Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds Teams

Tripping on the Podium
    I totally agree that MT/M should be going to 4CC and possibly worlds. Their program was brilliant and extremely difficult, unfortunately it wasn't their day at nationals, but they are way better than D/W who's program was much simpler but skated cleaner at nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    For the pairs, there is no urgency for to retain 2 spots as both top teams are capable of top 10 or even top 12 so they went with the results of Nationals. Dube and Wolfe have come a long way in a short time.

For the ladies, I don't blame Skate Canada for wanting a skate off. Amelie and Cynthia had bad internationals this year; neither skated great at Nationals but Cynthia did rally back in the long and landed most of her jumps.

They've done it before in 2001 when they couldn't decide between Annie or Nicole to go to Worlds with Jen.

i am looking forward to the results of 4CC to see which lady will be going.
    For pairs, MT/M just missed making the grand prix finals in Quebec City. I agree that D/W had great clean skates at Nationals and have come a long way- but their programs are much simpler than MT-M. Unless there is an injury with MT/M - really they should be going to 4CCs to finish off their year.

Custom Title
    For the ladies, I don't blame Skate Canada for wanting a skate off. Amelie and Cynthia had bad internationals this year; neither skated great at Nationals but Cynthia did rally back in the long and landed most of her jumps.
    I think Skate Canada is doing the right thing.

For the pairs, there is no urgency for to retain 2 spots as both top teams are capable of top 10 or even top 12 so they went with the results of Nationals. Dube and Wolfe have come a long way in a short time.

They've done it before in 2001 when they couldn't decide between Annie or Nicole to go to Worlds with Jen.

i am looking forward to the results of 4CC to see which lady will be going.

There is no urgency to retain two spots but they are capable of getting 3- in fact, they JUST missed getting 3 last year. I agree with the decision to send D/W but would understand if they were considering something else and do think it's strange what's going on with the ladies in light of this. I also am surprised MT/M are not being given a 4CC spot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    There is no urgency to retain two spots but they are capable of getting 3- in fact, they JUST missed getting 3 last year. I agree with the decision to send D/W but would understand if they were considering something else and do think it's strange what's going on with the ladies in light of this. I also am surprised MT/M are not being given a 4CC spot.
    This is what I don't understand - if we even have a chance to get 3 places for pairs next year's Worlds in London, Ontario and right before the Olympic year - this is what Skate Canada should really think about. Whether Cynthia or Amelie skate at Worlds - there is very little chance that we get a second place in ladies next year....

Custom Title
    When there is only one spot available, the decision can't be made lightly when there is not an obvious and outstanding choice. Besides the issue of gaining more entries for next year, I imagine a federation has to also consider the future and which skater has the most potential and can gain the most from the experience. Of the three Ladies medalists, obviously Katelyn is the potential future star but she's not eligible. Amelie seems to have maxed out while Cynthia maybe in a temporary setback this season with the best still to come or at least lost level regained, which would get higher international scores than Amelie. Amelie, OTOH, has outskated Cynthia this season and is the current national champion, the conventional representative to the World Championships.

I think it's prudent of SC to let Amelie and Cynthia demonstrate the fight in them close to the time of Worlds. The one with the winner mindset will win, just as Amelie demonstrated at the Nationals. If she maintains that then she will shut up everybody and continue on to her dream of representing Canada at Worlds.

It did cross my mind that maybe MT/M should get SOMETHING, but maybe SC was just totally disappointed in that meltdown they had and don't want to see that again on the international stage this year (especially since Lawrence and Swiegers did skate well and should get THEIR 4CC spot.. they would have to be bumped for MT/M unless D/R or D/W decided not to go).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It did cross my mind that maybe MT/M should get SOMETHING, but maybe SC was just totally disappointed in that meltdown they had and don't want to see that again on the international stage this year (especially since Lawrence and Swiegers did skate well and should get THEIR 4CC spot.. they would have to be bumped for MT/M unless D/R or D/W decided not to go).
    I also enjoy Lawrence/Sweigers and they should not be overlooked. I just think that Skate Canada is being short-sighted here in pairs. Yes SC may be disappointed in MT-M but the best thing for MT-M is a chance to redeem themselves - like I said they just missed getting into the GP finals. As a fan, I would love to see 3 pairs at Worlds next year since we seem to have a variety of teams and all of them are continuing to grow as competitors, including D/W. Again if MT-M aren't injured, what type of message are you sending to the international field - that you are "dumping" this team....

Custom Title
    My general thoughts on these selections. Note for JW , I don't talk as much about JW spots for 2013 ( which JW determines ) but JGP slots ( which JW also determines and IMO is so much more important )

Ladies

Given the international season thus far , I think the selections are just.

At first I thought just give it to Amelie as she has outskated Phaneuf so far this year but I also don't have any faith in giving it straight to somebody who seems to not have a lutz or flip.

Perhaps Najarro might perform better in an international competition when there is a team around her. No guarantees as of yet but she has never performed well in her JGPs or JW last year.

That said , I think the JW results are more important than the senior ones this year. Last seaon because we failed to get to the FS, we were cut down to only 4 JGP slots. This season was a lost season for our junior development. I think Osmond is the right choice because she is the most likely to put out 3 consistent performances. I fear Najarro would have a meltdown somewhere like the SP at the challenge or the JW short last year. We can't afford to have more years like this.

Charbonneau and Najarro age out next season. With the improvements in our top junior and novice ladies this year, we have a lot of good choices for JGP slots. We have the deepest selection of ladies to choose from in years.

I think that 14 JGP slots next year is impossible ( the fact that Osmond does not have a lutz is an issue for that ) but I think that 7 slots ( countries 4- 6) is entirely doable.

That said I hope we get 14 JGP slots because we have the resources to fill them up with decent skaters next season.

Men

I hope Chan pulls out of 4CC so that Balde goes instead. The coaching change has already been good for Balde and I expect huge improvements in him over the summer.

My expectations for JW is that Firus and Nam finish top 10 ( doable for both of them ) and that we secure 7 JGP slots ( top 3 countries for 14 slots unlikely ).

Dance

Hopefully at JW we somehow manage to get the 14 JGP slots next year. It is possible but will be tough.

Pairs

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch would likely have ensured 3 senior spots.

If Duhamel/Radford can get into the top 5 ( which is very likely at the moment ) , then Dube/Wolfe do have an outside chance of finishing high enough to get 3 world slots.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
    I also enjoy Lawrence/Sweigers and they should not be overlooked. I just think that Skate Canada is being short-sighted here in pairs. Yes SC may be disappointed in MT-M but the best thing for MT-M is a chance to redeem themselves - like I said they just missed getting into the GP finals. As a fan, I would love to see 3 pairs at Worlds next year since we seem to have a variety of teams and all of them are continuing to grow as competitors, including D/W. Again if MT-M aren't injured, what type of message are you sending to the international field - that you are "dumping" this team....
    I see what you mean about MT/M, for sure. Maybe Skate Canada has high hopes for Dube/Wolfe in the future though because of Dube/Davison's success (although it was limited) and the progress D/W made in such a short time. Maybe they think of D/W as potential world medalists.. more so than MT/M.. although of course that remains to be seen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post

Men

I hope Chan pulls out of 4CC so that Balde goes instead. The coaching change has already been good for Balde and I expect huge improvements in him over the summer.
    Why the heck would Chan or Skate Canada want to do that?! Just for Balde out of all the Men?

Custom Title
    I would be surprised if Chan does not go to 4CCs since it is in Colorado Springs and that's where he trains...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Why the heck would Chan or Skate Canada want to do that?! Just for Balde out of all the Men?
    Balde has never really lived up to expectations either as a senior or a junior so why would SC go out on a limb for him now. Jeremy Ten, OTOH, has exceeded expectations in the past (4CC, 2006) and could do so again, if he can get his 3A on track. He's only been back on the ice a short time and already he's got all of his triples back, and he is landing the axel in practice. I was happy to see Jeremy win the bronze and the trip to Colorado Springs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Balde has never really lived up to expectations either as a senior or a junior so why would SC go out on a limb for him now. Jeremy Ten, OTOH, has exceeded expectations in the past (4CC, 2006) and could do so again, if he can get his 3A on track. He's only been back on the ice a short time and already he's got all of his triples back, and he is landing the axel in practice. I was happy to see Jeremy win the bronze and the trip to Colorado Springs.
    Sure this year was disappointing but I would not say that Balde did not live up to expectations as a junior. He did make the JGPF one year and even beat Kevin Reynolds at JW that year. Unfortunately immediately after that the injuries came making him miss almost 2 years of training. The injuries prevented him from having the proper transition to seniors that he should have had,

I think that Balde can go places with the new coaching situation. Kudos to him for realising he needed a change after Skate Canada.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I see what you mean about MT/M, for sure. Maybe Skate Canada has high hopes for Dube/Wolfe in the future though because of Dube/Davison's success (although it was limited) and the progress D/W made in such a short time. Maybe they think of D/W as potential world medalists.. more so than MT/M.. although of course that remains to be seen.
    Well if Skate Canada is going to play hardball with MT/M based on nationals and last year's worlds, then it will be interesting to see if D/W do not do well at 4CCs. If Skate Canada is going to play hardball with MT/M that's fine. But if D/W don't perform well with simpler programs, then I don't want to hear excuses from Skate Canada or the commentators that this is a young team and building. Does this sound harsh - yes it is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast