Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Men - Free Program

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Yeah I noticed Kevin attempted three quads...but to do it on a regular basis, it might be a bit too much for your body. It's great to see a program with 3 quads and two triple axels tho :P
    Yeah. And he attempted 2 triple-triple combos plus the 3 quads? Yikes!
    He's so cute.

Custom Title
    Don't forget his 3/3/3 combo!

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Don't forget his 3/3/3 combo!
    Of course! How could I?? hehehe

Custom Title
    Patrick's Free Skate with CTV commentary.

I missed Kurt's insights.

eta Nam's interview after the Free Skate with Debbie Wilks on Skate Buzz, revealing that he didn't do the 3A because he had 10 stitches on his foot after a collision with Jeremy before leaving for the Nationals.

Teenager Nam Nguyen turns heads in his senior debut at Canadian championships

``He's one of my heroes,'' said his coach Joanne McLeod. ``This was his first year in senior against the big guys, he's dealing with an injury that he had to his calf, and he's been very sort of not letting people know about it. But he fought through, he didn't have 100 per cent full strength at the start of the week, so I'm extremely proud of him.''

Nguyen suffered a cut to his calf muscle that required 10 stitches when collided with Vancouver skater Jeremy Ten in practice just over a week ago.

``The pain was like terrible, but thankfully my parents, they were doctors before, and they gave me a couple of exercises to prevent the pain coming back,'' Nguyen said. ``And here I am, talking to you guys.''
    etaa: The article and others recent write ups make it sound like Nam and Patrick just met for the first time but it ain't so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31_ep9Rkgc#t=220s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLxNbJqyoA#t=183s

As a champion himself, Nam has been mixing it up with the big boys and girls at the galas.

There is a photo of Patrick introducing Nam at 2009 4CC Gala, being all big brotherly, on Nam's web site.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-23-2012 at 08:07 PM.

On the Ice
    Chan should just go till 2014, win Olympics, retire.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    You are taking my words out of context. All I said was "Daisuke didn't get over 200 in his LP" with no mentions or implications of PChan's performance and interpretation being "crappy" (it was very good). But I see where "let's talk" is coming from, for a performance "worth" 200 points, some of the landings were not the cleanest. And also, I am not still not buying Patrick's interpretation of the music....he doesn't seem to "feel" the music, rather skates to the music instead. If Daisuke scored over 200 points with his National LP...boy, that would stirr a lot of controversy. But Daisuke won on the merit of his SP - brilliant performance, and not this LP alone (he was only ranked third).

@jettasian, don't understand why you have to be so defensive....you just jumped to conclusions.
    Interpretation is subjective. I find Dai's interpretation is usually over the top, everything is dramatic and screaming for attention. You call that "artistic", I call that "eye-rolling". Chan's interpretation is just more subtle. Again, it's just personal taste. But to use that to un-justify Chan's score shows the desperation.

And I wasn't defensive nor jumping to conclusion. Chan getting 200 has nothing to do with other skaters. If the judges thought he deserved it, they gave it to him. Yet, some think that since Dai didn't get it, Chan shouldn't either. If he got it, it gotta be inflated blah blah blah the same old crap.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Another example concerns his remarks on his short program performance at the National. As I have argued in the Men Short Program thread now hidden from view for some fishy reasons,
    ?? both the thread and your posts are all visible ??

