Men - Free Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^ Well, it's my poor writing that caused the challenge from bc. I meant that I had written that there was no need to second guess Patrick, not that there is no need to second guess him because I say so, which was what came across to bc.

eta. This is in response to Bluebonnet above.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But Daisuke didnt get over 200 in his LP........

Obviously a three-fall program could be called "crappy" but no one did, not from Dai fans of course, not even from non-Dai fans. Instead, some Dai-hard fan pop here and call a tiny shaky landing but still could be called perfectly clean program "crappy". What are you trying to argue about?!:think:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just love one of the winning secrets Patrick revealed: Save a potentially bad quad landing by tacking a 3T after it!

Now everybody can do the same and join the 300 Club. :laugh:

Kelly

On the Ice
After watching Patrica Chan's SP & LP on Youtube, I can ignore any arrogance I felt from his interview.

Becki

Medalist
Obviously a three-fall program could be called "crappy" but no one did, not from Dai fans of course, not even from non-Dai fans. Instead, some Dai-hard fan pop here and call a tiny shaky landing but still could be called perfectly clean program "crappy". What are you trying to argue about?!:think:

You are taking my words out of context. All I said was "Daisuke didn't get over 200 in his LP" with no mentions or implications of PChan's performance and interpretation being "crappy" (it was very good). But I see where "let's talk" is coming from, for a performance "worth" 200 points, some of the landings were not the cleanest. And also, I am not still not buying Patrick's interpretation of the music....he doesn't seem to "feel" the music, rather skates to the music instead. If Daisuke scored over 200 points with his National LP...boy, that would stirr a lot of controversy. But Daisuke won on the merit of his SP - brilliant performance, and not this LP alone (he was only ranked third).

@jettasian, don't understand why you have to be so defensive....you just jumped to conclusions.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
thank you so much for the Chan link! Living in the states and trying to follow my beloved Canadian Nationaols is so frustrating with everything being geo blocked ! Can anybody help me find videos of Reynolds and Ten's LP's? thanks!

I feel your pain! Living in the states with no internet access at home and only my crappy phone to read updates on here. Thanks everyone. Very much appreciated.
I did find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDFrSoGWPhQ

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Yeah I noticed Kevin attempted three quads...but to do it on a regular basis, it might be a bit too much for your body. It's great to see a program with 3 quads and two triple axels tho :p

Yeah. And he attempted 2 triple-triple combos plus the 3 quads? Yikes!
He's so cute. :rock: :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's Free Skate with CTV commentary.

I missed Kurt's insights.

eta Nam's interview after the Free Skate with Debbie Wilks on Skate Buzz, revealing that he didn't do the 3A because he had 10 stitches on his foot after a collision with Jeremy before leaving for the Nationals.

Teenager Nam Nguyen turns heads in his senior debut at Canadian championships

``He's one of my heroes,'' said his coach Joanne McLeod. ``This was his first year in senior against the big guys, he's dealing with an injury that he had to his calf, and he's been very sort of not letting people know about it. But he fought through, he didn't have 100 per cent full strength at the start of the week, so I'm extremely proud of him.''

Nguyen suffered a cut to his calf muscle that required 10 stitches when collided with Vancouver skater Jeremy Ten in practice just over a week ago.

``The pain was like terrible, but thankfully my parents, they were doctors before, and they gave me a couple of exercises to prevent the pain coming back,'' Nguyen said. ``And here I am, talking to you guys.''

etaa: The article and others recent write ups make it sound like Nam and Patrick just met for the first time but it ain't so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31_ep9Rkgc#t=220s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLxNbJqyoA#t=183s

As a champion himself, Nam has been mixing it up with the big boys and girls at the galas.

There is a photo of Patrick introducing Nam at 2009 4CC Gala, being all big brotherly, :) on Nam's web site.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
You are taking my words out of context. All I said was "Daisuke didn't get over 200 in his LP" with no mentions or implications of PChan's performance and interpretation being "crappy" (it was very good). But I see where "let's talk" is coming from, for a performance "worth" 200 points, some of the landings were not the cleanest. And also, I am not still not buying Patrick's interpretation of the music....he doesn't seem to "feel" the music, rather skates to the music instead. If Daisuke scored over 200 points with his National LP...boy, that would stirr a lot of controversy. But Daisuke won on the merit of his SP - brilliant performance, and not this LP alone (he was only ranked third).

@jettasian, don't understand why you have to be so defensive....you just jumped to conclusions.

Interpretation is subjective. I find Dai's interpretation is usually over the top, everything is dramatic and screaming for attention. You call that "artistic", I call that "eye-rolling". Chan's interpretation is just more subtle. Again, it's just personal taste. But to use that to un-justify Chan's score shows the desperation.

And I wasn't defensive nor jumping to conclusion. Chan getting 200 has nothing to do with other skaters. If the judges thought he deserved it, they gave it to him. Yet, some think that since Dai didn't get it, Chan shouldn't either. If he got it, it gotta be inflated blah blah blah the same old crap.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Another example concerns his remarks on his short program performance at the National. As I have argued in the Men Short Program thread now hidden from view for some fishy reasons,

?? both the thread and your posts are all visible ??

let's talk said:
LOL!!! Over 200 with a bunch of crappy landings and no Hispanic character in the performance/interpretation.

Well, this is the men's division, not ice dance. You won't see many men trying to distinguish a tango-like quad from a waltzy quad.

I don't yet see unbridled passion or a unique viewpoint in terms of expression, though, and there is still plenty to criticize about how the movements are designed to garner points rather than go to the music or form a complete whole.

I don't think we will ever see a Natalie Portman as the Black Swan type performance from Patrick. I think he is more like Michelle Kwan. Michelle just wanted the audience to be as tickled over her performances as she was. "You don't love me yet? Well then check this out!"

jettasian

Match Penalty
Well, this is the men's division, not ice dance. You won't see many men trying to distinguish a tango-like quad from a waltzy quad.

I'd love to see Dai doing a Black Swan quad ;)

Here's a nice article from G&M, apparently, Stojko's still not that impressed,

Technically (on jumping ability alone), Chan is doing what figure skaters did 12 years ago, Stojko says.

And someone should remind Stojko that all the triples he did, many figure skaters had done years before he was even born :rolleye:

Last edited: