Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Senior ladies competition

Rinkside
    Talk about a short-lived victory. Personally, I find Cynthia's artistry vastly overrated, but I'd agree that she has the better package overall among the ladies and she's probably Canada's best shot at a top 10 finish. SC probably thinks so too and is hoping that Cynthia can get her consistency back by the time 4CC arrives and beat Amelie there, so that they are justified in sending Cynthia to worlds. But this kind of stinks for Amelie and I question what kind of message this sends to other athletes. Amelie has had a much better season and has just won the title. That's 3 events versus one (4cc). Sending the national champion is not an iron-clad rule, but this is really too bad for Amelie.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Once again, it was Cynthia who lost the 2nd World spot last year. Skate Canada owes her absolutely nothing!
    Well, Amelie skated last year too, so they both lost it.

They've skated head to head twice this season. Amelie has beaten her both times.

They've skated at another GP event. Amelie outpointed Cynthia by 10+ points.

Can either Cynthia or Amelie beat Korpi/Kostner/Leonova/Makarova/Russian3/American1/American2/Suzuki/Asada/Murakami? Heck no. They're not even guaranteed to beat V. Helgelsson, Hecken, Gedevanishivili, Meite/Yretha.... So why the worry. The easy answer (Amelie) is fair and right.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    ^ Yes, if I were in Amelie's skates and I were Canadian champion and Skate Canada selected Cynthia to go to Worlds, a skater who time and time again has proven herself to be inconsistent and unreliable despite all the chances she's been given, then I would take it as a deliberate slap and spit in the face and I would have to refuse to ever again represent a federation who clearly will never support me. I'd be finished, done with Skate Canada forever. Be prepared for the sh!t to hit the fan if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    So why the worry. The easy answer (Amelie) is fair and right.
    Except the performance director has said that Lacoste is not guaranteed the spot; hence, the skeptical reactions that are in this thread.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Except the performance director has said that Lacoste is not guaranteed the spot; hence, the skeptical reactions that are in this thread.
    Yeah, I just read that. That's stupid.

Down With It
    Yes, if I were in Amelie's skates and I were Canadian champion and Skate Canada selected Cynthia to go to Worlds, a skater who time and time again has proven herself to be inconsistent and unreliable despite all the chances she's been given, then I would take it as a deliberate slap and spit in the face and I would have to refuse to ever again represent a federation who clearly will never support me. I'd be finished, done with Skate Canada forever.
    Then who would you suggest she skate for?

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Then who would you suggest she skate for?
    I dunno. France? Just saying if I were her, I'd retire before I skated for a nation that didn't appreciate me.

that would really be unfair to Amelie if they do choose to let Cynthia go to Worlds instead of her being the National Champion
    she earned her placement fairly and rightfully so.
    and Amelie has fared better this season than Cynthia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I actually became a true fan of Cynthia in this competition. I find her skating probably the most elegant in the world today, something Amelie lacks.
    Though arguably she might not be the most elegant, she is certainly among the top five in the world in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    Cynthia...is quite capable of making top 10. Amelie, i just don't think has it yet...Worlds are in Canada next year and we want 2 spots in ladies.
    Agree. Had Amelie won the free skate, I might have thought that she had a convincing win at the National. But she didn't. Luck served her there. Did Amelie win any medal during the GP series? It's not like she did such a great job earlier in the season. To me, both Amelie and Cynthia did poorly. It just happened that Amelie was slightly less poorer than Cynthia. Well, Amelie went to the Worlds last year. It was partially her own fault of not skating well enough to earn two spots. Is there a rule saying the national champion will be guaranteed a spot? If not, then she should have mentally prepared herself for a 4CC skate-off given her not so remarkable ISU championships records (Her highest placement at an ISU Championship is 7th at the 2010 Four Continents Championships) and GP showings (6th in Skate Canada, 8th in Cup of Russia). It should not be a shock to her unless she has been living in a dreamland. And it is not unfair. Skate Canada does not owe Cynthia or Amelie anything. If they decide to wait for a 4CC skate-off, it is out of considerations for themselves (i.e., to have the highest chance of securing 2 spots for the next Worlds held in Canada).

Quote Originally Posted by artsciboy View Post
    Phaneuf's comments in that National Post article do nothing but make her look like the sore loser that she is.
    If she made those comments out of the blue, then she is a sore loser. But it seems to me that there was a context leading to those comments. "Cynthia, the performance director has said that Lacoste is not guaranteed the spot. What do you think about it?" Do you expect her to say "Oh, I'm no good. Send Amelie, who is the clear winner"? Of course, she had to maintain that she is worthy as well just in case that Skate Canada decides to send her instead.

I completely understand Skate Canada when they say they haven't decided on who should go to Worlds.

If Phaneuf nails her programs, she IS among the top 10 in the world. Lacoste on the other hand, I'm not so sure. The thing is that this was also not a win that lead by many points. It was a close race.

Anyway, congratulations to Lacoste on her first Canadian title. She most certainly deserves it!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    If Phaneuf nails her programs, she IS among the top 10 in the world. Lacoste on the other hand, I'm not so sure.
    If Phaneuf nails her programs, she might even get onto the World podium. If Amelie skates clean, it still takes some luck for her to get into the top 10. They both have had poor international showings so far and their performances at the national, well, were about equal (One won the short and the other the long). None of them are a secure bet. If you must gamble, who are you going to choose? Well, my mathematical mind tells me that sending Phaneuf would yield a higher expected value.

Custom Title
    Lets face it Amelie didn't exactly set the world on fire during the GP season. Maybe if she hadn't finished near or at the bottom of her two events they might have already decided to send her to Worlds.

Custom Title
    SC has their job to decide on Canada's representation based on many considerations, not least of which is who will bring back 2 spots for next year's Worlds.

Me, I like what I saw in Phaneuf, who looked the best since Worlds 2010. I think she is turning around though it's been only six weeks when she made the important coaching and living changes. She won the Free Skate but lost on the most unfortunate and fatal mistake of falling on the first jump of the combo in the SP. Nevertheless, she looked more self assured and her performances were mature and elegant, with attitude. She had the look of and skated like a champion even if she didn't jump like one. I read very good indications of the direction she's progressing. Kudos to Lacoste who proved determination brings results one desires. She is athletic and powerful but workmanlike, probably not going to win international judges over. I sort of like the idea of a rematch at 4CC, a major international event before Worlds, which would show the progress each is making towards the end-of-season showdown. The decision is a very important one so it's worth some more dueling from the contestants to prove their worth in front of the international judges. May they both bring their best.

Custom Title
    I just browsed through the Protocols: Cynthia completed three types of triples (3Lz, 3Lo, and 3T) whereas Amelie only two (3Lo and 3S). Cynthia received level 1 or 2 for her spins and step sequence (there is room for improvement in a short period of time) whereas Amelie received level 3 or 4 (pretty much maxed out).

Custom Title
    PJ Kwong told me the decision will be revealed today but that Mike Slipchuk had set protocols were set since 1994. That could be an indication that they will send Amelie, but they did change the protocols in 2003 when Cynthia was sent to Junior Worlds and they sent Jen Robinson and Joannie Rochette to Worlds instead.

In this case, I completely agree with SkateFiguring. Cynthia lost by 2 points; it was not a runaway victory in any sense of the word. Cynthia's spins are usually higher in value so getting the points there, she's right there. Amelie has maxed out and although I'm happy she won her first title, i simply don't think she's capable of getting us 2 spots at this time. I'm not putting down her skating, but to me, she does not have the full package. Send her and we will only have 1 spot.

i'm only hoping that SC manages to convince Joannie to come back to compete next season; we need her.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast