Comical or shocking skating moments | Golden Skate

Comical or shocking skating moments

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, I think the funniest thing I ever saw was what came to be known as the Babs death glare at her partner in the Olympics when the poor guy made a mistake. I absolutely hated everything about this dance team and it makes me laugh to see that clip. Not all of skating is serious. What is your favorite funny, dumb, whatever moment in skating. (Be honest, LOL.):p:laugh:

Oh, that was a rich one. Poor Mauritzio.

Funny with a lot less venom involved was Michelle Kwan when the streaker (or whatever he was) came onto the ice.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I've got a good one. And I'm really really sorry to say that I don't know who the skater was. It happened many years ago when Toller Cranston was doing commentary for a ladies international event. A european skater had just done her program and was awaiting her results. She had a really ugly costume and it included a dog collar! This was certainly not your elegant princess skater; she was tough as nails and looked like she'd welcome a barroom brawl. The judges didn't like her and this was reflected in the marks. She jumped to her feet, put both hands on her hips and stared daggers at them. I thought she was going to go after them but a few people muscled her out before it got ugly. Johnny Esau was saying as little as possible and Toller was hissing that her behavior was completely unacceptable and that her coach would have to do something about it. I've often wondered who she was. I know she never got high in the rankings and I only recall seeing her the once. Very very funny.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh, I cant wait for the first dance team that does "Girl with the Dragon tatoo!" But the streaker that interupted the start of MK's skate was shocking......what, was that Worlds 2004?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott Hamilton skating to "I Love Me" (as the lounge lizard).

Kurt skating to "That's Entertainment."

Viktor Petrenko skating with the life size doll - Mambo #5

Plushy's "Sex Bomb"

Todd skating to "Who Let the Dogs Out?" in 2000 Improv-Ice

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Not comical, but shocking: 1994 World Championships Ladies' Medal Ceremony, when Surya Bonaly first refused to stand on the podium in the 2nd place spot, then after her medal was awarded, took it off in protest since she felt she wuzrobbed of the gold. I always felt sorry for the other medalists Tanja Szewczenko (bronze) and especially for Yuka Sato (gold), trying to maintain grace and dignity in a very awkward situation.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
Definitely Patrick jumping into the boards, and Midori Ito jumping over them.

For funny exhibitions, Brasseur & Eisler's gender-switching performances deserve a mention. Patricia the Stripper is on YouTube but I seem to remember an older one that doesn't seem to be there. Of course, she brought this to Battle of the Blades in season 2 as well.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I also had a good laugh at Patrick Chan's gorgeous quad-toe into the boards this year. Another funny fall: Jamie & David at the end of their Olympic SP.

As far as routines go, I recall Scott Hamilton's 'Hair' routine...he came out dressed in a hippie costume with an enormous long brown wig with peace signs all over his costume.

Speaking of Surya Bonaly; I laughed when she skated her LP in Nagano and threw in an illegal backflip at the end of a mediocre skate, then finished up laughing.

macy

Record Breaker
I've got a good one. And I'm really really sorry to say that I don't know who the skater was. It happened many years ago when Toller Cranston was doing commentary for a ladies international event. A european skater had just done her program and was awaiting her results. She had a really ugly costume and it included a dog collar! This was certainly not your elegant princess skater; she was tough as nails and looked like she'd welcome a barroom brawl. The judges didn't like her and this was reflected in the marks. She jumped to her feet, put both hands on her hips and stared daggers at them. I thought she was going to go after them but a few people muscled her out before it got ugly. Johnny Esau was saying as little as possible and Toller was hissing that her behavior was completely unacceptable and that her coach would have to do something about it. I've often wondered who she was. I know she never got high in the rankings and I only recall seeing her the once. Very very funny.

hahahahahahahahha! i'm playing that out in my head and it's SO FUNNY

Johar

Medalist
Last edited:
I remember that Brasseur/Eisler routine with great delight. They played it to the hilt, and the height difference worked perfectly for the gender reversal. It was like Miss Piggy and Kermit. When "she" flung "him" around in that headbanger spin, it was hysterical. After one performance of the routine, the camera followed the pair off the ice, and someone paid Eisler a teasing compliment (something about how pretty he looked). Without missing a beat, Eisler responded "Right back at you" in an amiable growl.

The Surya Bonaly podium meltdown was a mortifying moment. I felt sorry for her and angry at her at the same time. It must have been especially tough on Yuka, who was not only winning her only worlds but was standing in front of a home audience. I'm sure Surya did great damage to her reputation that day.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
When Kurt called the 13 year old MK "kind of sexy" during the 1994 WC. My family and I were just :eek:

Oooh...forgot about that. Yeah, that was a real :unsure: moment.

Speaking of commentators: I'll never forget some of Dick Button's commentary. On Nikodinov (2000, I think?) "Some skaters hypnotize you. And others, while they may be wonderful athletes, give you an opportunity to take a trip to the refrigerator". There was much noise afterward about whether his comments were humorous or cruel (I thought they were quite true and funny), but Nikodinov did come back the following year with much improved musicality.

Another Dick Button moment (much less talked about, and I'm not sure why it struck me as so funny, but it did): 2006 Olympics, Elena Liashenko. He had been talking about how she hadn't really grown or changed much in her long career, she'd just spent most of it around the same level and didn't improve much or do anything to capture anyone's attention. Another commentator said it was respectable just to stay at this level for so long and that alone took dedication. Dick agreed, but said, "it would have been nice if she'd thought a little bit about it too." After a bit of an awkward pause, he added, "I hope I'm not being...unkind". For some reason -- maybe it was the way her music was ending with these weird pointless bird chirping noises at that very moment -- I just found that hilarious. Perhaps I'm the only one. :laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, God, that horrible fall of Tot. I was so upset and wished Peggy or Peter had the guts to ask all there/in TV land to pray. I don't recall exactly what that fall did-I know they recovered in short time, and back to the ice. It reminds me of ABC SPORTS always using the ski jumper was it that went horribly wrong as Dick McKay was it said "the thrill of victory (great moment in sport) then the agony. of defeat." Awful to see that so many times burned into my childhood memory

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nancy Kerrigan's response to the millionth question after she was attacked, skated gold, but got silver. " Nancy, What will you do with your medal?" Nancy replies, " Oh probably throw it in a drawer some where." It was so droll, Nancy was sarcastic and got slammed as the ice princes rulebook got thrown out!:laugh: