Senior ladies competition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior ladies competition

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
Neither Phaneuf (6th) or LaCoste (9th) had great results at Four Continents last year, either. It's not impossible, but I wonder who Skate Canada would choose to send to Nice if Alexandra Najarro beat them both in Colorado Springs? It's strange when a nation that has potential World Champions in Chan and Virtue / Moir, cannot produce a strong lady.

This situation reminds me of the problem facing Ice Skating Australia in 2006 when Joanne Carter's placement from the 2005 World Championshipsearned Australia a spot at the Torino Olympics, but Miriam Manzano beat her later that season to win the National title. Although Carter was selected for the Games, Manzano took her case to court (even though she was chosen to go to Worlds in Calgary thereafter over Carter.)

Unfortunately, neither skater did well in qualification, failing to make the cut at either event.

Skate Canada really needs to address this kind of situation more precisely to potentially avoid the same outcome.

Last edited:

lundar

Spectator
I just found with the exception of Osmond....the entire ladies competition underwhelming. Frankly the behavior of Phaneuf after the competition having bombed the Grand Prix circuit is reason enough NOT to send her. It wasn't like Cynthia put together two solid performances at nationals. She needs to take the competition in stride and work her butt off if she really believes she's top 10 in the world material. Plus the only world showing with a top 10 finish is the one no one prepares for or focuses on. REALLY. If she wanted to be National Champ she should have won it and decided earlier than age 24 to make coaching changes and try and make top 10 finishes in the world consistently.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Is Osmond actually eligible to compete at 4CC/Worlds? Don't those skaters have to meet the season best standard, and I don't think she has.
Osmond competed on the JGP last season, but you're right, she didn't meet the minimum score of 117.48. Her PB is 111.90. So I guess Najarro gets 4CC.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
aussieskates, it would be truly awesome if the third Canadian lady beats the top two at Four Continents. I am now rooting for the order to be

1. Third Canadian lady
2. Amelie
3. Cynthia

Just to see what would happen (this isn't for the podium, just relative to each other)

lundar

Spectator
ImaginaryPogue-- totally agree. Except I frankly think for winning the competition, medaling on the GP circuit in the past 2 years and not being an epic meltdown queen Lacoste deserves to go because she's deserving of the honour/privilege.....unless a third Canadian lady really kills it. De Sanctis has been decent his year right?

rain

Record Breaker
Frankly the behavior of Phaneuf after the competition having bombed the Grand Prix circuit is reason enough NOT to send her.

I think Cynthia's comments have been blown totally out of proportion. I don't see "sore loser" here at all. The fact of the matter is that she is the best of the Canadian ladies. At least when she is on she can score right up there with the best of them. That said, I don't really have a preference about who goes to worlds this year. I think the skate-off is a good idea, and not without precedent.

I was just thrilled to see Osmond — finally a young competitor with some great potential for the future. One of the most positive things I think is that she seems to love to perform and compete, not collapse when the pressure is on. She looks mature enough body-wise at this point too that it seems unlikely she'll have a huge growth spurt that effectively ends her career. Get her out into international competition ASAP and work, work, work to add to her technical arsenal and polish. Very exciting young skater.

lundar

Spectator
I think Cynthia's comments have been blown totally out of proportion. I don't see "sore loser" here at all. The fact of the matter is that she is the best of the Canadian ladies. At least when she is on she can score right up there with the best of them. That said, I don't really have a preference about who goes to worlds this year. I think the skate-off is a good idea, and not without precedent.

I don't think it's too out of place to say 'sore-loser' considering the photos from the photos from the medal stand, the meltdown after she realized her placement, and the comments she's made about deserving the worlds spot even after failing to secure a second spot or other spots barring 2010 for the sole fact that the worlds after the Olympics is always a bit deranged. I also just don't see her artistic side as superior to any of the other top 10 girls, and she doesn't have any standout qualities as a figure skater either. I really think Amelie earned the right to represent based on her performance on the GP circuit the past two seasons and through winning this competition.

mariposa

Rinkside
DeSanctis' early season was OK. But I got a chance to see her long program this year at nationals..it was wonderful! Triple lutz, toe, flip, salchow...and her second mark was much improved and her connection to the audience was evident.. I also enjoyed Charboneau who looked much more relaxed.

Ravensque

On the Ice
The only lady I was remotely impressed with was Kaetyn Osmond. This girl shows promise and seems to have good competition nerves......loved her 3/3 in the short. She is a future star.