Senior ladies competition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior ladies competition

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am disappointed :(
In my opinion, I think that Cynthia Phaneuf should have finished first and Kaetlyn Osmond should have finish second and Amelie Lacoste Third.

Amelie Lacoste don't have the technical jump content to secure the two spots for the Canadian. Without a triple flip and a triple lutz, I'm worried. I hope Lacoste will prove me that I'm wrong and will show these jumps at world.

Cynthia Phaneuf didn't secure the 2nd spot last year at Worlds and she fared worse than Amelie Lacoste for the past 2 GP seasons. Cynthia doesn't attempt the 3flip at all and her 3Lutz is nowhere close to being a reliable jump for her. I can understand the defense that Phaneuf is stronger artistically than Lacoste, but Cynthia certainly has not proven that she is stronger than Amelie technically. On top of that, what was up with Phaneuf's spins and footwork elements in this competition? Normally, she is capable of achieving level 4s and 3s with her spins and level 3 footwork elements, but this week at Nationals, she received a level 1 on a spin element and a level 2 on footwork in the SP and in the LP, a level 1 spin and a level 2 spin and level 2 footwork. Lacoste toasted her on spin and footwork elements this week. Cynthia has no one to blame but herself for not winning this title.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
From where I was sitting, it was clear that Amelie was the winner of this one.

Cynthia could have smiled once for the medals, pictures and victory lap. She looked seriously ticked off.

My favorite was Alexandra Najarro. She was beautiful to watch. If we could combine her skating with Kaetlyn Osmond's jumps, we'd be on to something.

artsciboy

On the Ice
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...old-at-canadian-figure-skating-championships/

To me, I get the struggles that Skate Canada might be experiencing in terms of trying to decide wheher Lacoste or Phaenuf should go to worlds, but with respect to the latter, its not like we're dealing with a Yu-na Kim who just had an off-day. Phaneuf has had poor international showings (other than a 5th place at a post-Olympics Worlds). Lacoste (who was definitely weaker than Phaenuf in the FS) deserved the win on the basis of her SP + FS showing combined. Pure and simple. Phaneuf's comments in that National Post article do nothing but make her look like the sore loser that she is. If she had the international results to back up her comments, I'd be more forgiving. Nor is she a far superior skater to Lacoste - look at the fact that Phaenuf's jumping technique is so weak that she basically does no transitions heading into her jumps. Skate Canada should do the right thing and leave Phaneuf off the team.

nadster

Final Flight
Do you suppose Osmond will be sent to both 4CC and Junior Worlds? The comps are three weeks apart. She looks like the real deal; I'd like to see her get some senior international experience sooner rather than later.

I do think she will get both. The only issue with Osmond getting the JW spot is that she does not have a triple lutz. But Najarro is not known for her consistency on that jump either.

As well Najarro has had some major meltdowns in competition (SP at the challenge and at the the last JW for example ). I expect Najarro to get Nebelhorn next season ( she can't go back to JGP next season as she ages out ) though and likely a SC spot. Such meltdowns would kill the number of JGP slots available.

I hope we pick the right lady for JW as there have been a lot of young skaters at the novice and junior levels that have stepped up especially skaters like Daleman and Jurome ( Jurome sadly injured for novice nationals ). It would be sad if some of these skaters don't get any JGP slots simply because

For example if whoever we send fails to get out of the qualifying skate we only get 3 JGP slots. We get 4 if we make the SP but fail to make the FS.

It is very unlikely we will get 14 JGP slots ( top 3 countries ) next season . But IMO finishing among countries 4-6 and therefore 7 JGP slots is quite doable if whoever we send has 3 decent skates

I think Osmond goes to the JGP next year. And the good news for her is that the flip will be the SP jump out of steps next season. That and her triple-triple could put her in good stead on the JGP and perhaps even making the JGPF.

lise

On the Ice
artsciboy, i agree with you regarding the tough decision, however, part of me thinks they will give the nod to Cynthia as she has been top 5 in the world and is quite capable of making top 10. Amelie, i just don't think has it yet; but it's coming. Worlds are in Canada next year and we want 2 spots in ladies. Apart from Joannie, Cynthia is the only one that has proven herself at Worlds; however this season was bad. That was the reason for her move. Joannie went through the same thing with her results save for 2009 and 2010. Cynthia to me, does not come across as sore loser, she comes across as someone who is determined. i'm sure with the next month or 2 with Brian, she will be a lot better and next season even better. There is no doubt in my mind that Brian will be helping Cynthia with her jumps and become more consistent. Skate Canada is very supportive of Cynthia considering what she's been through in recent years.

