Worst fall you've seen someone at the rink take? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worst fall you've seen someone at the rink take?

ryanbfan

On the Ice
One of the worst I've seen is one of mine.

When I started skating, I was working on mohawks, which are a b****. Anyways, I lost my balance, and fell on my behind, just like everyone else. Except when I fell, it made a loud smacking sound, and there weren't many people at the rink, but I just kinda sat there like "that couldn't have been me, could it?". My coach wasn't even sure if I was alright, in fact usually when I fall she can tell I'm okay and doesn't ask me, except this time she asked me. When I got up, my butt really hurt and the hand I used to cushion my fall was asleep. I was really sore for the next few days then the soreness went away, and I noticed a point in the center of my lower back was EXTREMELY tender to the touch. I went and got x rays... the first diagnosis was I dislocated my tailbone and a few bones. The 2nd and final diagnosis was I broke it. No skating for a month. Now I'm terrified to fall on my behind again, and my coach holds her breath every time I fall because it is THAT easy to open up that 'wound' again...

The 2nd being one my coach told me about, she did a jump in competition and fell and slid across the ice. Her hand got caught under the rink door, wanting to finish her program, she yanked her hand out from the rink door, and her ring got caught and yeah... you can guess the rest. She finished her program and her hand was just a disaster, the judges even asked her why she didn't stop.

treesprite

Final Flight
I just remembered this...

When I was a teenager, I was in a lesson and doing a scratch spin when I somehow leaned to the side and fell bam! on the side of my face. It was so loud my coach and others thought I broke my cheek bone. I just ended up with a badly bruised cheekbone area that hurt for a few weeks. It was a scary kind of fall though.

lcd

Match Penalty
mskater93, thanks for sharing such a literal recollection. I did the same. Ouch!!!!

leafygreens

Final Flight
The worst is when you are just stroking around, unprepared, catch a toe pick, go flying, and land on all fours (knees and elbows) at the same time. That has brought me to tears a couple of times.

But the actual worst is I have fallen on my FACE after a skate sharpening (flying camel spin) and got a concussion and stitches. I couldn't skate for two weeks. It was also traumatic for all the little girls, who were screaming at the blood.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
The worst is when you are just stroking around, unprepared, catch a toe pick, go flying, and land on all fours (knees and elbows) at the same time. That has brought me to tears a couple of times.

But the actual worst is I have fallen on my FACE after a skate sharpening (flying camel spin) and got a concussion and stitches. I couldn't skate for two weeks. It was also traumatic for all the little girls, who were screaming at the blood.

That second one sounds awful... ouch.

I just had a fall a few weeks ago... I tried to fall on my hip since I'm trying to stay off my tailbone. Except I rolled over, my shirt went up, so I slid on my bare stomach. Not only that, when I flipped onto my stomach, I banged my elbow HARD into the ice. It bruised pretty badly, and I think I fractured it.

Ice - 2
Me - 0

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I just took a trip down the stairs of the bleachers at rink this weekend. In my shoes.

Escondido?

Mine was in the bowl (San Diego Ice Arena is like a bowl, because the ice is higher on the corners). I was winding up for a spin, my blades got caught up. My skating foot (left) wanted to go one way, and everything ABOVE the knee went the other way. I came crashing down on the ice, and was on crutches for three months.

The worst fall(s) I've ever seen came from this performance: http://youtu.be/fZ8ClJSYB-A

Irishflip

On the Ice
I haven't seen too many bad falls, but one that was quite bad was a guy at my rink did a double axel out the door! Thank god someone left it open or he would have smashed full force against it :bang: :eek: