Junior Men's Short Program | Golden Skate

Junior Men's Short Program

icemusings

On the Ice
Dolensky opened the event with a 63.20, the highest short program so far by a Junior Man at a U.S. event.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Great! Thanks for sharing.

I remember Nathan Chen winning the Novice title back in 2009, if I'm not mistaken.
And now he's a Junior. Before you know it he'll be competing with the big guns in Seniors.
Its exciting to see him develop before our eyes.

Anyways, anyone else watching?

I like this Phillip Warren! Many fine qualities and such a nice smile. He has stretch, line, strength, good spin positions, and really nice jumps when they're there.

icemusings

On the Ice
Great! Thanks for sharing.

I remember Nathan Chen winning the Novice title back in 2009, if I'm not mistaken.
And now he's a Junior. Before you know it he'll be competing with the big guns in Seniors.
Its exciting to see him develop before our eyes.

Anyways, anyone else watching?

I believe he won it in 2010 and 2011. It's crazy to think that (barring any meltdowns here) he'll be making his JGP debut this fall and won't be able to compete at the senior level for two more seasons!

Nathan Chen in second? He skates so noviceish - he's childlike and the jumps are tiny. That said, his speed is amazing and he's quite the spinner, but personally I don't see that he's better than Phillip Warren. (I'm in and out of this comp, so I can't compare him to all who have skated.)

This Troy Tomasello is another one I like. Not an entirely successful skate but he seems to have very good basics and a lot of panache.

Thank you for the excellent commentary, Ice Musings!

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Nathan Chen in second? He skates so noviceish - he's childlike and the jumps are tiny. That said, his speed is amazing and he's quite the spinner, but personally I don't see that he's better than Phillip Warren. (I'm in and out of this comp, so I can't compare him to all who have skated.)

This Troy Tomasello is another one I like. Not an entirely successful skate but he seems to have very good basics and a lot of panache.

Thank you for the excellent commentary, Ice Musings!

Phillip only managed a double lutz and had -2's and -3's on GOE. Had he done a 3lutz, I think he would be right up there. Nathan is still very young but he has been aware of how to gain points for a very long time. I actually remember seeing him in a local show right after the Olympics when he was about 4 years old. He was a stand out even then.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I believe he won it in 2010 and 2011. It's crazy to think that (barring any meltdowns here) he'll be making his JGP debut this fall and won't be able to compete at the senior level for two more seasons!

Oh ok. My bad. I thought it was in 09 because I remember seeing the exhibition when he skated at Nats??? and for some reason I remember Evan L. winning something at the same event. It might have been Worlds. I'm so confused now. Hehe. Don't mind me. Not important anyways.

Point is he's growing before our eyes and we'll see how he turns out. Hopefully he's able to realize his potential. He's off to a good start.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Of course he's child-like - he is a child! Chen's only TWELVE. For 12, he fills out the ice and has good skating skills and power. He lost to Delensky on the second mark...

Kelly

On the Ice
Actually Nathan Chen won't be 13 until May 5. Can we expect him to grow before our eyes the way as Michelle Kwan did?

Last edited: