Project Runway All Stars - Did Anyone Watch???? | Golden Skate

Project Runway All Stars - Did Anyone Watch????

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did you think of the whole new setup??? :disapp: :disapp: Does anyone know why there all new judges and host????

mmcdermott

On the Ice
What ??? It's not on here until Monday. Who is the new host ?? That's stupid. They've been hyping it up with ads but no mention of any changes to the cast. Is Tim still there?

I was a bit peeved when I found out who was going to be on it. Except for Mondo and a few others these are hardly the "MVP's" of their respective seasons. Probably just whoever was willing to do it all again.

Yeah, I was hoping for people like Laura (the one with the elaborate twenties-style dresses), Ulli, and Kayne, but maybe they've succeeded enough so they don't want to go back to boot camp for a few sleepless weeks.

heyang

Record Breaker
My best guess about the new hosts and judges is that they wanted people who didn't have preconceived opinions of the designers and/or relationships with them. While I would suspect that the current host and judges watched PR during past seasons, they don't 'know' the people.

During an interview, Anthony Bourdain mentioned that it's hard to judge your friends. That's one reason why he is not a regular judge on Top Chef. Also, Debbie Allen has deliberately withdrawn from judging So You THink You Can Dance when one of her former students is in the Top 20 to eliminate any chance of bias - either negative or positive.

Since, Heidi, Michael and Nina have judged off of the all-stars in the past, they might not remain as impartial.... as for Tim, it's possible he had prior commitments. I don't think this season is timed with Fashion Week - so, he may not have been available to mentor due to his duties to Liz Claiborne AND his new show The Revolution is set to start on ABC daytime on January 16th.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was a bit peeved when I found out who was going to be on it. Except for Mondo and a few others these are hardly the "MVP's" of their respective seasons. Probably just whoever was willing to do it all again.

'All Stars' tends to mean memorable, instead of best of best. I definitely agree that some of them shouldn't be considered competitive.
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...s-cast-announced---are-your-favorites-in.html

the link probably describes why some of them were brought back....

mmcdermott

On the Ice
Since, Heidi, Michael and Nina have judged off of the all-stars in the past, they might not remain as impartial.... as for Tim, it's possible he had prior commitments. I don't think this season is timed with Fashion Week - so, he may not have been available to mentor due to his duties to Liz Claiborne AND his new show The Revolution is set to start on ABC daytime on January 16th.

I was thinking it was probably because they had other commitments. Is there still someone from Marie Claire magazine there? Or is a different magazine involved? That could be the reason for Nina Garcia not being there either... or maybe she's not at Marie Claire anymore or something ...

Whether they use the term All-Stars or MVP's (as it was advertised), it still implies to me that these should be the best of the best... but I'll read that link later when I have time ;)

mmcdermott

On the Ice
And does Nina Garcia still work at Marie Claire?

Now I'm obsessed with finding out how all this happened! From what I can find out there was some overlap in the taping of Season 9 and All Stars (Why would they do that ???). Tim Gunn felt it would be too much to try to do both at the same time (plus that other new show he's on). With Heidi it was a dispute over money, although they're insisting she isn't leaving Project Runway altogether. She has a big family, so I can understand why it would take a lot for her to do a second season right after the regular one.

I can't seem to find much about why Nina Garcia and Michael Kors aren't there ... Maybe similar reasons, or needing to focus on their other work.

I don't like how they've been spending such little time on the design process for the past few seasons. It's 10:30 and they're heading for the runway already...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like how they've been spending such little time on the design process for the past few seasons. It's 10:30 and they're heading for the runway already...
I think that is my biggest complaint. I want to see how the deisgn & fashion comes together. Too many changes for a show I really liked before they moved to Lifetime.

I'm finally getting to watch Episode 1, and they're now showing Episode 2. I'm pleased to see that Rami, one of my favorite designers ever, is on, as are Austin Scarlett, Mondo (whose stuff I don't always love but who I can see is good), and April, who is always fabulous. The judges include Mark Badgeley and James Mischka, and they're very articulate. They've been on the show before, and I enjoyed their input.

Is anyone else watching?

heyang

Record Breaker
I was surprised Mondo wasn't in the Top 3, but then I backtracked and consider the 'task'.....I guess it wasn't considered 'opera' night enough.

I was surprised Austin won. I didn't watch his season, but I thought his dress was safe.

Kara and Sweet Pea definitely didn't sell their dresses. At least on air, neither said 'this is for the teen opera fan'..... and both looked bridesmaid/prom.

I think Rami should stay away from pink. ..... the dress was nice, but his working with pink reminds me of his outfit for the GLOW.

I like that it seems that many of them are close. A lot of them had arms around another while they sat on the sofa talking. As much as Mike C bitched about April also choosing red, he was the 1st person to hug her when she came back to the waiting room.

It seems that Mike C is getting a lot more respect than he did during his original season, too.

Still love Mondo!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love this season, all my favs are back. I am rooting for Michael C. Love his designs. 42

I'm rooting for Austin. I've loved his work since the first season. I loved his dress last week. Besides, did anyone watch the series he had with Santino, where they go to various locations across the country and create a dress for some average working woman? It was lovely and unexpected. If there were ever two fashion designers who seemed unlikely to get along with people outside a fashion atelier, it's the rarefied Austin and the over-the-top Santino. But they were wonderful: warm and even chivalrous to a delightful assortment of women who worked as ranchers, fishing boaters, military instructors, and shopkeepers. They treated each of these women as if they were twenty-year-old size-zero models or socialites. They even made a second dress for the eighty-year-old mother of one of the women.

So I'm rooting for Austin.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was surprised that Michael won the gelato challenge. While the color will look nice on the guest judge, it really didn't make me think grapefruit in any way.

None of the designs were great IMHO which is why I probably would've picked Mondo's for the win because it definitely screamed Cantelope.

Didn't care for Mila's dress nor Rami's.

However, I think I would've sent Kara home. That dress was boring - even if it was constructed better than April's IMHO.

I preferred Mondo's dress also. The colors just went well together. But my favorite dress was Rami's. Loved those greens together!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like Anthony's dress. I think it was a toss up between Kara and April.

Did anyone watch the theater challenge? Everyone had to design a dress for a character in the play Godspell, which is shortly being revived on Broadway. Wow, Mondo's dress was just magical. The minute I saw it, my entire brain lighted up.

heyang

Record Breaker
I thought Mondo's was the only outfit that looked right for the play and it was the only one that had any real 'pop' and 'wow' factor iMHO.

I thought Jerrell's was awful for the challenge and thought he should've been in the bottom.

Mila's was boring. Kara's was unimaginative. I wasn't surprised that they let Kara go because she's been in the bottom so often.

I'll miss Kara, though. She was a designer from the first year I watched, so I feel a bit attached to her. She never seemed snarky or arrogant. I also love her South African accent. Everything she says sounds glamorous with that extra music in her voice. When she says "garment," it makes even a sundress sound like a gem of couture. Maybe they could just have her stay around and give commentary.

The one I really miss is Rami. I love his work and his personality. He has a confident yet courtly quality that makes me think he could even make me look chic!

But golly, that dress of Mondo's. The model looked as if she was dressed in butterfly wings--or as if she had wings that she had folded around her body. (The verse "Yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these" comes to mind.) I read somewhere that because the actress has to change clothes onstage, the production couldn't use the complete ensemble. Just the jacket, with that great cuff detailing, appears in the play. And I presume Mondo's name is in the program. Too bad the whole dress can't appear...it's a masterpiece of theatrical splendor.

Last edited: