Free Dance | Golden Skate

Free Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The first part was run this morning, and shown on skatebuzz. (Check the right hand column)

Those programs can be viewed as separate performances in Archived Videos. The dance programs are below the Men's SP performances on this page.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/canadian-figure-skating-championships-2012

The following competitors have already skated their FD's earlier today.

Their protocols

http://results.skatecanada.ca/2011-2012/2012CDNS/2012CDNSSrDanceFreesegJudgesDetails.pdf

Summary so far

Rank Competitor(s) Section SD FD Points
1 Nicole Orford / Thomas Williams BC/YT 56.58 88.95 145.53
2 Tarrah Harvey / Keith Gagnon BC/YT 53.87 83.54 137.41
3 Larissa Van As / Troy Shindle BC/YT 38.52 71.28 109.80
4 Mélissande Dumas / David Mackay Perry QC 39.40 66.82 106.22
5 Shanna René De Cotret-Laporte / Alexandre Laliberté QC 42.60 63.42 106.02
6 Anoushka Ritchie-Hervieux / Philippe Massé QC 39.02 66.13 105.15
7 Olga Lioudvinevitch / Benjamin Mulder WO 38.37 66.12 104.49
8 Helene Letourneau / Kevin Boczar EO 37.21 59.30 96.51
9 Jazz Smyl Joly / Nicholas Jesionek AB/NT/NU 31.60 54.75 86.35

Jazz Smyl(e) Jol(l)y deserves bonus points for cool name!

And Anoushka Ritchie-Hervieux is no slouch, either. :clap:

I was just noticing Melissande Dumas, namewise. I agree about the other two, Math.

Some years ago, there was a female skater named Tristan Vega. Both first and last name are high in cool factor.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Coolest is Kevin Bozcar who at 22 is in his second year of med school, if I have it right.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Results are in! Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, and Ralph/Hill go to Worlds. Gilles/Poirier break the 100 mark in the FD and win their first senior National medal as a team!

Senior Dance
Rank Competitor(s) Section SD FD Points
1 Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir WO 68.41 111.61 180.02
2 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje NO 68.27 106.26 174.53
3 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier CO 62.78 100.76 163.54
4 Kharis Ralph / Asher Hill CO 58.92 88.59 147.51
5 Alexandra Paul / Mitchell Islam CO 57.30 89.18 146.48
6 Nicole Orford / Thomas Williams BC/YT 56.58 88.95 145.53
7 Tarrah Harvey / Keith Gagnon BC/YT 53.87 83.54 137.41
8 Larissa Van As / Troy Shindle BC/YT 38.52 71.28 109.80
9 Mélissande Dumas / David Mackay Perry QC 39.40 66.82 106.22
10 Shanna René De Cotret-Laporte / Alexandre Laliberté QC 42.60 63.42 106.02
11 Anoushka Ritchie-Hervieux / Philippe Massé QC 39.02 66.13 105.15
12 Olga Lioudvinevitch / Benjamin Mulder WO 38.37 66.12 104.49
13 Helene Letourneau / Kevin Boczar EO 37.21 59.30 96.51
14 Jazz Smyl Joly / Nicholas Jesionek AB/NT/NU 31.60 54.75 86.35

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I thought Gilles/Poirier were overmarked and Ralph/Hill should have won the bronze medal. But I'm happy Ralph/Hill are going to worlds.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Strangely, Ralph/Hill only managed to place 6th in the FD. Their SD is what saved them.

heyhey

On the Ice
Well at least both Weaver/Poje and V/M had clean skates - so that's a good sign. Weaver/Poje have a FD that works for them this year. The challenge will be next year and what they come up with. Gilles/Poirier were overmarked as I predicted. Definitely politicking there.
Positives: V/M did come out and skate a strong FD after yesterday's so-so SD performance. Weaver/Poje skated cleanly for 2 consecutive dances. I am also glad that Ralph/Hill will be going to Worlds - that experience will be HUGE for them. Paul/Islam at least finished their season on a positive note and can work from here.
My two cents...

skatingfan04

Final Flight
:unsure: This event was really weird. Heck, this whole weekend has been weird.

Paul & Islam skated pretty well, considering, and posted a nice score. While it was a shame to see them miss worlds by such a small margin, their FD was not as good, IMO, as the one they skated at SA early in the season. I thought they had more speed, expression and chemistry this time around, but Mitchell looked off balance from start to finish, and he seemed to be jerking Alexandra around a bit during the footwork as well. Stll, their lines are gorgeous, and the FD itself was abeautiful piece. I have no doubt they'll come back blazing next season.

I'm really happy for Ralph & Hill. They skated really well tonight. I will say, though, that I found myself liking this FD less this time around. Parts of it seemed a little cluttered to me, and other parts didn't flow as well as I had hoped. Still, they've improved greatly in the past year, and deserve their trip to worlds. I particularly liked their chemistry and performance level.

Now, here's where I got really ticked off. :scowl: I'd really love to know where the judges found Gilles & Poirier's marks, because all I saw in that FD was a bunch of disjointed moves that had nothing to do with the music and Paul dragging Piper through some of the technical sections. Am I missing something? Honestly, I'm lost. If anyone can fill me in, please do. I just don't get it.

:biggrin: I'm really proud of Weaver & Poje. While it wasn't my all time favourite version of this FD, they still knocked it out of the park. I don't think its possible for me to love them any more than I do right now. Their marks were way to close to G/P's if you ask me.

It was great to see Virtue & Moir looking like themselves again tonight. I really liked the changes that they made, although the new lift could have gone a little smoother, and artistically this might have been their best of the season. I'm liking this FD more and more every time I see it. Their marks were quite low, though, when you consider what the others scored, so I'm assuming they got hammered on their levels once again. It seems that no matter how well they perform this FD, the marks just aren't going to get where they should be this year.:think:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I'd really love to know where the judges found Gilles & Poirier's marks, because all I saw in that FD was a bunch of disjointed moves that had nothing to do with the music and Paul dragging Piper through some of the technical sections. Am I missing something?

I totally agree. They have great personality but there is still a lot missing. A lot of people in the audience were outraged that they didn't receive higher marks. :rolleye:

My other free dance comment; Weaver's fist grabs are totally annoying. We get it; the music is powerful, please don't pump your fist to show us.

heyhey

On the Ice
Well we all knew that the ice dance event would be interesting to see in terms of politicking...we saw a clear message that Gilles/Poirier will be supported and to think that they broke 100 for their FD speaks volumes. You almost have to wonder if Skate Canada slightly nudged the US Figure Skating Federation to not release Hubbell to skate with Vanessa Crone - and the interesting thing is that Crone and Hubbell were supposedly skating at the DSC - I think Ms. Krylova and Mr. Carmenlago will be having some hmmm moments. And the drama continues...LOL...we'll see what the US nationals in ice dance will display in terms of politicking....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
If W/P don't medal this year at Worlds, I'm gonna predict G/P beating them next season. Which would be a crying shame.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I love Virtue/Moir and I know this tech panal was kind of rough,but they really need to start getting their levels again. I saw the protocols a bit ago but I think there were 3 or 4 level 3's. I definitely appreciate how hard it can be to get a level 4 on some of these step sequences/lifts but Davis/White are going to get level 4's or (possibly literally if you listen to White) die trying and I think this year that would definitely make the difference.

Otherwise it was a great competition. I just LOVE W/P this year and am really happy for them. Agree with all that's already been said about P/G though I do enjoy watching them and think they are doing just fine for where they are right now in their partnership.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You almost have to wonder if Skate Canada slightly nudged the US Figure Skating Federation to not release Hubbell to skate with Vanessa Crone - and the interesting thing is that Crone and Hubbell were supposedly skating at the DSC - I think Ms. Krylova and Mr. Carmenlago will be having some hmmm moments.

You are REALLY REACHING with this sort of semi-accusation of foul play and political manipulation. Wild speculations like this is what circulates untrue rumors. It has been stated plenty of times that Keiffer was not released by USFSA to skate for Canada because the USA still sees him as a valuable team asset, having been a 4CC bronze medalist in 2010, a 2-time US pewter medalist in 2009 and 2011, and Junior Grand Prix Final Champion in 2006-2007. He also has not sat out of competition for the required amount of time to be released to skate for another nation; just last season he was skating with his sister on the GP circuit representing the US. Yes, the rules and restrictions suck, but they apply to everyone.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
I LOVE Gilles/Piorier's program. It's different with element of surprises. Trovil and Dean's choreo was genius. They choreo C/P's last year program (which I also love) as well. Ralph/Hill, sorry, I fell asleep half way.

jettasian

Match Penalty
If W/P don't medal this year at Worlds, I'm gonna predict G/P beating them next season. Which would be a crying shame.

First of all, whether W/P medal or not this year, has nothing to do with G/P. Second of all, how do you know what will happen next year? Why would that be a crying shame if G/P beat W/P with better skate or program etc?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Paul/Islam and Ralph/Hill were both quite strong. It's ashame that they won't get many opportunities on the world stage to show off. I'd love it if SC split the 4CC and Worlds teams between these two like Japan did Olympics/Worlds in 2010 for Suzuki and Nakano (the latter retired, so it was moot). Actually, if my hunch is correct, I'd love it if these teams country hopped elsewhere because that's how they'll get those international opportunities. I think Ralph/Hill had a good program, but the skate wasn't as great as it could've been, admittedly. High National 80s is about right. I thought Paul/Islam were tremendous though. Her emotional fluidity is insane - the way she expresses feelings and the music with her face and fingertips is heartwrenching. They are so beautiful together - he leads her so well. Now that they're exploring themselves further and not just being V/M clones (which I thought they were, regardless of the truth behind it), I cannot wait to see them grow

Weaver/Poje have finally, finally cast of the demons of the past. I thought this skate was slightly lesser than at the GPF, but it's a program that's unlocked them as skaters. Their SD last season was the suggestion that Krylova/Camerlengo had a key, but this season they've truly stepped up to the top rank of dance. I complained so long last season about Moulin Rouge. I defended C/P from those that figured W/P should be beating them hands down. "Je Suis Malade" connects with them and connects with me in a way that they haven't in the past. I truly, truly hope that my fears are unfounded and that they continue to skate with the full support of the federation. I'd hate to have to join the brigade I disagreed with just one year ago.

Last night, Virtue and Moir weren't on form. They weren't skating as one. Tonight, they were. I love "Funny Face." I've come to the conclusion that I will watch these two skate anything, but watching them skating something as personal to them as this is just a joy. The way they embody the characters, the movement, the poise of the Donen masterpiece is just bewitching. The minor changes add to the program in sublime ways. And that final lift.... a glorious glorious moment - this team is magic for me. I love them so much, I'm torn between wanting to remember them at their perfect peak (Olympic Mahler) and wanting them to continue, regardless of the possible medal loss (no, they're not winning Worlds this year - sorry guys). When people criticize Suguri or Plushenko, it's always with harshness of those that are disappointed that they can't remember them as they want to. The work V/M have done will stand. That won't change. Nothing changes the fact that they won the Olympic gold in 2010, as much as losing ground (and I have no idea if they are at this point) might feel otherwise.

jett, to answer your question....

We're seeing two roads at these Nationals. The first road is the one taken by Gilles/Porier. It's the road of interesting tricks (and that curve lift is a beauty) and getting the level fours. The other road, the one taken by Weaver/Poje and Paul/Islam is more difficult, because it's not at all clear it'll be successful. It's growing together first. It's not about big tricks but about finding the right wavelength for the team. It's working on weaknesses, not merely disguising them (a Lane trait - to whit, connection and posture). It's about dance as dance, for crying out loud. If the road we see G/P do is the road that's rewarded, that growth we see, that slow improvement won't be attempted as often. It'll be like watching Khoklova/Novitski everywhere.

Lets make this clear - that was not a 100 skate. That was not a 100 skate internationally. That was not a 100 skate nationally (presume 10% inflation, as has been said in the past).

Gilles/Poirier.. where to begin. Lets start with the positives. They clearly like each other. They like skating with each other. I don't see the on ice chemistry that others seem to, but off ice it's obvious that their relationship is solid. It'll provide them a good ground to work on. If this scored say 85, I'd have said "high score, look forward to more." It wouldn't be a big deal. But to see the judges give STRAIGHT 3s for the twizzles? To see only three ones, the rest twos and threes for GOES in general? To see them getting eights as if eights were candy? They got 8.17 for Linking Movement/Footwork. Seriously? That doens't make any sense to me. inflation is less egregiously ridiculous.

jett, the reason I say this is because I feel the narrative surrounding Crone, Porier, Gilles and the Lane school has been percolating for quite some time (since around the Olympics, imo). The way Crone has been shifted out of the conversation. The way that all of a sudden, a first year team is scoring 100s. W/P just broke a 100 for the first time the same night G/P did. Doesn't that sound insane? C/P weren't able to score that high. But further to that, Skate Canada has a history of supporting those who might not necessarily deserve it. One of the interesting things about Canadian ice dance is the diversity of dance schools. Wing/Lowe. Paul McKintosh. Mr. Mitchell. And not to mention Krylova/Camerlengo, Bourne, and Zoueva/Shpilband. A concentrated outpouring of support on one school doesn't benefit the sport. The Duchesnays switched countries because they felt that they weren't supported (they didn't train in Ontario, like most teams). Tracy Wainman was pushed superhard in the 80s. Shawn Sawyer mentioned that Skate Canada wasn't supportive of his decision to skate last season (and imagine if he hadn't gotten the opportunity to deliver the LP at Nationals he did) - they prefered Reynolds at first (he was the only other Canadian to get two GP spots right off the bat). I found it bizarre that a couple of the skaters last season at Nationals that earned the spot for Worlds (Samson, Sawyer) decided not to go and I did frankly wonder if SC pressured them to skip.

So, if W/P are able to medal in Nice, they'll no longer be the team that "just missed" for Skate Canada. They didn't just miss a National Championship (last season). They aren't the team that missed the Olympics when it was handed to them. They aren't the team that bombed 4CC after being in a medal position. They aren't the team that fell off the podium at the GPF (10/11), Skate America (2010). That's who I believe they are to Skate Canada. But now.... this is the team that beat the Russian #1s Bobrova/Soloviev on their home turf. Twice. If they medal in Nice, that means they withstood the desire to see P/B medal at home (which, frankly, is what I want to happen as well, I really like what they've done this year). Should G/P improve to the point where they deserve to beat W/P, I will stand up and applaud. But if they're pushed into the limelight without the requisite growth (especially from her).... well, I think Davis/White beating Virtue/Moir in London will be easier to stomach.

It was a thrilling day for me. Patrick Chan's epic short program, once again delivering a withering thwack to naysayers and haters. Duhamel/Radford finding the form they needed. Dube/Wolfe surprising everyone and placing second. These skaters reminding me how awesome Canadian ice dance truly is.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Your long blah blah blah about G/P etc drama...not reading it. Just find your "future" prediction is just ridiculous, nothing but just showing your bias toward certain team. It has no merit whatsoever. You basically call someone guilty before you even know the nature of the case.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Your long blah blah blah about G/P etc drama...not reading it. Just find your "future" prediction is just ridiculous, nothing but just showing your bias toward certain team. It has no merit whatsoever. You basically call someone guilty before you even know the nature of the case.

Thank you for your erudite response.