Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Comical or shocking skating moments

Comical or shocking skating moments

Well, I think the funniest thing I ever saw was what came to be known as the Babs death glare at her partner in the Olympics when the poor guy made a mistake. I absolutely hated everything about this dance team and it makes me laugh to see that clip. Not all of skating is serious. What is your favorite funny, dumb, whatever moment in skating. (Be honest, LOL.)

Custom Title
    Oh, that was a rich one. Poor Mauritzio.

Funny with a lot less venom involved was Michelle Kwan when the streaker (or whatever he was) came onto the ice.

Custom Title
    I've got a good one. And I'm really really sorry to say that I don't know who the skater was. It happened many years ago when Toller Cranston was doing commentary for a ladies international event. A european skater had just done her program and was awaiting her results. She had a really ugly costume and it included a dog collar! This was certainly not your elegant princess skater; she was tough as nails and looked like she'd welcome a barroom brawl. The judges didn't like her and this was reflected in the marks. She jumped to her feet, put both hands on her hips and stared daggers at them. I thought she was going to go after them but a few people muscled her out before it got ugly. Johnny Esau was saying as little as possible and Toller was hissing that her behavior was completely unacceptable and that her coach would have to do something about it. I've often wondered who she was. I know she never got high in the rankings and I only recall seeing her the once. Very very funny.

Oh, I cant wait for the first dance team that does "Girl with the Dragon tatoo!" But the streaker that interupted the start of MK's skate was shocking......what, was that Worlds 2004?

Custom Title
    My two favorites from this season (so far...):
    1. http://i43.tinypic.com/110kg3d.jpg
    2. http://i41.tinypic.com/1zybtiq.jpg

I also very much enjoyed the British Eurosport guys talking about knives last year at Euros, especially since it was somewhere between 4 or 5AM for me.

Scott Hamilton skating to "I Love Me" (as the lounge lizard).

Kurt skating to "That's Entertainment."

Viktor Petrenko skating with the life size doll - Mambo #5

Plushy's "Sex Bomb"

Todd skating to "Who Let the Dogs Out?" in 2000 Improv-Ice

Custom Title
    Not comical, but shocking: 1994 World Championships Ladies' Medal Ceremony, when Surya Bonaly first refused to stand on the podium in the 2nd place spot, then after her medal was awarded, took it off in protest since she felt she wuzrobbed of the gold. I always felt sorry for the other medalists Tanja Szewczenko (bronze) and especially for Yuka Sato (gold), trying to maintain grace and dignity in a very awkward situation.

Definitely Patrick jumping into the boards, and Midori Ito jumping over them.

For funny exhibitions, Brasseur & Eisler's gender-switching performances deserve a mention. Patricia the Stripper is on YouTube but I seem to remember an older one that doesn't seem to be there. Of course, she brought this to Battle of the Blades in season 2 as well.

Patrick Chan had a "cartoon fall" awhile back that made me laugh.

I also had a good laugh at Patrick Chan's gorgeous quad-toe into the boards this year. Another funny fall: Jamie & David at the end of their Olympic SP.

As far as routines go, I recall Scott Hamilton's 'Hair' routine...he came out dressed in a hippie costume with an enormous long brown wig with peace signs all over his costume.

Speaking of Surya Bonaly; I laughed when she skated her LP in Nagano and threw in an illegal backflip at the end of a mediocre skate, then finished up laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    I've got a good one. And I'm really really sorry to say that I don't know who the skater was. It happened many years ago when Toller Cranston was doing commentary for a ladies international event. A european skater had just done her program and was awaiting her results. She had a really ugly costume and it included a dog collar! This was certainly not your elegant princess skater; she was tough as nails and looked like she'd welcome a barroom brawl. The judges didn't like her and this was reflected in the marks. She jumped to her feet, put both hands on her hips and stared daggers at them. I thought she was going to go after them but a few people muscled her out before it got ugly. Johnny Esau was saying as little as possible and Toller was hissing that her behavior was completely unacceptable and that her coach would have to do something about it. I've often wondered who she was. I know she never got high in the rankings and I only recall seeing her the once. Very very funny.
    hahahahahahahahha! i'm playing that out in my head and it's SO FUNNY

The whole Tonya/Nancy incident was shocking.

Midori Ito falling into a camera pit.

Surya Bonaly refusing to get on the podium.

Patrick Chan and Adam Rippon colliding in warmup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR2Xvu2xRe0

Shocking fall:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfX-s...eature=related

I am still shocked watching this Totmianina and Marinin fall years later. I was certain she was dead after hitting the ice like that.
    Last edited by Johar; 01-17-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Custom Title
    I remember that Brasseur/Eisler routine with great delight. They played it to the hilt, and the height difference worked perfectly for the gender reversal. It was like Miss Piggy and Kermit. When "she" flung "him" around in that headbanger spin, it was hysterical. After one performance of the routine, the camera followed the pair off the ice, and someone paid Eisler a teasing compliment (something about how pretty he looked). Without missing a beat, Eisler responded "Right back at you" in an amiable growl.

The Surya Bonaly podium meltdown was a mortifying moment. I felt sorry for her and angry at her at the same time. It must have been especially tough on Yuka, who was not only winning her only worlds but was standing in front of a home audience. I'm sure Surya did great damage to her reputation that day.

Custom Title
    Valentina Marchei at 2007 Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...r-bv-Ko#t=178s

It was in perfect timing with the music!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast