gio

Medalist
Shocking moments:
-Ito and Hubert collision
-Jessica Dube cut in the face by her parter's skate during a side by side camel
-Totmiania laying unconscious on ice after a really bad fall during a lift

Comical moments:
-Sasha Cohen throwing up on ice
-Joubert and Verner sending kisses and eyewinks to each other, when Joubert (or Verner) was at the kiss and cry after SP at Euros
-Bonaly doing a back flip at the Olympics

Johar

Medalist
Sasha Cohen vomited on the ice?!:eek:

Comical--Emanuel Sandhu blaming ghosts in his hotel room for a bad performance :biggrin:

gio

Medalist
Sasha Cohen vomited on the ice?!:eek:

Yes kinda of it!! There was a video montage on youtube of comical moments on ice that included that scene. I posted it here in 2007, but unfortunately the video is not available anymore.
Sasha in a warm up drank some water and than she threw up all (water and maybe something else too!! hehe). Maybe somebody remembers this.

Triplethreat16

Rinkside
I don't know if these are more comical than others mentioned, but some that make me laugh are.

- Pasha Grishuk interviews from around 1998-1999
- Oksana Baiul moments in late 90s and early 2000s
- Nancy's comment at Disneyland
- Oksana Baiul on Family Feud (did anyone see this?)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Wasn't the Family Feud thing a question like to whom do you talk most each day and she said she talked to God every day? There was stunned silence and then everyone tried to move on. I remember thinking huh?

Yipes!

Oksana was one of the original drama queens. Definitely a strong personality. I think in her mind she was always the star of her own universe. I guess that was a way to survive what she had gone through when younger. It sure made for good theater.

Nadine

Record Breaker
So talking to God is ridiculed. I talk to my Creator every day as well, so be it.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
So talking to God is ridiculed. I talk to my Creator every day as well, so be it.

No offence intended here. May I clarify? My "huh?" response was because her answer was so out of the blue, so unexpected and made her so vulnerable. The host was taken aback as were the other skaters. A very profound(to her) and deeply felt thing was raised on a light weight game show. Kat Witt, to her credit, jumped in and stated that she talked to God too. Then Scott H. did; the rest all joined in supportively. I admired them all for sensing a vulnerable moment and rushing to defend her.
I do not ridicule those who have faith; I think those who have it are lucky to have something to sustain them through life, as Olympia suggested. I don't need to know the details of which religion; I think that's private.
So, I'm sorry you were offended.

Now, can we get back to truly funny moments? I recall one when Underhill and Martini were doing their farewell show. They had been rehearsing a rather passionate number and Barb grabbed Paul's pants and yanked them down to his ankles. She was giggling hysterically and he was just kind of stunned at first. Then he couldn't stop laughing either. This is all in the tv show.

heyang

Record Breaker
Hehe. That was also mentioned before she even skated in the '94 Olympics; she was never one to hang medals in open display or anything; her past was in her past, and her world and national medals were "shoved in a box" that was "shoved in a drawer".

Also, who could forget her "she's just going to come out and cry again; what's the difference?" remark.:laugh: Not the most classy thing she could have said, but I'm sure she wasn't the only one thinking it. I really think people wouldn't have reacted with such horror at her comments if she hadn't been hyped up as some fairy tale princess goody-two-shoes to begin with.

To be fair, Nancy wasn't aware that a mike was on when she made the comment about the delay in the medals ceremony. After that, I was surprised about the Disney comment - more because she didn't learn that there are microphone's everywhere and to be cautious .

As do I, Nadine. And even if I had been an agnostic, I would never ridicule anyone's beliefs. I think I was taken aback because of the context of the situation. Oksana tended to dramatize herself in ways that outweighed the situation. As Scrufflet says, it made her sound more vulnerable; at such moments her wounded nature was often very clearly exposed, in the same way as (for another example) Judy Garland's often was in her later years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Now, can we get back to truly funny moments? I recall one when Underhill and Martini were doing their farewell show. They had been rehearsing a rather passionate number and Barb grabbed Paul's pants and yanked them down to his ankles. She was giggling hysterically and he was just kind of stunned at first. Then he couldn't stop laughing either. This is all in the tv show.