Custom Title
    Toni, apparently the Men's SP thread was broken for some reason - Mathman alluded to it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by let's talk
    LOL!!! Over 200 with a bunch of crappy landings and no Hispanic character in the performance/interpretation.
    Well, this is the men's division, not ice dance. You won't see many men trying to distinguish a tango-like quad from a waltzy quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I don't yet see unbridled passion or a unique viewpoint in terms of expression, though, and there is still plenty to criticize about how the movements are designed to garner points rather than go to the music or form a complete whole.
    I don't think we will ever see a Natalie Portman as the Black Swan type performance from Patrick. I think he is more like Michelle Kwan. Michelle just wanted the audience to be as tickled over her performances as she was. "You don't love me yet? Well then check this out!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, this is the men's division, not ice dance. You won't see many men trying to distinguish a tango-like quad from a waltzy quad.
    I'd love to see Dai doing a Black Swan quad

Here's a nice article from G&M, apparently, Stojko's still not that impressed,

Technically (on jumping ability alone), Chan is doing what figure skaters did 12 years ago, Stojko says.
    And someone should remind Stojko that all the triples he did, many figure skaters had done years before he was even born
    Last edited by jettasian; 01-23-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Is it official that he will attend the 4CC? That might not be a good idea, I think. He beat Dai psychologically with his great performances at the last year's National. I think this year's performances could achieve the same effect on his competitors. He could gain little but lose a lot at 4CC. Don't go, Patrick.
    Considering the altitude at Colorado Springs (over 6000 feet above sea level) and the 15 hours time difference (jet lag) that Takahashi has to deal with whereas Chan would essentially be competing "at home" with no travel required, the Japanese Champion will have to be in exceptional condition to overcome his subpar performance at his Nationals and do better at the 4CC.

Win or lose, men's competition is always hard to predict - this isn't Ice Dance. Just because a World Champion didn't win every single event he/she enters is quite pointless in using that to predict the outcome of the next competition. Not sure what you think why Chan could lose a lot at 4CC? If he got beaten by someone, somehow that will hurt him the long-run??? I don't think such thought is warranted. If he got beaten, it can only mean he didn't skate his best, that's all. On the other hand, with very little expenses to incur for this event, he could pocket some nice prize $$$, which would be worth a lot of bus rides in LA.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Why should I have? Dai didn't get 300 and he lost to two other competitiors in FS, thanks to his mistakes. I said I was very disappointed.
    You may have forgot what you wrote in the Japanese Nationals thread re: Men, but I haven't. Any mention of Chan there was immediately called out by you as either OT or not belonging to there. Or those threads are supposed to be "positive" about Japanese skaters and any criticism is an affront to the "beautiful skaters". Well, you brought up Japanese and Russian skaters in the Canadian Men SP thread and continued to bash Chan and only Chan in the Men LP thread. :sheesh: Care to discuss why you have such blatant double standard or do I need to actually go dig up and quote all those "beautiful admonishment" you made in the Japanese National threads and copy them here?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post

And someone should remind Stojko that all the triples he did, many figure skaters had done years before he was even born
    Although Stojko isn't the most popular guy to be around these days, I have a feeling he was quoted out of the context here.

Custom Title
    Agreed, given that Smith didn't actually use any quotes. Ignoring that, Stoijko was the first guy to do a quad combo and quad-triple combo, so respect that. He did bust down some major technical barriers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    You may have forgot what you wrote in the Japanese Nationals thread re: Men, but I haven't. Any mention of Chan there was immediately called out by you as either OT or not belonging to there. Or those threads are supposed to be "positive" about Japanese skaters and any criticism is an affront to the "beautiful skaters". Well, you brought up Japanese and Russian skaters in the Canadian Men SP thread and continued to bash Chan and only Chan in the Men LP thread. :sheesh: Care to discuss why you have such blatant double standard or do I need to actually go dig up and quote all those "beautiful admonishment" you made in the Japanese National threads and copy them here?
    S/he's just troll. I think most likely his/her fave may have a hard time beating Chan, thus the anger directs at Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Agreed, given that Smith didn't actually use any quotes. Ignoring that, Stoijko was the first guy to do a quad combo and quad-triple combo, so respect that. He did bust down some major technical barriers.
    It doesn't matter that he was the first to do a quad. Someone had started a triple years before him. Someone has to start something first. His comment sounds like he still thinks he's better than everyone
    Last edited by jettasian; 01-23-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast