Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Johnny Weir announces return; eyes on Sochi

Rinkside

Custom Title
    I hope Stéphane Lambiel as well will return to the Olympics with a clean performance, no quads nor 3As necessary, just beautiful skating. And I hope that those veterans (including Johnny) planning for a return will not push themselves too much and get injured. Look at Emanuel Sandhu, who had a master plan but soon ended up with another broken dream due to a foot injury as well as lack of preparation time or full commitment (so typical of him ). Though I'm not a fan of Plushenko's skating, I deeply admire his will and strength to go through the tough training process at that mature age.

Custom Title
    Actually, it's more realistic that someone like Lambiel comes back because he's from a federation that lacks depth in competitors. He's the greatest male skater to come out of Switzerland, or at least the greatest since World War II, so I imagine there is at least the possibility of a place for him on a Swiss Olympic team. Selfishly, I'd love to see him return to competition, though I think he's one skater who's doing really well as a pro, because he's so popular in both Europe and Asia. (And it couldn't happen to a better skater!)

Like you, bc, I deeply admire Plushenko for his dedication and perseverance. He doesn't just show up in the media or strut around soaking up the spotlight. He does all the grinding training again and again, day after day. If he's at Sochi, I may not root for him to win (go, Daisuke!), but I will cheer for him, and if he does by some miracle win, I will cheer even more loudly.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-21-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Custom Title
    I'll be interested to see what Johnny brings. I really hope he's got some of the antics out of his system, feels happy and supported, and will train like the dickens. Wonder if we'll see coaching changes - seems like he'll need specific help getting his jumps back and working well and some help with conditioning - making sure maximizing his training time

I hope he does come back.

Banned
    I hope he is ready for something like an 8th place finish at Nationals.

Custom Title
    I read this most surprising (& pleasing) news late last night but was too tired to post a response until today.

First off it shocked me to the point that my attention was diverted from royalty news to skating news, lol. :D And honestly though I thought there was a 50/50 chance of Johnny returning I never really thought he would. *shock* (8^O

With Zhenya, it was a given he would come back, he does what he says, and he has always said he would return for Sochi. But Johnny has always been ambivalent about his return, thus I never really took it seriously, rather just playing the game. By the way, for the record, I still have no doubt that Evan Lysacek will return, because he too does what he says, he's a very hard worker (to the point of OCD imho) so I know he will return full throttle.

Back to Johnny, it takes a lot of guts in a man of his position to return because I doubt the USFSA will welcome him with open arms, especially after his book came out. For this, I take my hat off to him. He's going to have a very very tough time imho, the toughest out of anybody returning, especially when it comes to the men. And for what? He finished 6th at the last Olympics and is a one-time World Bronze Medalist. His record doesn't come close to the other two men returning. This is why he has my utmost respect & admiration; his odds of succeeding are the lowest, but yet he does it.

Okay, now as to predictions, anything is possible (true; Rudy Galindo proved that in 1996!). But realistically I'd give Evan the edge when it comes to securing that 3rd spot for the next Olympics, assuming of course that we have 3 spots! (8^O Whereas I see Johnny finishing a respectable 4th place like Sasha did in 2010 (btw he's very very lucky he made the Team at all in 2010, literally by the skin of his teeth). As to the top 2, Abbott gets my vote *if* he can somehow magically finally win a World Medal of any color between now & 2014 (best chance is this year imho). And I'm going against the grain and say that somebody like Max Aaron is going to blow everyone away with his quads & powerful skating (was hoping it would be Keegan Messing, but he hasn't been getting the job done). Max Aaron gets my vote.

Anyhow, BRAVO TO JOHNNY ON RETURNING TO AMATEUR COMPETITION!!!!

Banned
    so if this is true

will Sochi be the year for the return of the Veterans ???

with Zhenya and Jhonny
    are we looking for Brian Joubert, Kim Yuna and Joannie Rochetter competing again ?

I dont think Stephane is returning
    in his recent interview in 2012 innsbruck. he said he had no regrets about retiring and is enjoying
    doing performances and exhibition Galas for different countries
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 01-21-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    so if this is true

will Sochi be the year for the return of the Veterans ???

with Zhenya and Jhonny
    are we looking for Brian Joubert, Kim Yuna and Joannie Rochetter competing again ?
    I hope so, I Yuna and Joannie. Joubert is still competing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    I'll be interested to see what Johnny brings.
    The feathers! What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    The feathers! What do you think?
    Bluebonnet,I like your wicked sense of humour!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I dont think Stephane is returning. in his recent interview in 2012 innsbruck. he said he had no regrets about retiring
    He has no regret, but I do. I haven't seen enough of him yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2