Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Men short program

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    709
    Chan was amazing today!! You could really tell he was on. Of course, 101 is completely ridiculous, but in comparison to the other scores, was accurate. National scores are always inflated, after all. A skate like this at worlds would make him really hard to beat.

    I was really impressed with Reynolds as well. What a comeback after a so so season.

    The biggest shock for me was actually Liam Firus. I was insanely impressed by his flow and artistry across the ice. Really wasn't expecting that. I think that he could seriously be one to watch in a couple of years.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    This may be one of your rare chances to watch Maxime-Billy Fortin, unless somebody cares to upload his performance to Youtube. Go to http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/ and click on Men's Short Program 2nd Flight and watch from around 20:20. Such natural and innate musicality on ice!

    Patrick's skate: Click on Canadian Figure skating Championships: Opening Statement. Or go to the 2nd Pg for Men's Short Program, 3rd Flight, which includes Ten, Reynolds, Balde, and Firus. Quite a group. Nam is in 2nd Group.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.

  3. #33
    just call me K or Art jockey
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    This may be one of your rare chances to watch Maxime-Billy Fortin, unless somebody cares to upload his performance to Youtube. Go to http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/ and click on Men's Short Program 2nd Flight and watch from around 20:20. Such natural and innate musicality on ice!
    Couldn't agree more. I saw this first when I watched a bit of the Canadian Challenge coverage and loved it. Then and now I would have dished out higher PCS scores in some categories.

    Here's a link to the SP from the SC Challenge. Enjoy: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18912810 :D

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Of course, 101 is completely ridiculous,
    Why was it ridiculous? Did you review the protocol and noticed anything that make you say this? And what might that be?

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Of course, 101 is completely ridiculous.
    My crystal ball was perfectly right when I said that chanadian judges took notes after Dai hit 96 with the amazing performance, and they would give Chan 100 no matter what. Ironically, his average skating, not a masterpiece at all, with non-secure landed 4t, quite dull 3A and not super fast spins, made his program look less entertaining because there was no funny zamboni trick. His PCS is just a joke. But yeah, it was Nationals. They are always inflated.
    In general the field was very weak compared to Japanese Nationals and Russian, even if men's event is considered to be one of the weakest now in Russia, if not the weakest one.

  6. #36
    mylastduchess
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    My crystal ball was perfectly right when I said that chanadian judges took notes after Dai hit 96 with the amazing performance, and they would give Chan 100 no matter what. Ironically, his average skating, not a masterpiece at all, with non-secure landed 4t, quite dull 3A and not super fast spins, made his program look less entertaining because there was no funny zamboni trick. His PCS is just a joke. But yeah, it was Nationals. They are always inflated.
    In general the field was very weak compared to Japanese Nationals and Russian, even if men's event is considered to be one of the weakest now in Russia, if not the weakest one.
    Sour graping much?

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Why was it ridiculous? Did you review the protocol and noticed anything that make you say this? And what might that be?
    Simply because it's a score no one has come close to internationally. I won't take anything away from Chan. I thought he skated perfectly, and that he's completely brilliant. It's just that he broke a world record with a pretty much identical skate and it earned him a 90. I'm also not trying to imply that his marks were inflated while others weren't. All of the men scored higher yesterday than they would have internationally. I'm just saying, based on the way that the judging has been, 101 just isn't attainable in an international competition, by anyone. Heaven knows if anyone could get it, it would be Chan.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    My crystal ball was perfectly right when I said that chanadian judges took notes after Dai hit 96 with the amazing performance, and they would give Chan 100 no matter what. Ironically, his average skating, not a masterpiece at all, with non-secure landed 4t, quite dull 3A and not super fast spins, made his program look less entertaining because there was no funny zamboni trick. His PCS is just a joke. But yeah, it was Nationals. They are always inflated.
    In general the field was very weak compared to Japanese Nationals and Russian, even if men's event is considered to be one of the weakest now in Russia, if not the weakest one.
    LOL, I find your criticism regarding Chan's skate is a joke, not his PCs. Average skating? Non-secure 4t? Dull 3A? I wonder what's the point for you to even watch his skate since it's obviously from the start, he's going to be over-marked with so so skate and you are going to hate it. Why not just go to enjoy the skaters you love, instead of constantly bashing Chan for every chance you have?
    Last edited by jettasian; 01-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Simply because it's a score no one has come close to internationally. I won't take anything away from Chan. I thought he skated perfectly, and that he's completely brilliant. It's just that he broke a world record with a pretty much identical skate and it earned him a 90. I'm also not trying to imply that his marks were inflated while others weren't. All of the men scored higher yesterday than they would have internationally. I'm just saying, based on the way that the judging has been, 101 just isn't attainable in an international competition, by anyone. Heaven knows if anyone could get it, it would be Chan.
    So because nobody may be able to reach that milestone, the 101 is ridiculous? This competition has NOTHING to do with other international skaters. The judges gave the mark what they saw in that particular performance, not thinking..."hum, Dai got 90+, Plush got whatever...should I give Chan around that as well?" etc.
    Last edited by jettasian; 01-22-2012 at 10:36 AM.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I saw this first when I watched a bit of the Canadian Challenge coverage and loved it. Then and now I would have dished out higher PCS scores in some categories.

    Here's a link to the SP from the SC Challenge. Enjoy: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18912810 :D
    Thank you for the link. So I cheated and watched his FP. Can't wait to see him do it in front of a full house of audience!

    It's not right that his IN and P/E are under 6.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,235
    "It may not have been the most solid, the jumps were a little off to me," Chan said. "Those points were deserved because I worked quite hard, it wasn't easy, it wasn't a walk in the park." (http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=385717). If I hadn't watched his skate on TV, I would have imagined a labored performance with shaky jumps and an inflated score that rewarded his hard work instead of actual performance. Well, this is what I saw in his performance: beautiful 3A, relaxed performance not labored at all....Quite a different picture. Either he needs a speech lesson or I need a skating lesson.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    "It may not have been the most solid, the jumps were a little off to me," Chan said. "Those points were deserved because I worked quite hard, it wasn't easy, it wasn't a walk in the park." (http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=385717). If I hadn't watched his skate on TV, I would have imagined a labored performance with shaky jumps and an inflated score that rewarded his hard work instead of actual performance. Well, this is what I saw in his performance: beautiful 3A, relaxed performance not labored at all....Quite a different picture. Either he needs a speech lesson or I need a skating lesson.
    I admit, I had the same reaction - although I have only seen the video from rinkside and not a 'made for tv' version. But, on a more serious note, maybe it felt like work to him, but boy did he work magic as it appeared easy and effortless.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,385
    I had the same reaction with his speech too but that's why I love his interviews right after the competitions, because he lets out his thoughts. He is his own harshest critics as he looks to improve every little bit of the program and the performance, even what are not evident to the viewers. OTOH, sometimes he sounds self-satisfied because he finds the lessons he needs and the improvements others overlook while focusing on his errors.

    Watch Drive For Five In High Gear on Skatebuzz, an interview with Debbie Wilkes.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-22-2012 at 11:46 AM.

  14. #44
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,783
    Patrick was glorious !

    and I'm beyond thrilled at the change for Elladj ( wish he'd done it lsat year)

  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    552
    For once, I miss PJ Kwong and Kurt Browning. How on earth Tracy Wilson gets to work on both networks in Canada, PLUS USA as well?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •