Savchenko and Szolkowy withdraw from Euros | Golden Skate

Savchenko and Szolkowy withdraw from Euros

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU Media Advisory (1/25/2012)

Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (GER) have withdrawn from the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012 before the Pairs Short Program, citing injury. The couple decided to withdraw following the morning practice.

Savchenko had suffered a injury to her left thigh in a fall on a throw jump in practice in Chemnitz, Germany on Thursday, January 12.

"Aliona aggravated her injury when doing a pair spin in training. She is in pain and unable to perform all elements," said German team doctor Stefan Pfrengle. "We will continue intense physiotherapy and I expect her to resume training in five to seven days," he added.

"It was a very difficult decision for us. We came to the Eurpoean Championships and now we are unable to compete. The risk is too high to aggravate the injury further," coach Ingo Steuer said.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear this news. Wishing Aliona a speedy recovery.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sad news indeed. but health comes first :cry:
now pairs will be less interesting with little competition

get well soon Aliona and also Mr. Smirnov

emma

Record Breaker
That's really too bad. I love this team and really love, love their programs this year. I really hope she recovers quickly and fully. They'll be missed at Euro's but I really hope they can come back strong for Worlds!

snejina

Rinkside
What a pity! They have most innovative and mesmerizing routine of the season! Wish them the GOLD for the Worlds!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Very sorry to hear the news, but I hope this means S/S will be in top fighting shape for Worlds!

Also--I wonder, was Aliona's injury the result of practising the throw 3A?