One of my favorite parts of their farewell show was when they were surprised by Orser and Browning - who couldn't make the show due to SOI committments made before plans for the farewell show. A snow storm cancelled the SOI show so Brian and Kurt hopped a plane and were there to skate - but no one told Barbie and Paul... they were FLOORED. Barb started bawling (which Kurt apparently LOVED) the minute she saw Orser, then Kurt stepped out with two stools so they would have front row seats to watch Brian skate "Story of My Life". Barb went to sit on the stool and it slipped and knocked over underneath her and she was on the ice! The whole crowd roared with laughter and Kurt looked behind him and there she is on the ice and he busted up laughing... Paul said something along the lines of "And we're still having to pick her up!"

All Barb kept saying was "[Brian] sent flowers yesterday!" ha ha! I watch that clip a lot. So thankful I have wonderful friends in Canada who send me these tidbits on tape!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
That show was wonderful! I went to it and although the arena was large, it felt very small, very cozy in a way so unusual. Happy, moving, very profound. I remember thinking, does it get much better than this? CBC radio, which rarely says anything about skating shows, commented the next day that it was truly a special experience and that Barb and Paul just wanted to keep skating, never leaving the ice.
Tonichelle, if you don't have the full tape, I would be happy to send it to you!

heyang

Record Breaker
I can't recall the competition - either US Nationals or Worlds - I'm leaning towards Nationals.

Mike Weiss was doing a camel spin - kinda slow. Suddenly, I realized that his pants split because I could see a patch of white cotton on his butt that wasn't on his dark costume seconds before.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That show was wonderful! I went to it and although the arena was large, it felt very small, very cozy in a way so unusual. Happy, moving, very profound. I remember thinking, does it get much better than this? CBC radio, which rarely says anything about skating shows, commented the next day that it was truly a special experience and that Barb and Paul just wanted to keep skating, never leaving the ice.
Tonichelle, if you don't have the full tape, I would be happy to send it to you!

No I don't have the full coverage, just the Kurt/Brian snippet! Please PM me!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There are so many Johnny Weir momens fromt at wreath of roses on his head to heck his I'm a swan or whatever bird costume that were hillarious. I mean that in a kind way too. Midori ito and Patrick Chan's crashes into the boards were funny, Sale and Pelltier's tumble a the end of the Oympic short and some of the guys holding some of those crazy stuffed animals are worth a chuckle. As for shock factor I would say Tania's horrible crash from a pairs lift, Dube and Davison's spinnning accident, the Zhang's attempted quad and the Tania/Nancy thing was all major shock factor to me.

Triplethreat16

Rinkside
I just rewatched the 98 Olympics and in my opinion, the most comical/embarrassing moment is the fluff piece that they did on Pasha Grishuk where she was singing "Happy Birthday Mr. President" and acting like Marilyn Monroe. They also talked about her changing her name to Pasha because people were mistaking her with Oksana Baiul. That whole piece is so funny and embarrassing, in my opinion. It's hard to watch because I'm embarrassed for her. I also can't believe that CBS even made this fluff piece. There was also another fluff piece with her around the same time that was similar where she was doing an interview in her closet and sticking her face right in the camera and saying "I really, really love the camera". Does anyone remember this? It used up be on Youtube, but I don't think it is anymore. I wonder is she is embarrassed by all that now?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, Pasha - I don't want to be confused with the bad Oksana, the evil Oksana. She says Pasha is in reference to the passionate person she is but I think it refers more to Pashmna that shawl which is supposed to be made of wonderful fabric but often is just a fake - polyester and or acrylic. Sorry, catty.

Has anyone mentioned the year at Nationals where Johnny Weir came onto the ice, stumbled, and then just left and never came back?