Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds Teams | Golden Skate

Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds Teams

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I've been spending the last couple of hours trying to find one. Noone seems to be bothering. :bang::bang::bang From various other sources, it seems that Orford & Williams & Poulin & Servant are going to Junior Worlds, that the ladies' World berth will be decided at Four Continents, and Osmond isn't going to 4CC, which makes me think she's probably going to Junior Worlds.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
From TSN

Chan and the 21-year-old Reynolds -- who landed two quads of his own in the free program -- will represent Canada's men's singles team at the world championships, the team for which was determined at the Canadian championships.

Olympic gold medallists Tessa Virtue of London, Ont., and Scott Moir of Ilderton, Ont., along with Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje of Waterloo, Ont., and Kharis Ralph of Toronto and Asher Hill of Pickering, Ont., are the three ice dance teams.

Meagan Duhamel of Lively, Ont., and Eric Radford of Balmertown, Ont., and Jessica Dube of St-Cyrille de Wendover, Que., and Sebastian Wolfe of Terrebonne, Que., are the two pairs teams.

Canada can send only one women's singles skater and because no one has had a particularly strong season in that event, Skate Canada will wait to name the representative for world championships after the ISU Four Continents championships. The three women competing at Four Continents in Colorado Springs, Colo., are the three medallists at the Canadian championships -- Amelie Lacoste of Delson, Que., Cynthia Phaneuf of Contrecoeur, Que., Alexandra Najarro of Richmond Hill, Ont.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I agree with the skate-off between Cynthia and Amelie at 4CC. I think that Cynthia still might be able to garner more spots for Canada than Amelie, and I felt both skated poorly at Nationals.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I agree with the skate-off between Cynthia and Amelie at 4CC. I think that Cynthia still might be able to garner more spots for Canada than Amelie, and I felt both skated poorly at Nationals.

What happens if Najarro beats both of them?:laugh:

BTW, thrilled with the decision to send P/I to 4CC. No reason for them to miss out on international exposure because of the lingering effects of her injury.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm still baffled by the fact that Cynthia is getting a second chance after having nothing but dismal results the past year (and being beaten by Amelie multiple times), but Moore-Towers and Moscovitch, who have skated well all season and only missed out on the world team because of a fluke bad performance, aren't being given the same chance. Am I missing something here? I know that it's about retaining spots for the 2013 worlds, but given here track record I doubt Cynthia would have a much better shot at making the top ten than Amelie would. And MT/M would certainly have a better chance at gaining us spots than Dube & Wolfe will, regardless of how well the new team is skating.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm still baffled by the fact that Cynthia is getting a second chance after having nothing but dismal results the past year (and being beaten by Amelie multiple times), but Moore-Towers and Moscovitch, who have skated well all season and only missed out on the world team because of a fluke bad performance, aren't being given the same chance. Am I missing something here? I know that it's about retaining spots for the 2013 worlds, but given here track record I doubt Cynthia would have a much better shot at making the top ten than Amelie would. And MT/M would certainly have a better chance at gaining us spots than Dube & Wolfe will, regardless of how well the new team is skating.

I totally agree with every word! The selection processes for Worlds that Canada and the USA use often leave me :confused:.

heyhey

On the Ice

Well it's interesting to see that Paul/Islam will be going to 4CCs and that Ralph/Hill will be going to worlds - which I think is great. For pairs, Skate Canada is totally throwing MT/M under the bus by not sending them to 4CCs. I mean last year's National champions get no consideration. Traditionally, national champions are automatically at Skate Canada. This year MT/M got Skate America instead. No biggie - but an outlier. Yes MT/M did not have a great skate at Nationals - but if you are going to play the Phaneuf/Lacoste card - with protocols - you can't turn a blind eye to the MT/M vs. D/W situation. My two cents..

lise

On the Ice
For the pairs, there is no urgency for to retain 2 spots as both top teams are capable of top 10 or even top 12 so they went with the results of Nationals. Dube and Wolfe have come a long way in a short time.

For the ladies, I don't blame Skate Canada for wanting a skate off. Amelie and Cynthia had bad internationals this year; neither skated great at Nationals but Cynthia did rally back in the long and landed most of her jumps.

They've done it before in 2001 when they couldn't decide between Annie or Nicole to go to Worlds with Jen.

i am looking forward to the results of 4CC to see which lady will be going.

I totally agree that MT/M should be going to 4CC and possibly worlds. Their program was brilliant and extremely difficult, unfortunately it wasn't their day at nationals, but they are way better than D/W who's program was much simpler but skated cleaner at nationals.

heyhey

On the Ice
For the pairs, there is no urgency for to retain 2 spots as both top teams are capable of top 10 or even top 12 so they went with the results of Nationals. Dube and Wolfe have come a long way in a short time.

For the ladies, I don't blame Skate Canada for wanting a skate off. Amelie and Cynthia had bad internationals this year; neither skated great at Nationals but Cynthia did rally back in the long and landed most of her jumps.

They've done it before in 2001 when they couldn't decide between Annie or Nicole to go to Worlds with Jen.

For pairs, MT/M just missed making the grand prix finals in Quebec City. I agree that D/W had great clean skates at Nationals and have come a long way- but their programs are much simpler than MT-M. Unless there is an injury with MT/M - really they should be going to 4CCs to finish off their year.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I think Skate Canada is doing the right thing.:yes:

tulosai

Record Breaker

There is no urgency to retain two spots but they are capable of getting 3- in fact, they JUST missed getting 3 last year. I agree with the decision to send D/W but would understand if they were considering something else and do think it's strange what's going on with the ladies in light of this. I also am surprised MT/M are not being given a 4CC spot.

heyhey

On the Ice
There is no urgency to retain two spots but they are capable of getting 3- in fact, they JUST missed getting 3 last year. I agree with the decision to send D/W but would understand if they were considering something else and do think it's strange what's going on with the ladies in light of this. I also am surprised MT/M are not being given a 4CC spot.

This is what I don't understand - if we even have a chance to get 3 places for pairs next year's Worlds in London, Ontario and right before the Olympic year - this is what Skate Canada should really think about. Whether Cynthia or Amelie skate at Worlds - there is very little chance that we get a second place in ladies next year....