Men short program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men short program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So happy for come back kids Kevin and Jeremy! And Patrick of course! May they all stay healthy and bring us their very best.

Thanks for the video. I often find what a fan shoots from a fixed spot offers different perspective, especially on speed and ice coverage. It's amazing to see Patrick's one foot skating from the far end of the rink to almost the near end in no time.

And I found the most musical Men skater in the world today - Maxime-Billy Fortin! :rock: Incredible performer. I don't care if he can jump.

I've always found Liam Firus very Chan like in his skating. When the commentators said that he looked like Elvis Stojko, I thought if only he jumped like Stojko instead, he could be the world champion!

eta: Protocol

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
And I found the most musical Men skater in the world today - Maxime-Billy Fortin! :rock: Incredible performer. I don't care if he can jump.

Agreed. That's why I like to watch the whole field. Of course, it would be even better if he had the jumps he needed.

Also glad Kevin nailed it; I've been indifferent to him up until this year, but I"m starting to like him.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Kevin did a really good job, and of course Patrick did. I'm happy to see Jeremy Ten back up there too, despite the fall on the 3A. I really miss SHAWN. :(

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I came in late so I missed his performance but everyone was buzzing about Nam Nguyen. He and his family were sitting right in front of me. The little girls were lining up to get autographs and pictures. It was super cute!

I was impressed with Elladj Balde. His speed and command of the ice was refreshing to watch. I thought he would have placed third; it was the only placement of the night that I was surprised with.

Chan is so far beyond the rest of the competition. That quad was like butter!

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Than you for the links SkateFiguring, ImaginaryPogue and reynycpr! You guys are awesome!

Reynycpr: You wouldn't happen to be newyorican would you? :)

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Chan was amazing today!! You could really tell he was on. Of course, 101 is completely ridiculous, but in comparison to the other scores, was accurate. National scores are always inflated, after all. A skate like this at worlds would make him really hard to beat.

I was really impressed with Reynolds as well. What a comeback after a so so season.

The biggest shock for me was actually Liam Firus. I was insanely impressed by his flow and artistry across the ice. Really wasn't expecting that. I think that he could seriously be one to watch in a couple of years.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This may be one of your rare chances to watch Maxime-Billy Fortin, unless somebody cares to upload his performance to Youtube. Go to http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/ and click on Men's Short Program 2nd Flight and watch from around 20:20. Such natural and innate musicality on ice!

Patrick's skate: Click on Canadian Figure skating Championships: Opening Statement. Or go to the 2nd Pg for Men's Short Program, 3rd Flight, which includes Ten, Reynolds, Balde, and Firus. Quite a group. Nam is in 2nd Group.

Last edited:

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
This may be one of your rare chances to watch Maxime-Billy Fortin, unless somebody cares to upload his performance to Youtube. Go to http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/ and click on Men's Short Program 2nd Flight and watch from around 20:20. Such natural and innate musicality on ice!

Couldn't agree more. I saw this first when I watched a bit of the Canadian Challenge coverage and loved it. Then and now I would have dished out higher PCS scores in some categories.

Here's a link to the SP from the SC Challenge. Enjoy: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18912810 :D

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Of course, 101 is completely ridiculous.
My crystal ball was perfectly right when I said that chanadian judges took notes after Dai hit 96 with the amazing performance, and they would give Chan 100 no matter what. Ironically, his average skating, not a masterpiece at all, with non-secure landed 4t, quite dull 3A and not super fast spins, made his program look less entertaining because there was no funny zamboni trick. His PCS is just a joke. But yeah, it was Nationals. They are always inflated.
In general the field was very weak compared to Japanese Nationals and Russian, even if men's event is considered to be one of the weakest now in Russia, if not the weakest one.

M

mylastduchess

My crystal ball was perfectly right when I said that chanadian judges took notes after Dai hit 96 with the amazing performance, and they would give Chan 100 no matter what. Ironically, his average skating, not a masterpiece at all, with non-secure landed 4t, quite dull 3A and not super fast spins, made his program look less entertaining because there was no funny zamboni trick. His PCS is just a joke. But yeah, it was Nationals. They are always inflated.
In general the field was very weak compared to Japanese Nationals and Russian, even if men's event is considered to be one of the weakest now in Russia, if not the weakest one.
Sour graping much? ;)

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Why was it ridiculous? Did you review the protocol and noticed anything that make you say this? And what might that be?

Simply because it's a score no one has come close to internationally. I won't take anything away from Chan. I thought he skated perfectly, and that he's completely brilliant. It's just that he broke a world record with a pretty much identical skate and it earned him a 90. I'm also not trying to imply that his marks were inflated while others weren't. All of the men scored higher yesterday than they would have internationally. I'm just saying, based on the way that the judging has been, 101 just isn't attainable in an international competition, by anyone. Heaven knows if anyone could get it, it would be Chan.

jettasian

Match Penalty

LOL, I find your criticism regarding Chan's skate is a joke, not his PCs. Average skating? Non-secure 4t? Dull 3A? I wonder what's the point for you to even watch his skate since it's obviously from the start, he's going to be over-marked with so so skate and you are going to hate it. Why not just go to enjoy the skaters you love, instead of constantly bashing Chan for every chance you have?

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Simply because it's a score no one has come close to internationally. I won't take anything away from Chan. I thought he skated perfectly, and that he's completely brilliant. It's just that he broke a world record with a pretty much identical skate and it earned him a 90. I'm also not trying to imply that his marks were inflated while others weren't. All of the men scored higher yesterday than they would have internationally. I'm just saying, based on the way that the judging has been, 101 just isn't attainable in an international competition, by anyone. Heaven knows if anyone could get it, it would be Chan.

So because nobody may be able to reach that milestone, the 101 is ridiculous? This competition has NOTHING to do with other international skaters. The judges gave the mark what they saw in that particular performance, not thinking..."hum, Dai got 90+, Plush got whatever...should I give Chan around that as well?" etc.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Couldn't agree more. I saw this first when I watched a bit of the Canadian Challenge coverage and loved it. Then and now I would have dished out higher PCS scores in some categories.

Here's a link to the SP from the SC Challenge. Enjoy: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18912810 :D

Thank you for the link. So I cheated and watched his FP. Can't wait to see him do it in front of a full house of audience!

It's not right that his IN and P/E are under 6. :disapp: