Men short program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men short program

skatinginbc

Medalist
"It may not have been the most solid, the jumps were a little off to me," Chan said. "Those points were deserved because I worked quite hard, it wasn't easy, it wasn't a walk in the park." (http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=385717). If I hadn't watched his skate on TV, I would have imagined a labored performance with shaky jumps and an inflated score that rewarded his hard work instead of actual performance. Well, this is what I saw in his performance: beautiful 3A, relaxed performance not labored at all....Quite a different picture. Either he needs a speech lesson or I need a skating lesson. :biggrin:

emma

Record Breaker
"It may not have been the most solid, the jumps were a little off to me," Chan said. "Those points were deserved because I worked quite hard, it wasn't easy, it wasn't a walk in the park." (http://tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=385717). If I hadn't watched his skate on TV, I would have imagined a labored performance with shaky jumps and an inflated score that rewarded his hard work instead of actual performance. Well, this is what I saw in his performance: beautiful 3A, relaxed performance not labored at all....Quite a different picture. Either he needs a speech lesson or I need a skating lesson. :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh: I admit, I had the same reaction - although I have only seen the video from rinkside and not a 'made for tv' version. But, on a more serious note, maybe it felt like work to him, but boy did he work magic as it appeared easy and effortless.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I had the same reaction with his speech too but that's why I love his interviews right after the competitions, because he lets out his thoughts. He is his own harshest critics as he looks to improve every little bit of the program and the performance, even what are not evident to the viewers. OTOH, sometimes he sounds self-satisfied because he finds the lessons he needs and the improvements others overlook while focusing on his errors.

Watch Drive For Five In High Gear on Skatebuzz, an interview with Debbie Wilkes.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
For once, I miss PJ Kwong and Kurt Browning. How on earth Tracy Wilson gets to work on both networks in Canada, PLUS USA as well?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think this SP fits him like a glove. I enjoyed it very much! Much more than I did at last year worlds. Great job, Patrick!:love:

derplutz

Rinkside
For once, I miss PJ Kwong and Kurt Browning. How on earth Tracy Wilson gets to work on both networks in Canada, PLUS USA as well?

probably because PJ Kwong and Kurt are terrible commentators, and Tracy, although not a great announcer herself, just has that announcer voice and look

jettasian

Match Penalty
PJ Kwong may not be the best commentator, but she has the knowledge and LOVES figure skating. I think that's important. It's not just a job for her. And to do 6 to 8 hours a day on live stream is no small task either.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
LOL, I find your criticism regarding Chan's skate is a joke, not his PCs. Average skating? Non-secure 4t? Dull 3A? I wonder what's the point for you to even watch his skate since it's obviously from the start, he's going to be over-marked with so so skate and you are going to hate it. Why not just go to enjoy the skaters you love, instead of constantly bashing Chan for every chance you have?
Come on.. that was worth watching: no single fall. The quad was sloppy and 3A was not that high or gorgeous. Easy to see. Even Chan himself tried to be humble (honestly, never expected this from him) and gave critical comments to his own skating. Probably, the guy knows already what things are said about his scores in FS community, and I am not speaking about myself. But still he got overloaded GOE. PCS is a joke. "Take five" itself is not a masterpiece at all. Also, watching it for the second season is a kind of bore. It dulls to death.
Sour graping much? ;)
I wish. But protocals are all there. Canadian field was indeed much weeker than Japanese or Russian. Fact.

wallylutz

Medalist
I wish. But protocals are all there. Canadian field was indeed much weeker than Japanese or Russian. Fact.

Really? A fact? Anybody landed Quad Salchow+Triple Toe combo at the Japanese National or the Russian National? How about a guy who was credited with 3 landed Quads, including 2 Quad Salchows, still only ended up merely 2nd at Canadian National? How many Quads did Kozuka, the Silver Medalist at Japanese National land? I think it was something like 0. Zero, wow, I mean can the number go negative like -1? I am sure Sergei Voronov is taking the World by storm by finishing 3rd at Russian National because you know, he is so good that he managed to give Russia only 1 spot for 2011 at the 2010 Worlds. Gachinski must be so hot that he miserably failed to qualify for GPF this season by a mile. Last but not least, remind me how many jumps did Plushenko miss at Russian National vs. that the # of jumps that Chan missed? Well, I think if we were to go by that, the score would be like 4-0, advantage Chan. Or for that matter, how many times did Dai crash on the ice on his way to win the Japanese National? Yep, I am sure those rolling on the ice were designed to enhance the emotions and choreography of his FS. :sheesh:

You know something? There is a very real possibility that there will be no Japanese or Russian man on the World podium this year, I think that says a lot about the state of men's skating and your really twisted sense of reality. Surely, you are entitled to whatever opinion you may have but let's try not to augment it to the status of a "fact" just because you say so or maybe the insecurity is showing after all.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Come on.. that was worth watching: no single fall. The quad was sloppy and 3A was not that high or gorgeous. Easy to see. Even Chan himself tried to be humble (honestly, never expected this from him) and gave critical comments to his own skating. Probably, the guy knows already what things are said about his scores in FS community, and I am not speaking about myself. But still he got overloaded GOE. PCS is a joke. "Take five" itself is not a masterpiece at all. Also, watching it for the second season is a kind of bore. It dulls to death.

Then why are you still watching him skate? So you can come here and bash him some more? It proves nothing but just you being a troll, trying to stir some crap.

spikydurian

Medalist
Then why are you still watching him skate? So you can come here and bash him some more? It proves nothing but just you being a troll, trying to stir some crap.
Don't pay attention to Let's Talk (rubbish?), Jettasian. Reading through several threads, I always skip reading his/her comments. There are some comments which I enjoy reading because they make sense and as a non-skater but fan of figure-skating, you learn from their knowledge/comments. In LTR's case, it's complete waste of time to even argue with him/her. As you rightly pointed out, just a troll. Let a troll be forever a troll :biggrin: