Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Senior ladies competition

Custom Title
    Protocols:

SP

FP

I actually became a true fan of Cynthia in this competition. I find her skating probably the most elegant in the world today, something Amelie lacks. I hope Cynthia comes back strong next season under Orser till Sochi and then the sprightly Katelyn can take over.

Custom Title
    Do you suppose Osmond will be sent to both 4CC and Junior Worlds? The comps are three weeks apart. She looks like the real deal; I'd like to see her get some senior international experience sooner rather than later.

Custom Title

Down With It
    Bit of a surprise that Phaneuf did not win this competition...anyway, she appears to be frustrated about it as she clearly made her disappointment known on Twitter. She'll certainly be fired up for 4CCs.

Good for Lacoste, I was kinda hoping she'd pull it off anyway.
    Last edited by R.D.; 01-21-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Custom Title
    I am disappointed :(
    In my opinion, I think that Cynthia Phaneuf should have finished first and Kaetlyn Osmond should have finish second and Amelie Lacoste Third.

Amelie Lacoste don't have the technical jump content to secure the two spots for the Canadian. Without a triple flip and a triple lutz, I'm worried. I hope Lacoste will prove me that I'm wrong and will show these jumps at world.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    I am disappointed :(
    In my opinion, I think that Cynthia Phaneuf should have finished first and Kaetlyn Osmond should have finish second and Amelie Lacoste Third.

Amelie Lacoste don't have the technical jump content to secure the two spots for the Canadian. Without a triple flip and a triple lutz, I'm worried. I hope Lacoste will prove me that I'm wrong and will show these jumps at world.
    Cynthia Phaneuf didn't secure the 2nd spot last year at Worlds and she fared worse than Amelie Lacoste for the past 2 GP seasons. Cynthia doesn't attempt the 3flip at all and her 3Lutz is nowhere close to being a reliable jump for her. I can understand the defense that Phaneuf is stronger artistically than Lacoste, but Cynthia certainly has not proven that she is stronger than Amelie technically. On top of that, what was up with Phaneuf's spins and footwork elements in this competition? Normally, she is capable of achieving level 4s and 3s with her spins and level 3 footwork elements, but this week at Nationals, she received a level 1 on a spin element and a level 2 on footwork in the SP and in the LP, a level 1 spin and a level 2 spin and level 2 footwork. Lacoste toasted her on spin and footwork elements this week. Cynthia has no one to blame but herself for not winning this title.

From where I was sitting, it was clear that Amelie was the winner of this one.

Cynthia could have smiled once for the medals, pictures and victory lap. She looked seriously ticked off.

My favorite was Alexandra Najarro. She was beautiful to watch. If we could combine her skating with Kaetlyn Osmond's jumps, we'd be on to something.

Custom Title
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...championships/

To me, I get the struggles that Skate Canada might be experiencing in terms of trying to decide wheher Lacoste or Phaenuf should go to worlds, but with respect to the latter, its not like we're dealing with a Yu-na Kim who just had an off-day. Phaneuf has had poor international showings (other than a 5th place at a post-Olympics Worlds). Lacoste (who was definitely weaker than Phaenuf in the FS) deserved the win on the basis of her SP + FS showing combined. Pure and simple. Phaneuf's comments in that National Post article do nothing but make her look like the sore loser that she is. If she had the international results to back up her comments, I'd be more forgiving. Nor is she a far superior skater to Lacoste - look at the fact that Phaenuf's jumping technique is so weak that she basically does no transitions heading into her jumps. Skate Canada should do the right thing and leave Phaneuf off the team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Do you suppose Osmond will be sent to both 4CC and Junior Worlds? The comps are three weeks apart. She looks like the real deal; I'd like to see her get some senior international experience sooner rather than later.
    I do think she will get both. The only issue with Osmond getting the JW spot is that she does not have a triple lutz. But Najarro is not known for her consistency on that jump either.

As well Najarro has had some major meltdowns in competition (SP at the challenge and at the the last JW for example ). I expect Najarro to get Nebelhorn next season ( she can't go back to JGP next season as she ages out ) though and likely a SC spot. Such meltdowns would kill the number of JGP slots available.

I hope we pick the right lady for JW as there have been a lot of young skaters at the novice and junior levels that have stepped up especially skaters like Daleman and Jurome ( Jurome sadly injured for novice nationals ). It would be sad if some of these skaters don't get any JGP slots simply because

For example if whoever we send fails to get out of the qualifying skate we only get 3 JGP slots. We get 4 if we make the SP but fail to make the FS.

It is very unlikely we will get 14 JGP slots ( top 3 countries ) next season . But IMO finishing among countries 4-6 and therefore 7 JGP slots is quite doable if whoever we send has 3 decent skates

I think Osmond goes to the JGP next year. And the good news for her is that the flip will be the SP jump out of steps next season. That and her triple-triple could put her in good stead on the JGP and perhaps even making the JGPF.

Custom Title
    artsciboy, i agree with you regarding the tough decision, however, part of me thinks they will give the nod to Cynthia as she has been top 5 in the world and is quite capable of making top 10. Amelie, i just don't think has it yet; but it's coming. Worlds are in Canada next year and we want 2 spots in ladies. Apart from Joannie, Cynthia is the only one that has proven herself at Worlds; however this season was bad. That was the reason for her move. Joannie went through the same thing with her results save for 2009 and 2010. Cynthia to me, does not come across as sore loser, she comes across as someone who is determined. i'm sure with the next month or 2 with Brian, she will be a lot better and next season even better. There is no doubt in my mind that Brian will be helping Cynthia with her jumps and become more consistent. Skate Canada is very supportive of Cynthia considering what she's been through in recent years.

We do need to think ahead for 2013 and the Olympics; right now, Cynthia is probably our best bet. If Joannie does come back next season, we won't have anything to worry about; she's capable of winning the title or medalling but we need as many spots as possible. However, if Joannie decides not to come back, then we need to make sure that we do have as many spots as possible.

Not to take away from Amelie, but her victory was not a convincing one. This is 1996 all over again.

I feel bad for the skater who does not get to go to Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...championships/

To me, I get the struggles that Skate Canada might be experiencing in terms of trying to decide wheher Lacoste or Phaenuf should go to worlds, but with respect to the latter, its not like we're dealing with a Yu-na Kim who just had an off-day. Phaneuf has had poor international showings (other than a 5th place at a post-Olympics Worlds). Lacoste (who was definitely weaker than Phaenuf in the FS) deserved the win on the basis of her SP + FS showing combined. Pure and simple. Phaneuf's comments in that National Post article do nothing but make her look like the sore loser that she is. If she had the international results to back up her comments, I'd be more forgiving. Nor is she a far superior skater to Lacoste - look at the fact that Phaenuf's jumping technique is so weak that she basically does no transitions heading into her jumps. Skate Canada should do the right thing and leave Phaneuf off the team.
    I totally agree with you! I am very put off by Cynthia's comments. Mistakenly, I thought she was a better sport than this.

Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    We do need to think ahead for 2013 and the Olympics; right now, Cynthia is probably our best bet. . . . However, if Joannie decides not to come back, then we need to make sure that we do have as many spots as possible.
    Once again, it was Cynthia who lost the 2nd World spot last year. Skate Canada owes her absolutely nothing!

Custom Title
    Really happy for Amelie. I know she made some technical errors, but she was skating with a spark and power today that I've never seen from her before.

I was really impressed by how Cynthia fought back, but it wasn't enough. Jumping aside, her program lacked the usual content that she has between the jumps. Yes, she's elegant and beautiful, and i think that a year with Brian Orser might toughen her up mentally and make her unstoppable, but she made too many mistakes in the SP to win here.

Unlike yesterday, I felt Kaetlyn Osmond was outclassed artistically tonight, and thus agree with the result. Still, she has all the makings of a champion, and her technical ability is seriusly impressive. I think SC would be really foolish not to send her to junior worlds.

Alexandra Najarro stole the show for me tonight. Her program is an absolute gem. She had a coulpe of jump problems, but considering that she struggles with consistency, this was a really good skate for her. I have to talk about her arms. She didn't let a beat of music go by that she didn't hilight with some sort of arm or hand movement. So, so elegant.

Custom Title
    Why is SC considering sending Cynthia at all? Amelie has been beating her all season. This makes absolutely no sense. Kudos to Cynthia for her comments. Real classy, especially after her disaster of a season.

Custom Title
    She missed it by 1 spot was 2 points behind Rachel Flatt. In the LP.She was 12th in the long. Amelie was 16th, (14 in the short, 18th in the long). Is this who you want to go to worlds for 2 spots?

Worlds last year was a splatsfest by looking at all the scores. Honestly, imo, at this stage of the game, I don't see Amelie making top 10; realistically, Cynthia has a better chance and SC knows that.

Although i agree Skate Canada owes her nothing, they are aware that she's their best bet and know by working with Brian intensively until Worlds, she will be ready. She's only been working with Brian for 6 weeks, let's see what happens with 3 months under her.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast