Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir announces return; eyes on Sochi

Custom Title

News Johnny Weir announces return; eyes on Sochi

ESPN -- Johnny Weir is ready to give up the fashion shows and the red carpet for another shot at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Lots of luck, Johnny. Evan was the darling of USFS and they turned a cold shoulder on HIM this past GP season. I doubt Johnny will be welcomed back by USFS.

saw this on fb! SO STOKED. good luck to him!

Custom Title
    YAY! This was on my wish list for 2012--now it's happening! I'm excited. Who knows--maybe with his personal life now going so well, Johnny will be able to really focus on his training and get back to a peak level. And even if he doesn't land quads or win medals in his comeback, I will simply enjoy watching him skate. There is no one quite like him on the ice.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^^ The USFSA would be foolish not to give this their blessing. He has fans and attracts PR. They can't afford to look down on him even if they wanted to - and why would they? It's not like they have a boatload of bigger stars.

Custom Title
    I'm just wondering what will Johnny get this time round besides publicity? He was fed up with the "politics" in skating. He said he wasn't treated and rewarded fairly.

I saw this on AFP today and was soo excited. I wish him the best of luck

Publicity = fans = money. He doesn't have to win anything to have a successful comeback.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Publicity = fans = money. He doesn't have to win anything to have a successful comeback.
    Publicity = fans

Publicity = fans ≠ money in competitive skating.

Unless Johnny wants to use this publicity and high profile in competitive skating for anything other than competitive skating, which I think that's where his heart is. If that's what he wants, I actually think he could succeed. He'll do talking about his skating much more than his actual skating. And there are always people who will buy it.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.

That's what I meant. His fame depends on his being a skater, so he needs to skate. And skating needs a big name like Johnny. While I would love to see him get back in form and make it to the Olympics, it seems unlikely - but he can still prolong his fame and bring fans to the competitions he's in.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and Evan Lysacek was going to skate this season. In otherwords, I'll believe it when I see it. Right now it's just talk. Why make the announcement now? Keeps his name in the paper, the wedding announcement didn't get enough attention.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    That's what I meant. His fame depends on his being a skater, so he needs to skate. And skating needs a big name like Johnny. While I would love to see him get back in form and make it to the Olympics, it seems unlikely - but he can still prolong his fame and bring fans to the competitions he's in.
    I think his chances of making the Olympic team are not bad IF we have three slots for Sochi. If there are only two--that would make it much harder.

But, consider the competition:

Lysacek: Who knows if he'll come back? If he does, he'll be in good shape, I'm sure; but a question mark
    Abbott: So brilliant, but so unpredictable; there's no guarantee he'll even make Worlds this year, much less the Olympics
    Miner: Solid and steadily improving; at this point, if I had to bet on anyone making Sochi, it might be him
    Dornbush: Not really seeing improvement this season; hard to predict what the future holds; quad not solid
    Mahbanoozadeh: Love him, but results aren't there yet; has a ways to go to make Worlds, let alone Sochi

Of course some other new guys may come up in the meantime, but I think Johnny has a good shot against this group--that is, assuming he comes back strongly.

Custom Title
    Why is quad jump so hard for top American men?

A quad is hard for anyone.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    A quad is hard for anyone.
    Yes, but it seems extra-hard for American men. :-) Except for Brandon Mroz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast