how was all your first private lessons?? | Golden Skate

how was all your first private lessons??

litto_mos

Spectator
i want to be really good in ice skating so i can compete for fun.. and all that good stuff.. but then im so scared of signing up for private lessons.. i dunno why.. everytime my mom asks me i lag.. im so scared of asking the coaches..
so how were your first private lesson classes??

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
One Word: AWESOME!

Litto Mos, if you have the opportunity to take private lessons, you should just jump on it. It is so way better than a group lesson, and you progress at a much faster rate because of the private attention.

At first you might feel nervous because you're thinking, well I can't hide behind anyone and all the pressure/attention is on little ole me! But a good coach gets you going and you get so motivated that you find you are sorry when your time is up. I take my lessons at 7:00 a.m. and I am SO NOT a morning person, that when I first wake up, I'm all grumbly and cranky and the last thing in the world I want to do is get out of my warm bed and onto some cold ice rink. But I know I have my lesson, so I haul my sorry butt out there and skate around a bit lethargically. Then my coach arrives. She'll say, o.k., let's do that backspin and I think "groan moan," but then I do one, and she's all , "wow, that's looking so much better; now move your right arm here" and when I do, the spin is perfectly centered. Now I can't do enough, and I have tons of energy, and jumps and spins come popping off and it's just great!

Even as a beginner, nothing feels better than having someone tell you what you are doing right so that you can do more of it. All of a sudden your stroking is gliding along, and you're gaining power, and you feel strong.

All I can say is, go for it! You develop a nice relationship with your coach, and if your parents are willing to pay for the lessons, grab all you can get!

The other side of the privates is that you want to be sure you are practicing in between. Because coaches cram a lot into the 20-30 minutes they are teaching you. You don't have time to do it all and perfect it IN the lesson. So if you can practice it in between, each lesson becomes even more of a progressive improvement.

Good luck, and let us know how your lessons go!

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Private lessons are wonderful! You have the attention of the coach for the whole time. This is important, because as you develop a relationship with your coach, he/she will get to know you, your skating, your fears and concerns. He/she will celebrate with you on your successes. Your coach becomes more than just a teacher - they become a cheerleader, a mentor, and a sounding board for your ideas. As good and caring as coaches who teach group lessons are (and most of those coaches also teach privates), logistically they simply cannot offer their skaters the kind of opportunities and support that they can when there's a private lesson relationship.

Go for it! Good luck.

CassidyL

Rinkside
litto_mos said:
i want to be really good in ice skating so i can compete for fun.. and all that good stuff.. but then im so scared of signing up for private lessons.. i dunno why.. everytime my mom asks me i lag.. im so scared of asking the coaches..
so how were your first private lesson classes??

If you are scared, why don't you get your mom to ask. My Mom always took care of my lesson times. I'm not even sure if the coach would contract that with me directly. I'm sure they would want to speak to a parent anyway.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi litto mos! When I was young and started skating my first lesson was private and I had only private lessons. I think being the only one I was able to learn very fast. I remember my mom asked the other mothers what was a good coach for a beginner and that is how I found mine. She didn't work with the higher level skaters so she was perfect for me. Have your mom and you find just the right coach for you. Don't be afraid to take lessons, that is what the coaches are there for. Good luck and let us know what happens:)

icedream

Rinkside
if you can think of someone who teaches your group lessons that you like a lot and teaches the right way, that is exactly who should be coaching you. Your mom seems very supportive and thats great! she will probably ask around for you!
you definitely should get a coach, they help a lot and make the best of friends. i love my coach :D

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
litto_mos:

I started out in group lessons before taking private lessons. It's great having a "one-on-one" relationship with your coach. You get their full attention.

You sound like you are enthusiastic about skating - that's what coaches like to see. Go ahead, take the plunge.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
You will most likely find out that the coaches are more eager to take you on than you think. Give it a shot!!!