Your favorite surprise | Golden Skate

Your favorite surprise

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This could be an event where a skater (any discipline) came from behind, upset the favorite, skated great, and finally had their moment.

There must be many in the sport. One of my great aha skating memories is Paul Wylie in Albertville. I thought his free program was so good and I knew so little of him. He was out of nowhere for me (limited viewing I guess). I thought WOW, this guy should win. Still think he deserved the gold. Then hearing his story made it all the better. The best part was he went on to be an SOI standout. Paul Wylie is in my top 10 best skaters for his programs as a pro. I love his skating and he is up there with Kurt, Yagudin, Plushenko, Orser, Boitano for me, in term of beautiful skating. His posture and lines were just the best. I miss him mucho.

Ladies great upset surprises Liz Manley 1988 Oly skate to silver. I felt she was deserving of the gold for her LP. I enjoyed her so much more than Kat.

What upset or come from behind racehorse is among your favorites and why?

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'd have to go with Sarah Meier at last year's Euros. Meier is a lovely skater who had so much bad luck with injuries during her career, especially her final few seasons. She had an awful Olympic year and didn't even make it out of the SP at 2010 Worlds. She nonetheless decided to return for one last season - basically so that she could skate at Euros in her own country - but things got off to a bad start as she once again missed the fall season with an injury. Top 6 might have been a realistic goal, but then to everyone's surprise (including her own) she was in medal position after the SP. Sarah was the last skater in the LP, and skated a really good program; she was very emotional when it ended, and of course got a standing ovation.

Like many people watching at home, I knew what score she needed to win, and once the numbers came up, it was clear that she was the European champion even before she realized it. Then the number 1 flashed up, and her reaction was priceless. It was her final competitive event, and she went out a champion. Good for her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Recently? Evan Lysacek winning in Vancouver. My jaw dropped so fast and hard. I really believed like everyone else that if Plushy stayed on his feet, no matter who skated what, he'd win outright. I woke up the whole house with my "OH MY GOD". Great memory lol

macy

Record Breaker
czisny's entire 2010-2011 season. she did awesome in all of her gp events including winning the gpf, but her nationals lp was the big one. that was her breakthrough. it was so exciting and satisfying to see her finally skate a clean performance with confidence and focus, and it was beautiful. the ending of that program was so exciting. she deserved every bit of that win, along with her gpf win and a top 5 finish at worlds. still so happy for her and i'm hoping she will defend her title this year.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rudy's win @ 1996 US Nationals (even though I obviously adore Todd - Rudy deserved this win) and Paul Wylie's silver medal in 1992 Olympics!

Unlike you, skateluvr, I had been following Wylie for a few years, and I just loved his skating. He always seemed to implode in the LP, so I had become used to just enjoying his short programs. At Albertville, I couldn't believe my eyes. That wonderful "Henry V" program remains spectacular to watch. I open it on YouTube periodically to this day.

I hoped for him to win, too, though I think Petrenko is a fine gold medalist. There's a story that a reporter or two asked Wylie if he thought he should have won the gold. He gave them a big smile and said, "How much of a Cinderella story do you guys want?" That about says it for me.

Was it in 1988 that Midori Ito skated that amazing LP in the Olympics? That was a big surprise, though it didn't net her a medal. It put her on the map, I think. So I'd add that to the list.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
For me it's gotta be Shen & Zhao winning in 2010. They'd been around so long, and it seemed in 2006 they were thought to be almost done and the Zhangs were considered the future of Chinese pairs skating. I'd been a fan since seeing them in Nagano '98, and I was so happy for them.

Pang & Tong were a nice surprise too at that same event. I love seeing older competitors finally bring it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'd like to echo Buttercup's mention of Meier. As mentioned, the struggles with injuries had pretty much decimated 2008 onwards for Meier, but she always displayed tremendous guts. Her moment in Berne and her reaction was a beautiful highlight of last season. It's the joy and relief and sadness - her reaction after her skate, after seeing her score, and after seeing she was in first. The audience, of course. A nice bonus was the LP score: both the TES and PCS were 56.02, which is very rare. On top of that, both Kostner and Korpi seemed pleased for her - both understood what kind of moment it was for her and played down their (presumed) disappointment. A really great moment all around.

Shawn Sawyer at 2011 Nationals. His decision to come back wasn't cheered by Skate Canada (according to him - recall, he only got one GP that season initially) and he had two flawed skates at his GPs (often one solid program, one disaster). But he was showing a calm at 2011 Nationals that he hadn't demonstrated before. I remember watching him in the warm-up before the LP thinking: "he's totally going to nail this." And he did. I love watching his coaches afterwards - Sophie Richard and Anne Barabe are both cheering, Yvan Dujardins (sp?) is chuckling with delight. One of the great skates of the 2010/2011 season.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Rudy's win @ 1996 US Nationals (even though I obviously adore Todd - Rudy deserved this win) and Paul Wylie's silver medal in 1992 Olympics!

Rudy's 1996 skate is so memorable and everyone was in his corner. His life, his losses, everything. It is hard to think of a skater I was happier for than Rudy. While he was sad he only got bronze at Worlds, it gave him a great start at a pro career. When I think of fun all time show skating, it is Rudy that comes to mind. I wish he was being inducted too this year and I don't understand why not.?:sheesh:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'd have to go with Sarah Meier at last year's Euros. Meier is a lovely skater who had so much bad luck with injuries during her career, especially her final few seasons. She had an awful Olympic year and didn't even make it out of the SP at 2010 Worlds. She nonetheless decided to return for one last season - basically so that she could skate at Euros in her own country - but things got off to a bad start as she once again missed the fall season with an injury. Top 6 might have been a realistic goal, but then to everyone's surprise (including her own) she was in medal position after the SP. Sarah was the last skater in the LP, and skated a really good program; she was very emotional when it ended, and of course got a standing ovation.

Like many people watching at home, I knew what score she needed to win, and once the numbers came up, it was clear that she was the European champion even before she realized it. Then the number 1 flashed up, and her reaction was priceless. It was her final competitive event, and she went out a champion. Good for her.

Agree wholeheartedly! I remembered the piece and it inspired me to do better in my own life last year. I put a piece on the victory on my blog here: http://artfulintel.blogspot.com/2012/01/art-on-ice-sarah-meier.html - Enjoy! :)

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Ryan getting his national title... biased but I was so excited. You can tell me USFSA handed it to him all you want but once he began messing up during the FS I seriously thought it was over. I was hoping for a bronze or silver at that point. I started screaming when I saw his scores come up :biggrin:. I got emotional too... it was really amazing to see him on top of the podium.

Evan's Oly gold for me also, I thought Plushenko had it. I was really excited Evan won.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I agree about Paul Wylie in Albertville 1992 and Rudy Galindo at Nationals 1996. Definitely two of the biggest upsets/surprises in skating history, and so memorable.

When I think about other surprises--moments I didn't expect--the first two that came to mind both involve Michelle Kwan.

1. 1993 Olympic Festival. Michelle was just 13 years old. There was a huge crowd at this event (over 10,000 people), yet Michelle was competely unfazed. She landed 6 or 7 triples in her long program, I think. More than that, she skated her heart out and, in that performance, showed the ability to connect emotionally with audiences that was so special and unique to her. The crowd gave her a huge standing ovation. It was a fascinating moment. I had never seen this little girl skate before, but knew from that day on she was going to be a very important skater.

2. 1994 Worlds. At 14, Michelle was already skating at her second Worlds. She made the final group for the long program. Although still immature artistically, she nevertheless took command of the ice in her long program and landed seven triples, I think. She finished fourth, just off the podium, but it was clear she was the future of ladies' figure skating. Right after the free skate, the cameras showed her U.S. teammates watching her in the stands. The expression on their faces was a mixture of excitement--and a bit of awe.

Right you are, Pogue. It was a year before she won. In 1994 Worlds, she was the only U.S. competitor who had a chance of finishing in the top ten and assuring us of two places the next year. She did the job, finishing eighth. I wouldn't include that 1994 appearance as a surprise, but it was surely one of the most moving experiences I've had as a skating fan. I was already a fan of Michelle's, but that year I knew I had signed on to something wonderful.

I'd add to our list of surprises Elaine Zayak's marvelous world bronze in 1984. Nobody thought she had it in her. After becoming world champion in 1982, she had slipped considerably and not done well in the Sarajevo Olympics. Now here she was, at top form. I still remember the look of joyous surprise on her face when she landed one particular triple.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm surprised that people found Lysacek's win surprising. He was the world champion, the GPF champion, had a powerful federation on his side and was marked very well going into the Olympics.

I've already mentioned Sarah Meier, and I see that others agree. Here are a few more results that I'd consider surprising - in a good way:
1. Joannie not only persevering after her mother's death, but skating well enough to earn an Olympic medal.
2. Gachinski, Kostner and the Shibs winning medals at 2011 Worlds - and Kostner capping a season of nothing but podium finishes after being so inconsistent for so long. Actually the Shibs isn't as much of a good surprise since it happened because of P/B's unfortunate fall, but they did skate well.
3. Dube/Davison's bronze in 2008, a year after that awful accident and skating the same program.
4. KvdP and his two Euros medals (by a grand total of 0.13 of a point - combined!)
5. Evora and Ladwig get the silver and the Olympic ticket at 2010 US Nats. As a bonus, they then did well in Vancouver and were clearly thrilled to be there.
6. Laura Lepisto and Cynthia Phaneuf's results at 2010 Worlds.

Bdan

Rinkside
What about tonia kwiakowski's lp from 1998 worlds? Tara and Nicole had dropped out and it was a sort of retribution for her past sins. She didn't medal but it was an exciting skate.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm surprised that people found Lysacek's win surprising. He was the world champion, the GPF champion, had a powerful federation on his side and was marked very well going into the Olympics.

I think those of us who listed Evan gave our reasoning as to why. Plush was reigning Oly champ and had a lot of clout (and a major federation) going into the games, too... Yeah, there was that email, but honestly I don't believe it was the reason for the outcome...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rudy's 1996 skate is so memorable and everyone was in his corner. His life, his losses, everything. It is hard to think of a skater I was happier for than Rudy. While he was sad he only got bronze at Worlds, it gave him a great start at a pro career. When I think of fun all time show skating, it is Rudy that comes to mind. I wish he was being inducted too this year and I don't understand why not.?:sheesh:

As much as I :love: Michelle, I think Rudy should be inducted into the USFS HOF this month with her. I hope it happens some day.

I was thrilled that Tonia K. got to skate @ 1998 Worlds and skated very well. I think some of the judges undermarked her.

I was also ecstatic for Sarah Maier winning Europeans last year.