Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Comical or shocking skating moments

Custom Title
    When Kurt called the 13 year old MK "kind of sexy" during the 1994 WC. My family and I were just

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'm sure Surya did great damage to her reputation that day.
    I havent seen the world incident but I like Surya and after all those years she still is among the popular athletes in the shows I ve seen her.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    When Kurt called the 13 year old MK "kind of sexy" during the 1994 WC. My family and I were just
    Oooh...forgot about that. Yeah, that was a real moment.

Speaking of commentators: I'll never forget some of Dick Button's commentary. On Nikodinov (2000, I think?) "Some skaters hypnotize you. And others, while they may be wonderful athletes, give you an opportunity to take a trip to the refrigerator". There was much noise afterward about whether his comments were humorous or cruel (I thought they were quite true and funny), but Nikodinov did come back the following year with much improved musicality.

Another Dick Button moment (much less talked about, and I'm not sure why it struck me as so funny, but it did): 2006 Olympics, Elena Liashenko. He had been talking about how she hadn't really grown or changed much in her long career, she'd just spent most of it around the same level and didn't improve much or do anything to capture anyone's attention. Another commentator said it was respectable just to stay at this level for so long and that alone took dedication. Dick agreed, but said, "it would have been nice if she'd thought a little bit about it too." After a bit of an awkward pause, he added, "I hope I'm not being...unkind". For some reason -- maybe it was the way her music was ending with these weird pointless bird chirping noises at that very moment -- I just found that hilarious. Perhaps I'm the only one.

Oh, God, that horrible fall of Tot. I was so upset and wished Peggy or Peter had the guts to ask all there/in TV land to pray. I don't recall exactly what that fall did-I know they recovered in short time, and back to the ice. It reminds me of ABC SPORTS always using the ski jumper was it that went horribly wrong as Dick McKay was it said "the thrill of victory (great moment in sport) then the agony. of defeat." Awful to see that so many times burned into my childhood memory

Nancy Kerrigan's response to the millionth question after she was attacked, skated gold, but got silver. " Nancy, What will you do with your medal?" Nancy replies, " Oh probably throw it in a drawer some where." It was so droll, Nancy was sarcastic and got slammed as the ice princes rulebook got thrown out!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post

As I recall he was talking about the choreography that she was given, not MK...

Tonya Harding being parodied on SNL when her skate laces broke-again-the rouged face the theatrical face, so crazy it was funny.

Most shocking Tonya moment, When she takes the NC title after the whack, then says on camera she cant wait to whip Nancy's butt. At the time, I was aghast as I knew she must've heard about the attack.

Custom Title
    Yes, Totmianina's fall indeed--and then they kept replaying it throughout the season. Pairs skating is so scary sometimes. There was a similar fall suffered by Dan Zhang in the Olympics, wasn't there? Equally terrifying to watch.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-17-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Remember when Johnny Weir fell twice then had to withdraw? Can't remember if it was Nationals or Worlds.

Rinkside
    I think you are talking about this performance : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRqOvHiJ8w

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    As I recall he was talking about the choreography that she was given, not MK...
    He was describing Michelle herself (...she carries a lot of speed into her jumps, she's charismatic, she's kinda sexy, she can sell it...). The clip is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lboyhb7VX9k

He was describing her style and attack, so perhaps a poor choice of wording more than anything. But still.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Nancy Kerrigan's response to the millionth question after she was attacked, skated gold, but got silver. " Nancy, What will you do with your medal?" Nancy replies, " Oh probably throw it in a drawer some where." It was so droll, Nancy was sarcastic and got slammed as the ice princes rulebook got thrown out!
    Hehe. That was also mentioned before she even skated in the '94 Olympics; she was never one to hang medals in open display or anything; her past was in her past, and her world and national medals were "shoved in a box" that was "shoved in a drawer".

Also, who could forget her "she's just going to come out and cry again; what's the difference?" remark. Not the most classy thing she could have said, but I'm sure she wasn't the only one thinking it. I really think people wouldn't have reacted with such horror at her comments if she hadn't been hyped up as some fairy tale princess goody-two-shoes to begin with.

With regard to Nancy, don't forget the "this is hokey" comment about having to wear her OSM at the Disney parade.

well Scott Hamilton wrote about the "change in attitude/persona" of Nancy Kerrigan in his book and he believed teh attack had a lot to do with it. She was bitter for a long time. Her family life (hubby and kiddos at least) seem to have helped her more than anything else to move past it. That and the media finally left her alone, until recently, in regards to the negative... she had time to heal and did...

was she the most sportsmanlike after the whack, no, but I hope she looks back on that silver medal like it's gold. She went through hell with being attacked and recovery and then the media hounding her - not for her skating but for something she had absolutely no control or fault in. I'd be a little pissy too.

Nationals the year Johnny injured himself was bad for all of the men. It was just who could stand up the most, not the best skater of the night (go Mike Weiss!). That whole event was shocking because even Button kept asking "what the heck is going on?!"

also shocking was Dick Button pouncing on Weir for not sucking it up and bowwing out... and then when the ref stopped Matt Savoie during his LP because his skate pants ripped down by the skate... Button reamed Savoie a new one for stopping his program. Um, Dick, he had no chioce, the ref stopped the music. Not one of "Uncle Dick's" finer moments.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 01-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twizzgirl View Post
    I think you are talking about this performance : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRqOvHiJ8w

That's it. Thanks.

And who could forget Tonya Harding, at the Olympics, stopping because she broke another lace. I just knew something was going to "happen" to cause her to restart her program.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast