Thread: Junior Men's Short Program

Custom Title

Junior Men's Short Program

This event begins at 10:30pm EST and features two-time novice champion Nathan Chen. I'll be doing a live play by play at http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2012/...t-program.html

Custom Title
    Dolensky opened the event with a 63.20, the highest short program so far by a Junior Man at a U.S. event.

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Great! Thanks for sharing.

I remember Nathan Chen winning the Novice title back in 2009, if I'm not mistaken.
    And now he's a Junior. Before you know it he'll be competing with the big guns in Seniors.
    Its exciting to see him develop before our eyes.

Anyways, anyone else watching?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I like this Phillip Warren! Many fine qualities and such a nice smile. He has stretch, line, strength, good spin positions, and really nice jumps when they're there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    Great! Thanks for sharing.

I remember Nathan Chen winning the Novice title back in 2009, if I'm not mistaken.
    And now he's a Junior. Before you know it he'll be competing with the big guns in Seniors.
    Its exciting to see him develop before our eyes.

Anyways, anyone else watching?
    I believe he won it in 2010 and 2011. It's crazy to think that (barring any meltdowns here) he'll be making his JGP debut this fall and won't be able to compete at the senior level for two more seasons!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I like this Phillip Warren! Many fine qualities and such a nice smile. He has stretch, line, strength, good spin positions, and really nice jumps when they're there.
    Agreed! Such a shame about the lutz!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Nathan Chen in second? He skates so noviceish - he's childlike and the jumps are tiny. That said, his speed is amazing and he's quite the spinner, but personally I don't see that he's better than Phillip Warren. (I'm in and out of this comp, so I can't compare him to all who have skated.)

This Troy Tomasello is another one I like. Not an entirely successful skate but he seems to have very good basics and a lot of panache.

Thank you for the excellent commentary, Ice Musings!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 01-23-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Custom Title
    Nathan Chen in second? He skates so noviceish - he's childlike and the jumps are tiny. That said, his speed is amazing and he's quite the spinner, but personally I don't see that he's better than Phillip Warren. (I'm in and out of this comp, so I can't compare him to all who have skated.)

This Troy Tomasello is another one I like. Not an entirely successful skate but he seems to have very good basics and a lot of panache.

Thank you for the excellent commentary, Ice Musings!
    Phillip only managed a double lutz and had -2's and -3's on GOE. Had he done a 3lutz, I think he would be right up there. Nathan is still very young but he has been aware of how to gain points for a very long time. I actually remember seeing him in a local show right after the Olympics when he was about 4 years old. He was a stand out even then.

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icemusings View Post
    I believe he won it in 2010 and 2011. It's crazy to think that (barring any meltdowns here) he'll be making his JGP debut this fall and won't be able to compete at the senior level for two more seasons!
    Oh ok. My bad. I thought it was in 09 because I remember seeing the exhibition when he skated at Nats??? and for some reason I remember Evan L. winning something at the same event. It might have been Worlds. I'm so confused now. Hehe. Don't mind me. Not important anyways.

Point is he's growing before our eyes and we'll see how he turns out. Hopefully he's able to realize his potential. He's off to a good start.

Of course he's child-like - he is a child! Chen's only TWELVE. For 12, he fills out the ice and has good skating skills and power. He lost to Delensky on the second mark...

Custom Title
    Actually Nathan Chen won't be 13 until May 5. Can we expect him to grow before our eyes the way as Michelle Kwan did?
    Last edited by Kelly; 01-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.

^^^^
    Yep, that's why I said "he's only 12" because 12 < 13.