46? No offense to your age, my parents are older and they are cool, but I don't even have a coach over 40 who can still do good axels! And they were all great competitors. :)

litto_mos: Just keep working on it. You already have good advise here. Some coaches want a good axel before starting doubles, but my coach doesn't believe in that. he says if any single jump is done technically well, and consistant, there is no reason not to start working on doubles for that jump. If you're working on your loop, am assuming you have a sal. Try doubling it.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
CassidyL - :love: A big "mwah" to you for making me feel so good. Wait till you see the doubles I'm going to conquer during 2004!

There are several "adult" folks on this board who are doing doubles now that have been a big inspiration to me.

I know what you mean, though. Most of the adults I know have given up jumping entirely, and the moms who come to the rink who used to skate seem not to have kept in shape.

Thanks again, you truly made my day!!!

icedream

Rinkside
at my rink you don't need a double! All you need is a flip, loop, and a sitspin! :D but a lot of people without axels get duets.

I'm trying out for my first solo in January :D