Worst fall you've seen someone at the rink take? | Golden Skate

Worst fall you've seen someone at the rink take?

Johar

Medalist
Ever see someone have a nasty fall that made you hurt just watching?

Last winter I saw a man fall on the ramp leading down to the ice. One foot had been on the ice and the other was still on the ramp. He fell backwards. Hard. Ouch!

treesprite

Final Flight
MINE!

My friend took a rest on a bench in a side box, and I was standing there talking, not moving, just standing still. Next thing I know I was down with spiral fractures in both my tibia and my fibula. I was so out of it in screeching pain, but heard the EMT say he was going to cut my NEW boot off of my foot. A skating friend who was a military nurse came to my rescue and made them let her take the skate off the normal way, just cutting the lace. I was in the ER and the ortho surgeon looked at me and said my knee was pointing east while my foot was pointing west. So I went off in a flash to surgery, where a metal plate was screwed in place to hold my tibia together, and unfortunately the end of the plate was rested on top of my inside ankle. I spent several days in the hospital, but while I was there, a skating friend brought me a card that was signed by every single person who skated during the same sessions as me :) (she also had brought my skates to the hospital, bearing her blue blade soakers which I still use to this day). After the last cast was finally gone (they replaced the cast 3 times), I did my first round of physical therapy. A year later my leg was constantly hurting because of the plate position. So I went back to surgery and the plate was removed. So then I had to wait another year for the holes to heal before I could skate again. Went back to skate and found that I had to do physical therapy again. Got back to doing freestyle stuff, but one day while out in the middle of the ice, I just "froze", couldn't move, was in a state of panic, and thus started my phobia that kept me off the ice for about 3 years. Now I am back and that dang freak accident is still haunting me with ankle/foot problems.

Moral of my story is: Never take standing still in skates on the ice for granted - make sure you know exactly where your feet are and their position, because all it takes to cause this heartache is an inadvertent slight turn of the foot.

Top that.

A senior ice dance team, for what ever reason they guy was upset with the girl and he pushed her trough a partially open door, she hit the edge of the door full force with the side of her hip and had to be carried off the ice. It was the end of that partnership.

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
A senior ice dance team, for what ever reason they guy was upset with the girl and he pushed her trough a partially open door, she hit the edge of the door full force with the side of her hip and had to be carried off the ice. It was then end of that partnership.
Holy Cow!

thevaliantx

Rinkside
there is just NO EXCUSE for someone taking their anger out on another person when it comes to .... let's face it .... ice skating. We can all easily think of things worse in this world that warrant shoving, pushing (or worse) another person. I feel for that girl.

the other day I was admiring just how good the skaters are at the rink I just started going to. One of the girls, who was very graceful and skilled out there on the ice, glided over to take a break. Now, this doesn't qualify as a 'fall', but she was just standing there chatting on her cell phone (while on the ice) and she immediately started looking a drunken sailor with how fast her feet were moving to prevent a fall. I was on the other side of the rink cracking up, realizing that it's very easy to slip on ice. :)

MINE!

My friend took a rest on a bench in a side box, and I was standing there talking, not moving, just standing still. Next thing I know I was down with spiral fractures in both my tibia and my fibula. I was so out of it in screeching pain, but heard the EMT say he was going to cut my NEW boot off of my foot. A skating friend who was a military nurse came to my rescue and made them let her take the skate off the normal way, just cutting the lace. I was in the ER and the ortho surgeon looked at me and said my knee was pointing east while my foot was pointing west. So I went off in a flash to surgery, where a metal plate was screwed in place to hold my tibia together, and unfortunately the end of the plate was rested on top of my inside ankle. I spent several days in the hospital, but while I was there, a skating friend brought me a card that was signed by every single person who skated during the same sessions as me :) (she also had brought my skates to the hospital, bearing her blue blade soakers which I still use to this day). After the last cast was finally gone (they replaced the cast 3 times), I did my first round of physical therapy. A year later my leg was constantly hurting because of the plate position. So I went back to surgery and the plate was removed. So then I had to wait another year for the holes to heal before I could skate again. Went back to skate and found that I had to do physical therapy again. Got back to doing freestyle stuff, but one day while out in the middle of the ice, I just "froze", couldn't move, was in a state of panic, and thus started my phobia that kept me off the ice for about 3 years. Now I am back and that dang freak accident is still haunting me with ankle/foot problems.

Moral of my story is: Never take standing still in skates on the ice for granted - make sure you know exactly where your feet are and their position, because all it takes to cause this heartache is an inadvertent slight turn of the foot.

Top that.

You are the second person I know of to take that kind of a fall, a good friend of mine did exactly the same thing, she never went back on the ice after that.

lilicedreamer

Rinkside
MINE!

Top that.

That simply scares me! I broke my wrist by doing a moving jump, simply up and down, during an ice skating class. I was working on getting out of adult two and into adult three. I know, it's a completely different game than being a youngster, but a whole group of adult three four women at my rink decided against any jumping when a prior student had broken both wrists doing a bunny hop! Now, we're all in our thirties, forties, fifties and sixties. So, it makes a difference. I have been gone for over a year and I'm still struggling with wrist pain, despite having the best surgeon. I have a wrist with movement, it took about 18 weeks and surgery and pt to get that back. It's not what it once was. I've been dragging my feet going back, cause I'm scared of more injuries.

treesprite

Final Flight
Just have to try to not put your hands on the ice when falling, unless it's to keep from cracking your skull. I hope you do get back to skating.

lilicedreamer

Rinkside
Quite honestly I don't know if I can do that. I noticed in the few weeks before my fall I was falling forward on my face and I just had to stick my hands out to save my head. But the wrist break occurred much like that prior student: I put both my hands out backwards to break my fall. It's a fall that I relived for three months and I just about had a fit every time I thought about it. I've not been on the ice since.

treesprite

Final Flight
I guess it depends on how emotionally connected you were previously to the skating. I've been completely addicted since I was a kid, so it seems no matter how long I have to be off (or afraid to be on), I always manage to get myself back on the ice. I just want back that high that I used to get when I could just fly around the ice as if the ice and me were the only two things in the universe (used to get to a lot of empty sessions). It was magic, surreal, like there is no way to describe that feeling. Growing up, skating was my savior from all that was bad in the world and it kept me sane.

I guess just be realistic. You can always change your mind later if reality doesn't meet your needs.

lilicedreamer

Rinkside
treesprite, I remember that! I haven't done that yet as an adult, but my stubbornness to be able to get back on the ice lasted almost a year, and then the injury and all the drama of surgery. I still have pain in that wrist and that's why I've held back. But, yes, I want to do that again too--someday.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I just took a trip down the stairs of the bleachers at rink this weekend. In my shoes.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Nope, I skated through the pain. Didn't skate my absolute best, but soldiered through. :) It didn't hurt as much as a stress fractured landing leg