Comical or shocking skating moments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Comical or shocking skating moments

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tonya Harding being parodied on SNL when her skate laces broke-again-the rouged face the theatrical face, so crazy it was funny.

Most shocking Tonya moment, When she takes the NC title after the whack, then says on camera she cant wait to whip Nancy's butt. At the time, I was aghast as I knew she must've heard about the attack.

Yes, Totmianina's fall indeed--and then they kept replaying it throughout the season. Pairs skating is so scary sometimes. There was a similar fall suffered by Dan Zhang in the Olympics, wasn't there? Equally terrifying to watch.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Remember when Johnny Weir fell twice then had to withdraw? Can't remember if it was Nationals or Worlds.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Nancy Kerrigan's response to the millionth question after she was attacked, skated gold, but got silver. " Nancy, What will you do with your medal?" Nancy replies, " Oh probably throw it in a drawer some where." It was so droll, Nancy was sarcastic and got slammed as the ice princes rulebook got thrown out!:laugh:

Hehe. That was also mentioned before she even skated in the '94 Olympics; she was never one to hang medals in open display or anything; her past was in her past, and her world and national medals were "shoved in a box" that was "shoved in a drawer".

Also, who could forget her "she's just going to come out and cry again; what's the difference?" remark.:laugh: Not the most classy thing she could have said, but I'm sure she wasn't the only one thinking it. I really think people wouldn't have reacted with such horror at her comments if she hadn't been hyped up as some fairy tale princess goody-two-shoes to begin with.

mskater93

Record Breaker
With regard to Nancy, don't forget the "this is hokey" comment about having to wear her OSM at the Disney parade. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well Scott Hamilton wrote about the "change in attitude/persona" of Nancy Kerrigan in his book and he believed teh attack had a lot to do with it. She was bitter for a long time. Her family life (hubby and kiddos at least) seem to have helped her more than anything else to move past it. That and the media finally left her alone, until recently, in regards to the negative... she had time to heal and did...

was she the most sportsmanlike after the whack, no, but I hope she looks back on that silver medal like it's gold. She went through hell with being attacked and recovery and then the media hounding her - not for her skating but for something she had absolutely no control or fault in. I'd be a little pissy too.

Nationals the year Johnny injured himself was bad for all of the men. It was just who could stand up the most, not the best skater of the night (go Mike Weiss!). That whole event was shocking because even Button kept asking "what the heck is going on?!"

also shocking was Dick Button pouncing on Weir for not sucking it up and bowwing out... and then when the ref stopped Matt Savoie during his LP because his skate pants ripped down by the skate... Button reamed Savoie a new one for stopping his program. Um, Dick, he had no chioce, the ref stopped the music. :rolleye: Not one of "Uncle Dick's" finer moments.

Last edited:
I couldn't remember Paul Handy's name. That was a dreadful fall. Pairs skating scares me quite often. This may be why I've become so fond of ice dancing. Well, it's not the only reason, of course. I just love ice dancing for its inventiveness and elegance.

periperi

On the Ice
I love ice dancing for that as well along with the beautiful edging.

By the way, Paul's surname is Binnebose, Paul Binnebose. :)

Whoops, thanks, periperi. He was Binnebose. Shame on me for confusing the names. I wonder how he's doing.

And I agree with you about the edging in ice dancing.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Also, who could forget her "she's just going to come out and cry again; what's the difference?" remark.:laugh: Not the most classy thing she could have said, but I'm sure she wasn't the only one thinking it. I really think people wouldn't have reacted with such horror at her comments if she hadn't been hyped up as some fairy tale princess goody-two-shoes to begin with.

I would have said that too if I had to wait so long for my Olympic medal ceremony. Unfortunately, Nancy Kerrigan and Chen Lu were forced to wait and they were told Oksana Baiul was putting on her make-up when in reality the IOC was looking for the national anthem of Ukraine. So of course it made Baiul look bad when it wasn't her fault. It made Kerrigan look bad when she wasn't given all the facts.

periperi

On the Ice
Whoops, thanks, periperi. He was Binnebose. Shame on me for confusing the names. I wonder how he's doing.

And I agree with you about the edging in ice dancing.

Paul seems to be doing quite well. He's gotten into coaching, is married and has a son now. I'm happy for him after everything he had to go through.