Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Men - Free Program

Custom Title
    I like the fact that he took his time for all noises to die out and the mood to settle in before he got into the start position.

Custom Title

On the Ice
    Chan amazing.

Disappointed that Balde didn't beat Ten, but great skate for Balde

Still not a fan of Reynolds

Custom Title
    So, it's pretty much clear that Chan will step it up at Nationals. 2008 Nationals? Dethrones Buttle. 2009? Lands two triple axels in his free program. 2010? Comes back from injury to suggest that a medal at Worlds/Olympics is plausible. 2011? The most astonishing skate of his career.

I'm glad he skated clean - this program deserved as much. But I think he can bring an even greater commitment to the choreography and music then he did here. But his command of skate language is second to none. He's growing as a performer. I said "Je Suis Malade" unlocked Weaver/Poje. I think the same of "Aranjuez" for Chan. What a marvelous skater.

Banned
    First, congrat to Chan, Gong Hey Fat Choi !!!

I can't believe he managed to get the 2T in after the shaky 4T! Other than that, he was flying on the ice....so fast, and all the jumps were so high.

Custom Title
    TSN isn't letting me watch - keeps saying error (this happened to me with V/M too, but the next day I could watch it). But here's a Youtube link for Chan...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xR2...ature=youtu.be

So, I'm beyond impressed and my hat is off to him and may he celebrate with abandon. I am struck, though, that there are a few noticeable jump related points here and there. I can only explain my feeling in terms of another skater: I thought Yuna kim's olympic LP was so amazing, just amazing, yet, I fixated (for a few seconds) on her lack of toe point and leg turn out. It's like, when someone is just so utterly amazing you see "stuff" that in others you wouldn't even notice.

That said, I really appreciate IP's words above (about command of skate language and this program unlocking something in him)....beautiful and apt words. I can't wait to finish what I'm working on now to go back and rewatch this a lot!

Hey, I just got back. Here are my thoughts on the day.

Chan is AMAZING!

The announcer said Reynolds may have broken a record for most rotations in a program. Can anyone confirm that?

I was surprised to see Ten is third. A beautiful skater but he didn't perform as well as Balde. He had to fight through every jump. I did however really enjoy his gala performance. It was less "Joanne Mcleod-ish" and quite lovely.

Balde was a lot of fun to watch. The height and power he gets with his jumps is awesome. If he had more of Ten's in-betweens, he'd be rocking.

I came in late but made it in time to see Nam Ngyuen. Keep an eye on that kid; he is good! And super cute!
    Last edited by Kara Bear; 01-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Videos of Patrick Chan's FP is up on TSN.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Patrick! Wow! What a way to celebrate the first day of year of Dragon.

Congratulations to Kevin and Jeremy!

Custom Title
    I'm so happy for Jeremy who was overwhelmed by emotions when he found out he had medaled. He was off ice for so long due to his injuries and rediscovered how much he loved skating and was thriledl to get his jumps back. Evidently he needs to have more consistent jumps and to get his 3A landed but I love his style and he had the second highest PCS of the Men's field.

I hope both Ten and Chan have a marvelous Year Of The Dragon!

Kudos to Kevin too for making a mark with all those quads. He almost made history today for landing 3 different quads. The 4Lo was downgraded, earning him only 3 points. Interesting that his TES is 85.51 compared to Patrick's 103.21. He has a great TES and a very impressive over all score of 158.63, just to be overshadowed by Patrick's amazing scores! Probably other skaters will meet the same fate comes Worlds if Patrick will put up similar performances.

Hi, Kara Bear. Glad to see you back posting!

Custom Title
    I just watched Chan's performance again on TV and am blown away even more. I think both the program AND Chan deserved that performance! He just seemed very relaxed, must have felt great to finally lay it down like that. To me he is so amazingly well-rounded as a skater/performer and his athleticism and stamina (and arm movements) are incredible. So happy for him!
    And great to see Kevin skate so well and to have Jeremy back too, I agree, his reaction was priceless and really touching. Balde, I wish he could have medalled as well since he had the skate of his life, but he has time.
    All in all, a great nationals (except for the women.....they left a little to be desired).

This was a very mature performance by Chan.

Banned
    If Chan skates like this at World...I think he will break his own record, 290s?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    So, it's pretty much clear that Chan will step it up at Nationals. 2008 Nationals? Dethrones Buttle. 2009? Lands two triple axels in his free program. 2010? Comes back from injury to suggest that a medal at Worlds/Olympics is plausible. 2011? The most astonishing skate of his career.

I'm glad he skated clean - this program deserved as much. But I think he can bring an even greater commitment to the choreography and music then he did here. But his command of skate language is second to none. He's growing as a performer. I said "Je Suis Malade" unlocked Weaver/Poje. I think the same of "Aranjuez" for Chan. What a marvelous skater.
    I always expect him to kick off the play off season with the Nationals. The supportive audience imparts energy and the program is seasoned at this point.

His focus this year is on the presentation side of the performance, looks like he's getting there, without sacrificing his technical difficulty, just as he didn't sacrifice footwork and transitions for quads. Once he has it, he doesn't give back but will only add to his arsenals.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    So, I'm beyond impressed and my hat is off to him and may he celebrate with abandon. I am struck, though, that there are a few noticeable jump related points here and there. I can only explain my feeling in terms of another skater: I thought Yuna kim's olympic LP was so amazing, just amazing, yet, I fixated (for a few seconds) on her lack of toe point and leg turn out. It's like, when someone is just so utterly amazing you see "stuff" that in others you wouldn't even notice.
    This is not a perfect skate by Patrick. His scores were helped by his thinking on his feet, adding a 3T to the 3F near the end of the program since he only did a 2T after the first quad. To have the presence of mind and the stamina to do that is amazing, yet so unnecessary during an in-the-zone performance when a skater is completely in the moment with nothing missed and nothing to be concerned about. That's when a perfect skate happens. I still have hope for such a performance yet from Patrick, preferably at Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Bear View Post
    I was surprised to see Ten is third. A beautiful skater but he didn't perform as well as Balde. He had to fight through every jump. I did however really enjoy his gala performance. It was less "Joanne Mcleod-ish" and quite lovely.

Balde was a lot of fun to watch. The height and power he gets with his jumps is awesome. If he had more of Ten's in-betweens, he'd be rocking.
    Balde outskated Ten in the Free but lagged in the Total Score. Jeremy did have jump issues but his skating skills are superior and his performance and interpretation are sophisticated and lyrical.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast