Men - Free Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Didn't see you write this kind of words under Takahashi's three-fall LP at Japan Nationals. That says all.;)
Why should I have? Dai didn't get 300 and he lost to two other competitiors in FS, thanks to his mistakes. I said I was very disappointed.
One that deliberately tried to give a good humble image would have avoided saying "I'm the only one". The reporter would mention the fact anyway. Bringing it up himself could add little value and would run the risk of being perceived as arrogant.
Thanks.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Now I'm waiting for him to get 10s in all PCS categories at 4CC and/or Worlds!
Is it official that he will attend the 4CC? That might not be a good idea, I think. He beat Dai psychologically with his great performances at the last year's National. I think this year's performances could achieve the same effect on his competitors. He could gain little but lose a lot at 4CC. Don't go, Patrick.

Thank me for what? I don't get it. I don't think he is arrogant at all. Anyone who receives an unprecedented big score of course would jump up and down. So why fake it?

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
What it all boils down to is that he is a 21 yr old who is happy with the skate he put out and with his scores. My take on it after seeing both programs is that he deserved every point!!!!! Those with sour grapes to spread around can go eat them.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Gee, Skatinginbc, you are picking bones from an egg!:disapp:

He is the only one in 300 club. He might be the first one ever enter into 300 club on international stage in the near future. That's the fact. I think it is not inappropriate at all to say this himself.

Using fund-raising money to gamble? That didn't even enter into my mind. I'm sure and 100% trust that he didn't. So drop this line, will you?! Where does this come from?!:rolleye: Hmmm, oh, I know. One of the Chinese humble characters is "Harder on oneself but easy on others". But I think in this case, it's really unnecessary. He deserved to own a little pride and show it.

Is it official that he will attend the 4CC? That might not be a good idea, I think. He beat Dai psychologically with his great performances at the last year's National. I think this year's performances could achieve the same effect on his competitors. He could gain little but lose a lot at 4CC. Don't go, Patrick.

True but it's hard to believe that 4CC is going to be at his rink, but he's strategically considering not to attend. I think he will. It's good to have another opportunity to test his skate and try to skate clean, or get the falls out (if he needs;) )before the worlds.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
One that deliberately tried to give a good humble image would have avoided saying "I'm the only one". The reporter would mention the fact anyway. Bringing it up himself could add little value and would run the risk of being perceived as arrogant. And we can surely advise him of not talking about gambling, which provokes sinful connotations and a picture of using the raised funds for gambling. "Having a good time in Vegas" is all he needed to say.

What he said was fact. And not easy to enter the 300 club. So I don't see any problem for him to be so excited about entering the 300 club, that's a great achievement. I think only the haters will project whatever he said in the negative ways. They hate him because he beats out their fave skaters.

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Gee, Skatinginbc, you are picking bones from an egg!:disapp:
What I tried to portray is his tendency of saying things out of his emotions at the moment, and such habit may hurt him at times if ones choose to interpret them in a negative way. However, that's the way he talks, and after getting used to it, one may find it simple--no secret agenda, no mask, no thought-out philosophy, just simple, candid expression of his emotion at that moment.

jettasian

Match Penalty
However, that's the way he talks, and after getting used to it, one may find it simple--no secret agenda, no mask, no thought-out philosophy, just simple, candid expression of his emotion at that moment.

I will rather see the real feeling of what's in his mind, than the usual fake answers (so that not to offend anybody). Haters gonna hate, no matter what.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I will rather see the real feeling of what's in his mind, than the usual fake answers (so that not to offend anybody).
I agree. But it is an acquired taste, I mean you have to know the person for a while and realize that it is the way he talks. Since we are used to masks and put-on faces, a genuine face can be shocking at first sight, easily mistaken as something else.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I see skatinginbc is getting what Patrick is about, total honesty with stream of consciousness out of his mouth with no intention of stopping it. I've said that before about him, so there is no need to second guess or interpret anything further than what is said. However, much of what is reported is often a response to questions instead of something he brings up himself. This is one of the ways journalists manipulate an image, intentionally or unintentionally. Context, tone, expressions and gestures are lost. It's said over 90% of communication is non verbal so written words by third party don't fully or accurately convey the message. Patrick is such an open happy guy that I don't see anybody with real encounter with him have any trouble understanding him. In fact, he's so open that his rivals can learn so much from what he reveals. He is sincere about raising the standard of the sport and keeps no secrets of how he does it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What I tried to portray is his tendency of saying things out of his emotions at the moment, and such habit may hurt him at times if ones choose to interpret them in a negative way. However, that's the way he talks, and after getting used to it, one may find it simple--no secret agenda, no mask, no thought-out philosophy, just simple, candid expression of his emotion at that moment.

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

SGrand

Final Flight
SF, that's one of the things I admire most about him and I think that's such a great quality in any athlete; his willingness to share and broaden the sport and keep it on the map. I love when people are candid and in the moment, hate scripted stuff, sounds so artificial and gives you not even a hint of personality, so his take is refreshing.
Saw the interview of our new Jr. ladies champ and I felt bad for her, she sounded like a broken record about 'getting the job done' or something like that. At 13, I expect excitement and exuberance, although I realize not everyone is going to or should act the same, I just want some character, it's what endears us to the athletes and makes us root for them. Duhamel's reaction to winning pairs was so great to watch and even though I'm not a huge fan of theirs, it brought tears to my eyes.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I remember last year at National, he got...285 (?, don't remember), and I think his jokingly with a gesture at the kiss/cry area, like he wants 300, his coach was like...crazy...and guess what, he achieved that in just one year.

BTW, what's the reason Patrick wants to go to 4CC? Get more mileage for the long program?

And WHERE the heck is the Men Short thread? Disappeared?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
BTW, what's the reason Patrick wants to go to 4CC? Get more mileage for the long program?

He doesn't even need to go to compete at 4CC. It will be where he's training. No extra time, expenses and energy drain will be involved. It would be like another practice run for him, a dressed rehearsal for Worlds and an exercise to keep nimble. After all Worlds is almost two months away.

And how much is the first prize again? ;)

gottadance

On the Ice
Frustration!!!

TSN isn't letting me watch - keeps saying error (this happened to me with V/M too, but the next day I could watch it). But here's a Youtube link for Chan...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xR2q0zkEc&feature=youtu.be

So, I'm beyond impressed and my hat is off to him and may he celebrate with abandon. I am struck, though, that there are a few noticeable jump related points here and there. I can only explain my feeling in terms of another skater: I thought Yuna kim's olympic LP was so amazing, just amazing, yet, I fixated (for a few seconds) on her lack of toe point and leg turn out. It's like, when someone is just so utterly amazing you see "stuff" that in others you wouldn't even notice.

That said, I really appreciate IP's words above (about command of skate language and this program unlocking something in him)....beautiful and apt words. I can't wait to finish what I'm working on now to go back and rewatch this a lot!

thank you so much for the Chan link! Living in the states and trying to follow my beloved Canadian Nationaols is so frustrating with everything being geo blocked ! Can anybody help me find videos of Reynolds and Ten's LP's? thanks!

skatinginbc

Medalist
I've said that before about him, so there is no need to second guess or interpret anything further than what is said.
How can you demand that we trust every word you said? :biggrin:
Actually, my understanding of Patrick's way of speech is slightly different from yours. I feel sometimes we cannot interpret his words literally. For instance, "Several years ago I felt more Canadian, but I'm slowly feeling more Chinese". Does that mean he felt less Canadian now?
Another example concerns his remarks on his short program performance at the National. As I have argued in the Men Short Program thread now hidden from view for some fishy reasons, one would have imagined a labored performance and an inflated score based on his own comments.

To me, his comments are mostly streams of expressions to describe his emotions at the moment. "Those points are deserved because I worked hard" should not be interpreted logically and literally. It simply meant "I worked very hard and I'm very happy I received good points." And "I'm the only one though. I'm a loner" was simply an expression of his happiness like a lotto winner yelling, "I won. I'm the only winner." Did he intend to hurt anybody's feeling? No. Was he arrogant? No. He was just caught in his happiness.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
"I'm the only one" was said in reference to the "300 Club" - skaters who have achieved a score of 300.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
"300 Club" was coined by Rod Black and quickly posed in a question to Patrick. As a club usually has a number of members, so I think he simply finds it funny to be the sole member. And it's the truth. Then of course he was aware of the 300 mark being unofficial and subject to dismissals by naysayers but he decided he was going to have fun with it anyway. I say, "You go Patrick! Celebrate! Loads of year-end awards, the big two one birthday, a New Year, and now a Chinese New Year that comes with a prestigious Club 300 membership! :rock: This is one of the most memorable times in your life. Enjoy and savor!"

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
How can you demand that we trust every word you said? :biggrin:
Actually, my understanding of Patrick's way of speech is slightly different from yours. I feel sometimes we cannot interpret his words literally. For instance, "Several years ago I felt more Canadian, but I'm slowly feeling more Chinese". Does that mean he felt less Canadian now?
Another example concerns his remarks on his short program performance at the National. As I have argued in the Men Short Program thread now hidden from view for some fishy reasons, one would have imagined a labored performance and an inflated score based on his own comments.

To me, his comments are mostly streams of expressions to describe his emotions at the moment. "Those points are deserved because I worked hard" should not be interpreted logically and literally. It simply meant "I worked very hard and I'm very happy I received good points." And "I'm the only one though. I'm a loner" was simply an expression of his happiness like a lotto winner yelling, "I won. I'm the only winner." Did he intend to hurt anybody's feeling? No. Was he arrogant? No. He was just caught in his happiness.

What's the difference between your take and SF's take?:confused: