Toller Cranston's new project with the Edmonton Symphony | Golden Skate

Toller Cranston's new project with the Edmonton Symphony

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/ente...ymphony/6003283/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

There's going to be a pop concert with the Edmonton Symphony playing skating's war horses, and Toller explaining why they work well for skating, functioning as the host of the show.

"The reason they were used again and again is that they just bloody worked,” Cranston says. With each piece of music the ESO performs, “I’ll explain why it works, how it galvanizes an audience.” He’ll also share anecdotes from his illustrious career. In 1977, Cranston skated his way into Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame and received the Order of Canada.

Toller feels music is no longer as important as it was in skating:

Patrick Chan, the 2011 World Champion, is “a million times better than I ever was,” says Cranston, but the music he skates to is completely forgettable. “It seems to me the music now is second to technical abilities on the ice. That’s how you get marked. There’s no reason to be as bent upon being as creative as I was, because there’s no benefit to that. I was lucky enough to be in an age where the actual music you skated to, say for a world championship, was kept secret. It was a big surprise.”

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'd rather watch Toller than Patrick any day. Patrick will be awesome if he skates for years, but I think its just til Sochi, then off to more greener pastures

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm hoping that this will be on TV somewhere, and that videos will make it to youtube!