We do need to think ahead for 2013 and the Olympics; right now, Cynthia is probably our best bet. If Joannie does come back next season, we won't have anything to worry about; she's capable of winning the title or medalling but we need as many spots as possible. However, if Joannie decides not to come back, then we need to make sure that we do have as many spots as possible.

Not to take away from Amelie, but her victory was not a convincing one. This is 1996 all over again.

I feel bad for the skater who does not get to go to Worlds.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...old-at-canadian-figure-skating-championships/

To me, I get the struggles that Skate Canada might be experiencing in terms of trying to decide wheher Lacoste or Phaenuf should go to worlds, but with respect to the latter, its not like we're dealing with a Yu-na Kim who just had an off-day. Phaneuf has had poor international showings (other than a 5th place at a post-Olympics Worlds). Lacoste (who was definitely weaker than Phaenuf in the FS) deserved the win on the basis of her SP + FS showing combined. Pure and simple. Phaneuf's comments in that National Post article do nothing but make her look like the sore loser that she is. If she had the international results to back up her comments, I'd be more forgiving. Nor is she a far superior skater to Lacoste - look at the fact that Phaenuf's jumping technique is so weak that she basically does no transitions heading into her jumps. Skate Canada should do the right thing and leave Phaneuf off the team.

I totally agree with you! I am very put off by Cynthia's comments. Mistakenly, I thought she was a better sport than this. :disapp:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We do need to think ahead for 2013 and the Olympics; right now, Cynthia is probably our best bet. . . . However, if Joannie decides not to come back, then we need to make sure that we do have as many spots as possible.

Once again, it was Cynthia who lost the 2nd World spot last year. Skate Canada owes her absolutely nothing!

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Really happy for Amelie. I know she made some technical errors, but she was skating with a spark and power today that I've never seen from her before.

I was really impressed by how Cynthia fought back, but it wasn't enough. Jumping aside, her program lacked the usual content that she has between the jumps. Yes, she's elegant and beautiful, and i think that a year with Brian Orser might toughen her up mentally and make her unstoppable, but she made too many mistakes in the SP to win here.

Unlike yesterday, I felt Kaetlyn Osmond was outclassed artistically tonight, and thus agree with the result. Still, she has all the makings of a champion, and her technical ability is seriusly impressive. I think SC would be really foolish not to send her to junior worlds.

Alexandra Najarro stole the show for me tonight. Her program is an absolute gem. She had a coulpe of jump problems, but considering that she struggles with consistency, this was a really good skate for her. I have to talk about her arms. She didn't let a beat of music go by that she didn't hilight with some sort of arm or hand movement. So, so elegant.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Why is SC considering sending Cynthia at all? Amelie has been beating her all season. This makes absolutely no sense. Kudos to Cynthia for her comments. Real classy, especially after her disaster of a season. :rolleye:

lise

On the Ice
She missed it by 1 spot was 2 points behind Rachel Flatt. In the LP.She was 12th in the long. Amelie was 16th, (14 in the short, 18th in the long). Is this who you want to go to worlds for 2 spots?

Worlds last year was a splatsfest by looking at all the scores. Honestly, imo, at this stage of the game, I don't see Amelie making top 10; realistically, Cynthia has a better chance and SC knows that.

Although i agree Skate Canada owes her nothing, they are aware that she's their best bet and know by working with Brian intensively until Worlds, she will be ready. She's only been working with Brian for 6 weeks, let's see what happens with 3 months under her.

Axel Rose

On the Ice
Talk about a short-lived victory. Personally, I find Cynthia's artistry vastly overrated, but I'd agree that she has the better package overall among the ladies and she's probably Canada's best shot at a top 10 finish. SC probably thinks so too and is hoping that Cynthia can get her consistency back by the time 4CC arrives and beat Amelie there, so that they are justified in sending Cynthia to worlds. But this kind of stinks for Amelie and I question what kind of message this sends to other athletes. Amelie has had a much better season and has just won the title. That's 3 events versus one (4cc). Sending the national champion is not an iron-clad rule, but this is really too bad for Amelie.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Once again, it was Cynthia who lost the 2nd World spot last year. Skate Canada owes her absolutely nothing!

Well, Amelie skated last year too, so they both lost it.

They've skated head to head twice this season. Amelie has beaten her both times.

They've skated at another GP event. Amelie outpointed Cynthia by 10+ points.

Can either Cynthia or Amelie beat Korpi/Kostner/Leonova/Makarova/Russian3/American1/American2/Suzuki/Asada/Murakami? Heck no. They're not even guaranteed to beat V. Helgelsson, Hecken, Gedevanishivili, Meite/Yretha.... So why the worry. The easy answer (Amelie) is fair and right.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Yes, if I were in Amelie's skates and I were Canadian champion and Skate Canada selected Cynthia to go to Worlds, a skater who time and time again has proven herself to be inconsistent and unreliable despite all the chances she's been given, then I would take it as a deliberate slap and spit in the face and I would have to refuse to ever again represent a federation who clearly will never support me. I'd be finished, done with Skate Canada forever. Be prepared for the sh!t to hit the fan if this happens. :disapp:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, if I were in Amelie's skates and I were Canadian champion and Skate Canada selected Cynthia to go to Worlds, a skater who time and time again has proven herself to be inconsistent and unreliable despite all the chances she's been given, then I would take it as a deliberate slap and spit in the face and I would have to refuse to ever again represent a federation who clearly will never support me. I'd be finished, done with Skate Canada forever.

Then who would you suggest she skate for?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that would really be unfair to Amelie if they do choose to let Cynthia go to Worlds instead of her being the National Champion
she earned her placement fairly and rightfully so.
and Amelie has fared better this season than Cynthia.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I actually became a true fan of Cynthia in this competition. I find her skating probably the most elegant in the world today, something Amelie lacks.
Though arguably she might not be the most elegant, she is certainly among the top five in the world in my mind.

Cynthia...is quite capable of making top 10. Amelie, i just don't think has it yet...Worlds are in Canada next year and we want 2 spots in ladies.
Agree. Had Amelie won the free skate, I might have thought that she had a convincing win at the National. But she didn't. Luck served her there. Did Amelie win any medal during the GP series? It's not like she did such a great job earlier in the season. To me, both Amelie and Cynthia did poorly. It just happened that Amelie was slightly less poorer than Cynthia. Well, Amelie went to the Worlds last year. It was partially her own fault of not skating well enough to earn two spots. Is there a rule saying the national champion will be guaranteed a spot? If not, then she should have mentally prepared herself for a 4CC skate-off given her not so remarkable ISU championships records (Her highest placement at an ISU Championship is 7th at the 2010 Four Continents Championships) and GP showings (6th in Skate Canada, 8th in Cup of Russia). It should not be a shock to her unless she has been living in a dreamland. And it is not unfair. Skate Canada does not owe Cynthia or Amelie anything. If they decide to wait for a 4CC skate-off, it is out of considerations for themselves (i.e., to have the highest chance of securing 2 spots for the next Worlds held in Canada).

Phaneuf's comments in that National Post article do nothing but make her look like the sore loser that she is.
If she made those comments out of the blue, then she is a sore loser. But it seems to me that there was a context leading to those comments. "Cynthia, the performance director has said that Lacoste is not guaranteed the spot. What do you think about it?" Do you expect her to say "Oh, I'm no good. Send Amelie, who is the clear winner"? Of course, she had to maintain that she is worthy as well just in case that Skate Canada decides to send her instead.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
I completely understand Skate Canada when they say they haven't decided on who should go to Worlds.

If Phaneuf nails her programs, she IS among the top 10 in the world. Lacoste on the other hand, I'm not so sure. The thing is that this was also not a win that lead by many points. It was a close race.

Anyway, congratulations to Lacoste on her first Canadian title. She most certainly deserves it! :biggrin: