Dorothy Hamill

And my favorite category ;)...
You-are-one-sexy-mama-Beauty
Katarina Witt (who else!)
Madison Hubbell
Madison Chock
Kaitlin Weaver
Oops, can't forget her: Shae-Lynn Bourne

That is a very interesting list you have there. Could you elaborate on what you mean by each type of beauty?

krenseby

Final Flight
:laugh:at some people's selections. Although it's a good reminder that being graceful and beautiful at skating has little to do with the conventional kind of beauty which can be achieved merely by standing there. Here are my picks, which excludes anyone with the slightest bit of superficial flaw, because I'm exact, and anyone under 18, because no one that young deserves to have their looks picked apart and besides, they could always grow up ugly (or vice versa).

Katarina Witt
Katia Gordeeva
Shizuka Arakawa
Yuna Kim
Alissa Czisny (the only skater on here without an Olympic gold medal, but I'm American so I'm going to notice her more)

That's it! If a skater's not on this list, then U G L Y you ain't got no alibi (or isn't high profile enough for me to remember your mug).

The thing about Katarina Witt is that she has managed to transcend the world of figure skating and becoming a general celebrity known to some extent even among those who don't give a hoot about figure skating!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Finally took a look at this thread, and will add my own list: :)

Katia Gordeeva (classic beauty; her look brings to mind "Romeo & Juliet)
Maia Usova (ditto)
Gretchen Donlan (ditto, looks like Katia's twin, right down to body build except Gretchen's face is just a tad bit wider imho)

Sasha Cohen (porcelain doll)
Meryl Davis (ditto; seeing her live at SA, front row, exquisite china doll)
Maia Shibutani (ditto, her extraordinary kind smile makes her a "warm" china doll imho)
Nina Jiang (porcelain doll)

Nancy Kerrigan (breathtaking in person)
Silvia Fontana (face only, not body)
Katarina Witt (ditto)

Nicole Bobek (blonde bombshell/showgirl; more charisma than any blonde that has ever skated)
Kiira Korpi (blonde bombshell, but in the vein of Grace Kelly)
Yuna Kim (brunette bombshell)

From there come the plethora of "pretty" skaters, which are a dime a dozen in figure skating, a glamours sport with tons & tons of pretty faces, too many to name, therefore I won't, lol, as they have already been named. ;) :biggrin:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Haha cool thread. Here's my list.

Exotic Beauty:
Miki Ando
Meryl Davis
Min-Jeong Kwak
Nathalie Pechelat (especially with her Egyptian makeup/costume!)
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Elene Gedevanishvilli

Athletic Beauty:
Ashley Wagner
Joannie Rochette
Sara Meier
Polina Korobeynikova

Classic/Innocent Beauty:
Alissa Czisny
Mao Asada
Christina Gao
Maia Shibutani
Adelina Sotnikova

Stunning/just plain HOT:
Kiira Korpi
Elena Ilinykh
Tanith Belbin
Yuna Kim

I will say though that Ashley and Yuna could be on like any of these lists though, really. They are beautiful and very versatile in their appearence.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For me, in terms of pure beauty, Carolina Kostner wins. She looks like a high end fashion model: beautiful face, long limbs, slender build and a very regal quality. Yuna is right up there with her. Most of the others have athletic frames and look like fit women who spend hours doing cardio at the gym.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That is a very interesting list you have there. Could you elaborate on what you mean by each type of beauty?

I'll do my best.

Exotic beauty - I admit that this is my favorite kind of ice beauty. By exotic beauty, I mean a person who exudes idividuality, unusual and/or strong feature. Although these women are not beauty in classical sense, they are striking, dramatic, and you don't forget their faces once you see them. Among this group, I consider Anjelika Krylova to have exploited her assets to her best advantage - a major reason why I wanted Vanessa Crone to go train with Krylova. I figured Krylova would have understood Vanessa's strong feature and her athleticism more than any other coaches.

Among this group of ice princesses (more appropriate to call them ice queens ;)), Meryl Davis is the contemporary skaters who understand her assets the best IMHO.

Classical Beauty
Think about how people refer Kiira Corpi to Grace Kelly look-alike. This group of ice princesses are with well-proportioned, and symmetrical face. Peggy Fleming, with her regal costume and beautiful ice coverage at her 1968 Olympic FD performance to me is a gold standard of clasically beautiful ice princess standard. I admit that though I admire those beautiful ice princesses, I find classical beauty a bit boring. That's just my own bias.

Vivacious Beauty
These woman are close to classical beauty, but they are not porcelain dolls. They are at their best when they let out their high-spirit and lively energy. Good example is Belbin/Agosto 2007 OD: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8CB86C434FB4F287E5EA8CB86C4&first=0&FORM=LKVR.

No one does an energetic cow girl better than Tanith. The fact that she is a Canadian is merely incidental. ;);
Honorable mentions: Capellini/Lanote Latin SD this year - C/L are one of the few who actually pull-off Latin feel on ice; I suspect that it has something to do with her vivacious nature;
Kanako Murakami's SD during the 2010-2011 season: Again, I can think about only Kanako and Akiko Suzuki to be able to project that much high spirit among current Japanese ladies.

Girl-next-door-beauty:
I would say that they are more "cute" than "bautiful." Maia Shibutani, in particular, is a good example. I have hard time not smiling when I watch her skate. Those are the ice princesses you would like to dance with (or go to have ice cream at ice cream parlor, enjoy munching pop corns and slurping soda at a movie theater :))

You-are-one-sexy-mama-Beauty
Ah, bombshells! Love them.:biggrin:

Don't you think Madison Hubbell looks like Marilyn Monroe? Now that Madi is not skating with her brother Keiffer, I would love to see Madi and Zach skate to Marilyn themed FD the next season. Camerlengo/Krylova dance school is just flushy enough to pull-off a great Monroe program for Madi. I just hope that Zach Donohue is man enough to be Madi's match. :laugh:

By the way, an honorable mention - Porcelain skin Beauty
Sasha Cohen
Alex Shibutani

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

For me one skater who fit the thread title most is still, Katia Gordeeva.

Among the ones not already mentioned:
Laura Lepisto has beautiful skating with a face to match.
Ota Yukina had fluid skating with pretty lines.

CARA, I love your explanations of your categories, especially the "exotic" one. Your remark about some people having a face you just can't forget once you see it captures the quality very well. In my case, I want to study such a face and draw it. The skater who most typifies that look for me is Meryl Davis, who's in that classification on your list. I agree that Krylova and Ando both belong in that section on your list.

Now that I see your description, that's the category to which I'd add one of my favorites, Marina Klimova. It isn't just her abundant mahogany hair. It's the strong profile and the mouth that seems always to form a mysterious half-smile. She reminds me of both Princess Diana and Uma Thurman.

Silverlake, I like your "athletic beauty" category. It's a bit different from a girl next door: stronger, more commanding, but still often very radiant, and Ashley and Joannie are wonderful exemplars of it. Another skater whom I'd group with them is ice dancer Albena Denkova, one of my favorites of all time. She looks like someone who could not only pilot a plane but probably repair it as well, and yet she can skate to baroque French music. In another sport, I think soccer star Mia Hamm would fit in this category.

Like many of you, I believe that Gordeyeva is in a class by herself. I wouldn't even put Katarina Witt in with her. Not because she's the most beautiful of all--I think at this level there isn't a single "best"--certainly not one we could all agree on!--but because she has such depth behind her beauty. The thing is, by this time, most of us can't see these ladies as just faces. We've known many of them for quite a while, and often our affection for them (if we're fans) colors our evaluation of them. And of course our enjoyment of their skating adds to our appreciation of their beauty. There's nothing wrong with that, of course! Beauty should come from both inside and outside, in any case.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm surprised that such a trite topic has garnered so much discussion.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Trite? Beauty is power my friend and a big part of "the total package" whether you admit it or not. It gets scored, though no judge will admit to it. It's a lite not trite topic.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
CARA, I love your explanations of your categories, especially the "exotic" one. Your remark about some people having a face you just can't forget once you see it captures the quality very well. In my case, I want to study such a face and draw it. The skater who most typifies that look for me is Meryl Davis, who's in that classification on your list. I agree that Krylova and Ando both belong in that section on your list.

Thank you. :)

Haha cool thread. Here's my list.

Athletic Beauty:
Ashley Wagner
Joannie Rochette
Sara Meier
Polina Korobeynikova
Silverlake, I like your "athletic beauty" category. It's a bit different from a girl next door: stronger, more commanding, but still often very radiant, and Ashley and Joannie are wonderful exemplars of it. Another skater whom I'd group with them is ice dancer Albena Denkova, one of my favorites of all time. She looks like someone who could not only pilot a plane but probably repair it as well, and yet she can skate to baroque French music. In another sport, I think soccer star Mia Hamm would fit in this category.

I agree that Albena Denkova should be in this category. Love her. ;)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Jenny Kirk? And Michelle isn't mentioned nearly enough on this thread.

R.D.

Record Breaker
What about Jenny Kirk?

Although she looks much better in recent shots, I remember her being on the thin side during her skating career. A bit too thin perhaps...

And just what is "athletic beauty"? If it's what I think it is, not even sure I'd have any figure skaters on that list...

Last edited: