Wedding Gowns and Strapless | Golden Skate

Wedding Gowns and Strapless

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ok it's not really just wedding gowns, it seems to be a trend in more dressy/formal type dresses... it's either these beautiful strapless dresses or the ones with straps (halter or regular) that aren't as nice (IMO)

Some of us are a little... heavier... up top, it's not fair! LOL I just don't trust things to stay where they need to.

what's with this trend? (and no I'm not looking at wedding dresses for any real reason, it's just that Disney came out with their 2012 line and it annoyed me lol)

ok it's not really just wedding gowns, it seems to be a trend in more dressy/formal type dresses... it's either these beautiful strapless dresses or the ones with straps (halter or regular) that aren't as nice (IMO)

Some of us are a little... heavier... up top, it's not fair! LOL I just don't trust things to stay where they need to.

what's with this trend? (and no I'm not looking at wedding dresses for any real reason, it's just that Disney came out with their 2012 line and it annoyed me lol)

I'm with you! I can't imagine wearing that little on top. I never even wear sleeveless. I'd have to put a turtleneck over it. For one thing, I'm always cold. For another, this is more of me than I want strangers evaluating! Not only that, those strapless things generally have boning in them. No, thank you!

But for sewing doll clothes, it's a great fashion trend, because a lot of those gowns are two piece, with the bodice separate and then a skirt. I know how to do those pieces! I made some pretty decent gowns for dolls of mine (who don't mind if the darts are somewhat less than symmetrical).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have no problem with sleeveless as long as there are straps that are supportive (aka no spaghetti straps for me). It's just annoying that designers just ignore those of us that need some more support up top... not all of us are small chested!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Many strapless dresses are so constructed they can stand up on their own, and they are often seen to do so on real bodies like armor suits.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Many strapless dresses are so constructed they can stand up on their own, and they are often seen to do so on real bodies like armor suits.

I've gone the strapless route a couple of times. both times things did not stay where they should have after multiple fittings, etc... top it off I didn't feel confident in them. Much prefer straps on a dress that is just as pretty!

heyang

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, Kate Middleton didn't revive the idea of having sleeves on wedding dresses. The majority of wedding gowns have been strapless for years now - when my brother and SIL got married 15 years ago, I don't recall there being many dresses with sleeves for brides or bridwmaids and the majority of wedding dresses didn't have straps.

As for every day wear for work, I'd like to have sleeves please.... Not everyone wants to wear a cardigan twinset and be sleeveless. I'm also tired of 3/4 length sleeves.

My office is generally very cold. I wear so many layers that I have several different kinds of sleeves on at any one time. I layer in the summer, too, because of air conditioning. You should see my August legwarmers. (Beautiful Japanese crochetwork, in a metallic charcoal yarn.) I keep a pair of legwarmers in my desk in the office for days when the air conditioning gets too intense. I sit closest to the conditioner, and I have to stay cold so everyone else can have enough air. (Old building.) They gave me a space heater, and I keep a blanket by my desk. Strapless? Pigs will fly first.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
I just don't like the way that straight across strapless neckline looks. I don't find it as flattering as other shapes. When I got married in 2007 I had a really hard time finding anything with straps. Most of the stores would only have a few options. I got super lucky, though, and found a dress on clearance for $99 with a straps ans a sweetheart neckline :)

That sounds lovely, mmcdermott!

Kate the Duchess wore something else that I hope will become a trend. Her evening dance dress, if you recall, was topped with what they called a knitted bolero. Translation: she had on a sweater! For a shivery sort like me, that's the ideal accompaniment to a frilly dress. I once bought a beautiful dress at a local thrift shop. It's a straight-down shape with no waistline and an asymmetrical floaty hemline, sort of 1920s shape. The fabric is a wonderful chiffon that's dyed in aquatic or sunrise colors--aqua shading to purple and rose. The lining is a beautiful aqua silk charmeuse. The top is a sort of tank top shape--scoop neckline, sleeveless. Well, I'd just freeze, and besides, my upper arms can best be described as spindly. But then I acquired a fancy sweater of the exact purple that's in the gown. The sweater has a ruffled edge too, and it's lightweight. Now, thanks to the Duchess of Cambridge, I can wear my dress with its sweater and be completely dressed up. Isn't royalty wonderful?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Just enter "modest wedding dresses" or "modest ball gowns" in Google and you will have lots of results. Also try "vintage dresses". I have no idea why the sheer existence of sleeves on a dress makes it automatically "modest" or "vintage" - but, well, that's where you find those dresses. If I ever get married, I will have to order my wedding dress in the US, because there are no companies in Germany that produce "modest" dresses.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
funny, Medusa, but the dresses I've found are from Central America lol not that I could fit into any of them... I'd need to be a twig! but it's fun to dream.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I thought I'd weigh in, since I work in bridal.

First of all, let me say that I totally understand people who like sleeves of some sort. I was the same way. I have a relatively small frame but with fairly broad shoulders and I always felt I looked half-dressed in a strapless. Additionally I, like so many others, have had the bad strapless prom dress experience wherein a poorly fitted gown slides down all evening.

When I got married I was able to find an absolutely gorgeous gown with cap sleeves that I liked better than any of the strapless I had tried. They do exist, and they actually are becoming more popular. While the shop I work in has carried some very pretty keyhole back dresses for as long as I've worked there, we didn't have as many dresses with other types of strap or sleeve till recently. Over the last two seasons we've probably tripled our stock of dresses with sleeves of some form, including more than a couple with full sleeves. We've also put together a collection of boleros in various styles. All of these are very popular, though most brides still come in looking for strapless. Additionally, almost any strapless dress can have some form of strap or sleeve added, though not every bridal shop is willing to do so. We can also alter any straight across neckline into a sweetheart.

That said, a strapless gown fitted properly should not slide at all. Well, I should ammend that to read a well-made strapless gown that is fitted properly. What most people don't know is that the waist is the crucial part of the fit. No matter how perfectly the top and bust areas of the dress fit, if the waist does not fit then the dress will slide. When the waist fits, however, it holds the whole dress in place. It keeps the dress from sliding down by cinching in at the narrowest point, and it holds the top of the dress in place with the boning. Whether or not you like boning, the stuff has a purpose. It shouldn't dig into you- that's a poor fit, too- but it should fit like a second skin, albeit a second skin that is built extra tough. We've fit women with 42-F sized chests into strapless gowns that held them up and in place.

After I'd worked at the shop for a while I had a chance to pick out a discontinued bridesmaids sample on sale for a party. I tried on a strapless on a whim since it was in my size and was surprised that it worked really well. I had to take it in a bit, but the cut actually flattered me (I've found I have to really stick to certain necklines to keep my shoulders from looking disproportionately broad). I also found a strapless bra that worked much, much better than any I had ever tried before in our extra stock, and was amazed how well it worked. I'm now a convert to strapless to a degree, though I still like straps best in many cases. I did wear it with a pashmina shawl to deal with air conditioning.

I have seen the Disney styles. I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan..... usually too gaudy.

Anyways, that's the end of my long rambles on the topic. : )

Moonlight, thanks so much for your expert input. This is the stuff that only a master seamstress or dressmaker would know. It's so reassuring to all of us with "individual" figures to realize that we can look stunning in a dress if someone with some smarts can help us with choices and fitting.

I'm fascinated by dressmaking and such, though I only sew for dolls (and not at a very advanced level). It's always wonderful to hear how different tailoring and fitting techniques can make a difference and make each person look and feel good (and even glamorous when the occasion calls for it). I never would have figured out the importance of the waistline in a strapless dress. Obviously the people who work in your bridal shop really understand technique and how to apply it to each person's particular measurements.

It's also great to know that sleeves are coming back in, in case any of us needs to find something of the dressier variety in the future. And boleros!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have seen the Disney styles. I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan..... usually too gaudy.

yeah the guy that does the designing now seems too get his ideas from ice dance costumes... too many feathers! the ones from about 5 years ago were perfect! I think women should stick to designing Disney Wedding gowns lol they seem to get it a whole lot more for some reason. Probably because they grew up with the princesses or something.

louisa05

Final Flight
There is hope for bridal to get away from the obsession with strapless. I just saw this article recently:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/f...-but.html?_r=2&smid=tw-nytimesstyle&seid=auto

Not only the Duchess, but also Lauren Bush wore sleeves in her wedding to the son of Ralph Lauren this summer. So the trend is gaining.

I did not want strapless for my wedding in part because it is so over done and in part because it didn't feel appropriate for a church wedding to me. Fortunately, Jenna Bush married in a sleeveless but not strapless dress the spring before I got engaged. I ended up finding several dresses similar on top to hers and bought one cut that way on top (not the same otherwise).

Oh, my goodness, is that poor child's married name Lauren Lauren? This is one woman who absolutely has to keep her maiden name.

I thought of this thread over the weekend when I passed by a wedding party posing for photos outside a hotel. The bride was in a strapless gown, standing there shuddering in bundle-up weather, and I thought that this must have been the moment when she regretted deciding on a winter wedding. Yes, Mrs. X, this is the reason the hotel wasn't booked up solid for the weekend you chose. Well, she looked happy and pretty, and maybe the honeymoon is on some tropical island.