Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway All Stars - Did Anyone Watch????

Custom Title
    I preferred Mondo's dress also. The colors just went well together. But my favorite dress was Rami's. Loved those greens together!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I really like Anthony's dress. I think it was a toss up between Kara and April.

Custom Title
    Did anyone watch the theater challenge? Everyone had to design a dress for a character in the play Godspell, which is shortly being revived on Broadway. Wow, Mondo's dress was just magical. The minute I saw it, my entire brain lighted up.

I thought Mondo's was the only outfit that looked right for the play and it was the only one that had any real 'pop' and 'wow' factor iMHO.

I thought Jerrell's was awful for the challenge and thought he should've been in the bottom.

Mila's was boring. Kara's was unimaginative. I wasn't surprised that they let Kara go because she's been in the bottom so often.

Custom Title
    I'll miss Kara, though. She was a designer from the first year I watched, so I feel a bit attached to her. She never seemed snarky or arrogant. I also love her South African accent. Everything she says sounds glamorous with that extra music in her voice. When she says "garment," it makes even a sundress sound like a gem of couture. Maybe they could just have her stay around and give commentary.

The one I really miss is Rami. I love his work and his personality. He has a confident yet courtly quality that makes me think he could even make me look chic!

But golly, that dress of Mondo's. The model looked as if she was dressed in butterfly wings--or as if she had wings that she had folded around her body. (The verse "Yet Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these" comes to mind.) I read somewhere that because the actress has to change clothes onstage, the production couldn't use the complete ensemble. Just the jacket, with that great cuff detailing, appears in the play. And I presume Mondo's name is in the program. Too bad the whole dress can't appear...it's a masterpiece of theatrical splendor.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-18-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Michael & Mondo are my favorites.

Custom Title
    Tonight's challenge was avant-garde neon. Wait until you see the dresses! I don't want to give away any secrets until more people have watched.

I kind of felt sorry for Jerrell because he thought his dress was really special. I was nervous for Michael. Sorry I thought Mondo should have won, I don't get Austin.

Well, Austin is my favorite. Michael my least, not because of his designs but if I remember correctly in his former outing he was accused of copying from the other designers & I tho't his design this week was very like Mondo's & while I don't care for most of Mondo's designs he definitely has his own outlook. I was a big fan of Christian Soriano's so I guess it follows that I like Austin's designs.

I don't get Austin either. He does have a 'look', but it's not very fresh IMHO. I was surprised he won.

Personally, I find Austin to be more old school design while Christian Soriano has more edge (or in other words He's Fierce.)

A lot of people feel that Michael doesn't have a 'point of view'. i.e. if you lined up a bunch of outfits, you can pick out Monday, Jerrell, Austin, Mila, Kenley, and whatever's left would likely be Michael's. A lot of the designers thought that Michael didn't deserve to be in his season because he was self-taught, didn't know how to make a pattern, only knew basic sewing techniques, etc. Mondo felt the same until he had to work on a challenge with the guy and discovered that the guy was a quick learner and had good ideas. SO, he and Mondo became buddies.

Custom Title
    Christian Siriano is my favorite of all the designers of all the seasons. Whatever "it" is, he's got it.

I agree with you that at least Austin, Mila, Mondo, and Kenley have a very strong viewpoint and (that overused word) aesthetic. Jerrell I don't recognize so easily and Michael not at all. I thought Kenley's "jacket" was incredibly beautiful this week, and I liked her winning dress last week, even though it kind of repeats ideas she's used before. That cutout section with the ruffles, added to the tapering princess-style waistline, was splendid. Yes, she uses several of the same ideas again and again, but they're her ideas. She doesn't echo anyone else. Be that as it may, I do think that in terms of overall quality and innovation, Mondo deserves to win this special all-star season. He isn't always my favorite, but he is probably the best designer there.

Christian Siriano is my all time favorite too. He's becoming a big time designer.

Final 3, Mondo, Austin and Michael. Kenley did herself in...she pooh poohed the advice she was given.

Custom Title
    I'm disappointed about Kenley but understand why she ended up out. As you say, stubborn. But her clothes are frequently charming, and I think she'll find a place for herself in the garment world. I was amazed at Mondo's dress. I thought for sure that all those disparate strips would end up shrieking at one another, and the dress would be dreadful. Instead, it was very fresh and appealing. It would make a wonderful tunic, too. Austin's coat was very elegant, either belted or loose.

Mondo's dress is being sold with a cord on the back to cinch the waist in a little bit. It is a cute dress and goes well with the other pieces on the website.

I did like Austin's coat, but don't think it matched the demographic of the webiste as well as Mondo's dress.

Kenley did herself in by changing her plan because she fell in love with a fabric that didn' work with her design.

I was sorta surprised that Michael didn't lose - he's made the same caftan before. While last year's winner Anya did a lot of caftans, all of hers did not have plunging necklines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast