Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short Dance

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's astonishing to me how Paul and Piper's lines are so evenly matched and their unison is so spot-on for being such a new team. Plus, their great speed and chemistry together are definitely highlights. Also, they skate very close together adding to their connection. I think they were scored fairly.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's astonishing to me how Paul and Piper's lines are so evenly matched and their unison is so spot-on for being such a new team. Plus, their great speed and chemistry together are definitely highlights. Also, they skate very close together adding to their connection. I think they were scored fairly.

I'm impressed with them as well. What you said there reflects the exact comments from their coach who saw right away that they skated the same way, a rarity and huge advantage for a Dance team. That likely explains how well they meld in such a short time. I think they have a great future.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
You know, I wish I saw that, but I don't. I wasn't the biggest fan of Crone/Porier by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see the chemistry that people see here. I don't see any on ice connection - I actually think they considerably lack connection. It doesn't help that they're skating weak choreography (there are moments, like in the circ. step, where you can see Piper just trying so hard to keep up - they even schedule a mid element break so she can run), and that clearly she's no match from him technically/skating skills wise. That they can score 7.65 average on component scores is rather ridiculous at this stage, imo.

jettasian

Match Penalty
So G/P can't go to world? Why? Is it because she's US? How are they going to resolve this then?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So G/P can't go to world? Why? Is it because she's US? How are they going to resolve this then?

They will be eligible for international competition March 2012. However, that would be VERY late and so they have stated they understand that their international competitive debut will be in the 2012/2013 season, where they will be eligible for two GPs (I think). Her status as an American citizen isn't the reason, but the fact that she competed for the USA internationally. If that wasn't the case, they could compete this season.

wasabi

On the Ice
They will be eligible for international competition March 2012. However, that would be VERY late and so they have stated they understand that their international competitive debut will be in the 2012/2013 season, where they will be eligible for two GPs (I think). Her status as an American citizen isn't the reason, but the fact that she competed for the USA internationally. If that wasn't the case, they could compete this season.

How are they eligible for two? Wouldn't they be able to get an assignment to Skate Canada only? I thought the previous standing rule only applied for one year?

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
I liked all pairs. ;-)
I was impressed with Paul/Islam, I thought they should be 4th not 5th, however I also liked Ralph/Hill so that's OK. And I thought Orford /Williams were great.
That said I just love Weaver/ Poje, and I am waiting for their free dance tomorrow.
As for Gilles/Poirier, I think they have great chemistry. I was fan of Crone/Porier but G/P are also very good, this pair just feels different from C/P.. Frankly, I wish Crone will find a partner and then we will have two great different new pairs.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How are they eligible for two? Wouldn't they be able to get an assignment to Skate Canada only? I thought the previous standing rule only apply for one year?

Samuelson/Gilles got one, and they (she) had the same gap. Competed 09/10, missed 10/11, new pair, got CoC. Chock/Bates got two last season. But then again, I suspect the ISU makes up the rules as they go along.

wishonastar

On the Ice
Samuelson/Gilles got one, and they (she) had the same gap. Competed 09/10, missed 10/11, new pair, got CoC. Chock/Bates got two last season. But then again, I suspect the ISU makes up the rules as they go along.

I imagine Gilles/Poirier will be assigned a SR. B to qualify for GP's, be given SC as a host pick, but don't know where a 2nd GP comes in?

Chock/Bates were given two GP's this year because of the split team rules. EACH was allowed a GP assignment due to their team splits (Chock/Zuerlein, Samuelson/Bates). Samuelson/Gilles qualified under the split team rules for one GP (Samuelson/Bates).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link, Skate Figuring.

http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/

For those like me who fumble around with these things, click on the little window in the upper right corner. It's a playlist, in odd order.

1. An advertisment
2. Day's summary
3. Tessa & Scott only
4. The last flight, which starts with Tessa & Scott
5. The 2nd to last flight, which contains Orford and Williams
6. The first flight, which contains Gilles and Poirier

The full screen option had enough data to move smoothly and not look pixellated.

If you let your cursor dwell over the bottom of the screen, the controls come up and you can pull the status bar forward and backward to see something over again, or skip a team you don't want. You can also click on the status bar to move it ahead or back. That seems to work better than sliding.

If W&P had gotten Level 3 for the rhumba sequence they got Level 2 on they would be leading. That's sobering.

IP, I agree that it is clear that Piper is weaker than Paul in the circular not touching step--which is why there is a not touching sequence in the SD, and previously the OD---just so that the judges can evaluate how equal a team is.

wasabi

On the Ice
IP, I agree that it is clear that Piper is weaker than Paul in the circular not touching step--which is why there is a not touching sequence in the SD, and previously the OD---just so that the judges can evaluate how equal a team is.

It is very clear she is much weaker. So why are the judges giving them such high marks?

It will be interesting to see US Nationals next week to see if the same charade is being played with C/B, S/G, H/D.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It is very clear she is much weaker. So why are the judges giving them such high marks? It will be interesting to see US Nationals lnext week to see if the same charade is being played with C/B, S/G, H/D.

Just so we're clear - this is three points less than what C/P scored at Nationals for their SD last season, and the GW scores one point per sequence higher - so it's actually only one point lower.

wasabi

On the Ice
Just so we're clear - this is three points less than what C/P scored at Nationals for their SD last season, and the GW scores one point per sequence higher - so it's actually only one point lower.

Exactly. So they received essentially the same mark that C/P did last year and yet , especially in the SD, he looks like he is dragging her around. The FD is a cleverly choregraphed collection of reused tricks to fun music, the disparity is not as apparent.

heyhey

On the Ice
It is very clear she is much weaker. So why are the judges giving them such high marks? It will be interesting to see US Nationals lnext week to see if the same charade is being played with C/B, S/G, H/D.

I have to agree with wasabi on this, that Gilles/Poirier were overscored in the SD. Am I surprised? No. Let's see what happens with the FD. In terms of US nationals, I have a feeling we will see a Canton sweep. The only thing that seems to disappoint me this season with the SDs in general is that teams that are not displaying a latin theme/moves are not being punished for it.

wasabi

On the Ice
I have to agree with wasabi on this, that Gilles/Poirier were overscored in the SD. Am I surprised? No. Let's see what happens with the FD. In terms of US nationals, I have a feeling we will see a Canton sweep. The only thing that seems to disappoint me this season with the SDs in general is that teams that are not displaying a latin theme/moves are not being punished for it.

C/B, S/G and H/D are all new teams with one member having had a high degree of success with previous partner. But will they all be overmarked at Nats as well? IMHO, all of these teams are much more evenly matched than G/P.

I think you are right that C/B may complete the podium.

Macassar88

Medalist
Ugh Tessa and Scott's new SD is much worse. Not only did they not have the same energy that they usually do, but the composition is terrible. Temptation has a rhumba sequence and tons of filler and feels really empty. Mujer Latina is jam packed with the circular footwork and a lift. No dance at the end - just getting the lift in barely in time to put her down.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are some very good things about Chock/Bates' programs this year. Samuelson / Gilles's SD is particularly annoying, IMO.

But as to what is Latin, maybe we should have a thread on this subject in the Edge.

If any of you dance fans are interested, I'll kick it off. It appears to be something that many people have strong opinions about--me too.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If P/G were over scored, it might have something to do with them skating in the first group. They were eye popping amidst the also runs. Also the clever choreography. Judges are human.

I really enjoy the full screen clarity of TSN. :thumbsup: