Project Runway All Stars - Did Anyone Watch???? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Runway All Stars - Did Anyone Watch????

Tonight's challenge was avant-garde neon. Wait until you see the dresses! I don't want to give away any secrets until more people have watched.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kind of felt sorry for Jerrell because he thought his dress was really special. I was nervous for Michael. Sorry I thought Mondo should have won, I don't get Austin.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Well, Austin is my favorite. Michael my least, not because of his designs but if I remember correctly in his former outing he was accused of copying from the other designers & I tho't his design this week was very like Mondo's & while I don't care for most of Mondo's designs he definitely has his own outlook. I was a big fan of Christian Soriano's so I guess it follows that I like Austin's designs.

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't get Austin either. He does have a 'look', but it's not very fresh IMHO. I was surprised he won.

Personally, I find Austin to be more old school design while Christian Soriano has more edge (or in other words He's Fierce.)

A lot of people feel that Michael doesn't have a 'point of view'. i.e. if you lined up a bunch of outfits, you can pick out Monday, Jerrell, Austin, Mila, Kenley, and whatever's left would likely be Michael's. A lot of the designers thought that Michael didn't deserve to be in his season because he was self-taught, didn't know how to make a pattern, only knew basic sewing techniques, etc. Mondo felt the same until he had to work on a challenge with the guy and discovered that the guy was a quick learner and had good ideas. SO, he and Mondo became buddies.

Christian Siriano is my favorite of all the designers of all the seasons. Whatever "it" is, he's got it.

I agree with you that at least Austin, Mila, Mondo, and Kenley have a very strong viewpoint and (that overused word) aesthetic. Jerrell I don't recognize so easily and Michael not at all. I thought Kenley's "jacket" was incredibly beautiful this week, and I liked her winning dress last week, even though it kind of repeats ideas she's used before. That cutout section with the ruffles, added to the tapering princess-style waistline, was splendid. Yes, she uses several of the same ideas again and again, but they're her ideas. She doesn't echo anyone else. Be that as it may, I do think that in terms of overall quality and innovation, Mondo deserves to win this special all-star season. He isn't always my favorite, but he is probably the best designer there.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Christian Siriano is my all time favorite too. He's becoming a big time designer.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Final 3, Mondo, Austin and Michael. Kenley did herself in...she pooh poohed the advice she was given.

I'm disappointed about Kenley but understand why she ended up out. As you say, stubborn. But her clothes are frequently charming, and I think she'll find a place for herself in the garment world. I was amazed at Mondo's dress. I thought for sure that all those disparate strips would end up shrieking at one another, and the dress would be dreadful. Instead, it was very fresh and appealing. It would make a wonderful tunic, too. Austin's coat was very elegant, either belted or loose.

heyang

Record Breaker
Mondo's dress is being sold with a cord on the back to cinch the waist in a little bit. It is a cute dress and goes well with the other pieces on the website.

I did like Austin's coat, but don't think it matched the demographic of the webiste as well as Mondo's dress.

Kenley did herself in by changing her plan because she fell in love with a fabric that didn' work with her design.

I was sorta surprised that Michael didn't lose - he's made the same caftan before. While last year's winner Anya did a lot of caftans, all of hers did not have plunging necklines.

I know that Anya did a lot of caftans, but one could see that her work all had an individuality to it. I don't know if she has the versatility to be a really successful designer, but she has that spark of originality. I'm sure that she'll find a niche for herself. Michael's work often seems derivative. Of the current crop, I think Mondo and Austin have the greatest potential, though I agree with you that Austin's coat wasn't as youthful as Mondo's shift. I'm glad to hear about the drawstring; it will give the dress added versatility.

One thing I found interesting about last night's challenge is the variety of looks that people designed. There was a short activewear dress (Mondo's), a more sedate short dress (Kenley's), the coat, and the caftan.

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree with what you're saying about Anya. She was able to make her caftans all look different and more up to date as compared to Michael.

So far, MC doesn't have a 'look'. When you see a runway show, you know which is Kenley's, Mondo's and Austin's. Their aethetic is identifiable. Can't say the same about MC's. and he even admitted that he needs to determine his point of view as a designer, instead of being a dress maker.

Here's a link to Mondo's dress http://www.nanettelepore.com/new-arrivals/the-mystery-dress.html They picture the cord in the back, but it would also look cute if the cording was wrapped toward the front aa belt to really define a waist IMHO.

Last night they had a show on another network called something like Fashion Star, set up a bit differently. Each contestant sewed three versions of an item, and three buyers from large fashion stores (Macy's, Saks, and H&M) bid on them. If a designer received no bids from the buyers, he or she risked elimination. It's interesting because one criterion is marketability, so the clothing is a little less innovative. There are also three mentor/judges. One is Jessica Simpson, and I was pleasantly surprised at how articulate she is. She comes across as a nice person, supportive of the contestants and interested in her task. The show isn't as revealing of what it takes to design or make the clothes, because everyone is on and off the stage too fast. The designers show up in groups of two or three, introduce themselves briefly in a voiceover, prepare their models, and then receive reaction from the buyers and the mentors. The one aspect of the show that I find off-putting is that it seems to be done before a huge (and vocal) audience, to the tune of very loud, pulsating music. I'm not fond of loud noise. But I guess the producers were trying for a different format from Project Runway.

One unique gimmick is that anything that is bid on by the clothing stores is already available for sale from whichever store has ordered it.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
I saw that too, Olympia, and thought the exact same thing about the music! It would be a lot easier to watch if it wasn't for that loud, pulsing music. And I thought ... what's her name... Nicole Richie was kind of obnoxious.

There were some interesting clothes, but more the sort of thing you'd see in stores, though.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Fashion Show is about the runway experience and there is a lot of noise at them.

What I didn't like was how they would go away from the clothes to show the faces of the buyers, judges and/or the designers (usually jumping in excitement.) I wanted to see more of the clothes.

LOL - on of the 'morning crew' on WPLJ left the studio at 8:45 so that he could get over to H&M to buy one of the blazers he saw on the show last night.

Here's the link to the show if you missed it http://www.nbc.com/fashion-star/

I liked the white rosette dress and the asymetrical tunic that Macy's bought http://www.macys.com/campaign/socia...nning+Looks+Here&campaign_id=298&channel_id=1

The 2 pieces that H&M are selling are nice, too. http://www.hm.com/us/fashion-star#path=1.1

and the zipper skirt was a nice idea, too. http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/editorial/FashionStar.jsp?&sre=mhp1 It's sold out!

Just as the finale came on, a very dear friend called me and I missed a good deal of the show. (I watched out of the corner of my eye.) I know who won but haven't seen all the outfits. I hope they show the full episode, or at least the lineup of the outfits, online. I am happy with the winner, and I think all three guys did a good job with their apparel through the season.

Heyang, you're a peach! Thanks.

One of the great things about this incarnation of PR is that with the small final collection, each contestant stands onstage with all of his outfits. So I got to see the whole thing from these videos. I thought all three guys did a great job, but my affections continue to lie between Austin and Mondo. Both these men will do well in the fashion world, I think. I love Austin's pink and black color scheme, and I love Mondo's use of black and white, with red accents, and that wonderful Rorschach-blot textile he designed. This guy is a natural-born designer. And though he's (pardon the pun) cutting-edge, I feel that he respects women and wants to make them look good. (As opposed to Jeffrey, that rude designer who won season three, I think.) And of course Austin wants to make women look good! His ensembles are so graceful. I wish the contest could have ended in a tie. What did the rest of you think?