Short Dance | Golden Skate

Short Dance

LisaS

On the Ice
Tessa and Scott just skated, and Tessa stumbled coming out of the first twizzles, they were able to complete the rest of the twizzle sequence in unison.

Standings so far:

Senior Dance
Rank Competitor(s) Section SD Points
1 Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir WO 68.41
2 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier CO 62.78
3 Nicole Orford / Thomas Williams BC/YT 56.58
4 Tarrah Harvey / Keith Gagnon BC/YT 53.87
5 Shanna René De Cotret-Laporte / Alexandre Laliberté QC 42.60
6 Mélissande Dumas / David Mackay Perry QC 39.40
7 Anoushka Ritchie-Hervieux / Philippe Massé QC 39.02
8 Larissa Van As / Troy Shindle BC/YT 38.52
9 Olga Lioudvinevitch / Benjamin Mulder WO 38.37
10 Helene Letourneau / Kevin Boczar EO 37.21
11 Jazz Smyl Joly / Nicholas Jesionek AB/NT/NU 31.60

Scout

Final Flight
I haven't seen Tessa and Scott's skate yet, but from the protocols, it doesn't look good. Aside from the obvious error on the twizzles, they only got a level 4 on 1 of the 5 elements.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Virtual tie between Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje! Gilles/Poirier solidly in 3rd place at this point!

1 Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir WO 68.41
2 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje NO 68.27
3 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier CO 62.78
4 Kharis Ralph / Asher Hill CO 58.92
5 Alexandra Paul / Mitchell Islam CO 57.30
6 Nicole Orford / Thomas Williams BC/YT 56.58
7 Tarrah Harvey / Keith Gagnon BC/YT 53.87
8 Shanna René De Cotret-Laporte / Alexandre Laliberté QC 42.60
9 Mélissande Dumas / David Mackay Perry QC 39.40
10 Anoushka Ritchie-Hervieux / Philippe Massé QC 39.02
11 Larissa Van As / Troy Shindle BC/YT 38.52
12 Olga Lioudvinevitch / Benjamin Mulder WO 38.37
13 Helene Letourneau / Kevin Boczar EO 37.21
14 Jazz Smyl Joly / Nicholas Jesionek AB/NT/NU 31.60

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes. Low levels on everything but one Rhumba sequence. Tessa touched down (with her hand) during the twizzles. Just mistimed in general, I felt. Outside the first Rhumba sequence (which was a level three), this was definitely not what they're capable of.

I missed G/P, but they're in third. Get ready for the Skate Canada push next season, everyone.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Love Scott shouting "TIME" after the error to get Tessa back on track. (Could the mods merge the two threads or delete mine or something).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Bit of both, probably. But a touch technical panel is a good thing, especially at Nationals.

Honestly, I don't want to write V/M's SD off, but.....

skatingfan04

Final Flight
A bit of a so so night overall. It seemed no one, with the exception of Paul/Islam, was at their best tonight.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tessa & Scott's new choreography. The whole program was off, so it was hard to judge. Oh well. I guess even these two are human.:laugh:

Weaver & Poje seemed a little more subdued, but they really did skate quite well. I thought their marks were well deserved.

Gilles & Poirier were really on fire. They were the only team who skated like they had nothing to loose...which they didn't. A nice debut for them.

I though Ralph & Hill looked nervous tonight, and a little shakey. They skated well, but again, not their best.

As for Paul & Islam, I was thrilled with the choreographic changes that they made to the program. I thought this version was much better. They looked really solid, and had nice expression throughout. Not at the level that they were last season, but given the multiple injuries Paul has had this season, I thought they looked better than could be expected. I still have my fingers crossed that these two could make the world team, but I realize that its a tall order. Still, a nice comeback for them.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want Ralph/Hill to hold on for that 3rd World spot though; I really hope they do! I LOVE their FD this season! :love:

It's a shame that Gilles/Poirier's season ends at this event. :cry:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ralph & Hill have a seriously good FD this year; much better than their SD, at least from what I saw from the Skate America coverage.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Not that tall an order - G/P aren't going and they're only a point and change behind R/H.

:)I guess I just don't want to jinx it. I love P/I's FD. I think its absolutely gorgeous. The fact that they've only competed it once and have had additional injury since then makes me a little nervous, though. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.

heyhey

On the Ice
Per what I saw tonight on TV - the short dances do not have an "oomph" factor. I am not sure if it was a combination of nerves and what it appears like poor attendance in the arena...but hey it's done. The technical panel was tough tonight - but that's a good thing...we'll see how the FDs turn out tomorrow night...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I realize I'll probably get flamed for this comment, but I would love for Kaitlyn and Andrew to win this title this season. I LOVE their FD much more than Virtue/Moir's program. I seriously don't expect that to happen though. It would likely require Tessa and Scott to have a meltdown of Olympic proportions.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
And, now seeing G/P, I believe they were overscored, but not terribly. They hit the elements and skated fast and with enthusiasm. No real Latin flavour whatsoever.

heyhey

On the Ice
I realize I'll probably get flamed for this comment, but I would love for Kaitlyn and Andrew to win this title this season. I LOVE their FD much more than Virtue/Moir's program. I seriously don't expect that to happen though. It would likely require Tessa and Scott to have a meltdown of Olympic proportions.

No flaming from this V/M fan. We'll see tomorrow night - if this happens. I just hope that we see two clean skates from these teams.