Takahashi's SP vs. Chan's | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Takahashi's SP vs. Chan's

Jeremy Abbott actually shares the sentiments most of us have regarding Chan:

Asked what Chan -- who triumphed at the 2011 World Championships by more than 22 points, and handily won the recent Grand Prix Final despite two falls -- does to keep the judges in such thrall, Abbott paused.

"I have no idea," he said. "I admire the quality with which he skates; the control and his edging and his speed are phenomenal. I think in terms of skating skills, he's definitely one of the top in the world. But I definitely think he has things that are lacking.

"They break out the [program] components into five pieces, but they all kind of judge them without separating them out, so maybe Patrick has a 10 in skating skills and lower in interpretation, but they all stay in the same range.

Source: IN: Rink Notes: Abbott mulls Chan's thrall over judges

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Awww, Jeremy is more generous than the judges to give Chan a 10 in Skating Skills. :)

I already stated how I liked his new attitude in the Jeremy thread, believing in himself and gunning for Patrick. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Skaters should give up on Chan. He is a lock to win every event until he retires. Skaters should focus on the silver and bronze medals and what they can do to give themselves the best chance at those.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Mathman, the only good thing said about falls was from Let's Talk, supported by skatinginbc: Dai always leaves the perfect impression, i.e. even with falls he can deliver the program.
Another classic case of propaganda: Twisting the words of the opponents on purpose. Can you quote directly from my post that I agreed that Dai always leaves the perfect impression even with falls? My post was responding to your post where you were tempting to show how their falls differ and whose program is better delivered with falls.

That's exactly what he does in every program better than any one in the world.
Then show us the footage in every program where he did an extended field move better than any one in the world. I want proof, concrete proof, not propaganda.

skatinginbc

Medalist
:laugh: ...Really hope you weren't completely serious with that post and actually took my comment so literally. But yeah... Takahashi has a noticeably longer recovery time = more distracting. That simple. I still enjoy his skating. :)
Just to clarify, if we define recovery from a fall as the moment when a skater gets up off the ground, then Yes, Takahashi took longer. But if we define recovery as the moment when a skater actually resumes the program, then Chan took longer. The conclusion is based on all their fall footage in GPF series as well as in Nationals.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott actually shares the sentiments most of us have regarding Chan:

Source: IN: Rink Notes: Abbott mulls Chan's thrall over judges

Confidence and arrogance are only a thin paper apart. I don't mind skaters talk like this if they could deliver the goods on ice.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Skaters should give up on Chan. He is a lock to win every event until he retires. Skaters should focus on the silver and bronze medals and what they can do to give themselves the best chance at those.

That's the greatest thing you have said ever since you have posted on this broad. It's great you are learning! Good job!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Math, that spread eagle of Boitano's wasn't good enough for skatinginbc's requirement because that was a two-foot move and uncreative.;)

Besides, Paul Wylie's was better... and Johnathan Cassar's is the bestest! :love:

chloepoco

Medalist
Confidence and arrogence are only a thin paper apart. I don't mind skaters talk like this if they could deliver the goods on ice.

I see no arrogance in what Jeremy said.

And speaking of spread eagles, I just love Kozuka's in his EX program this year!

Last edited:
But this is not figure dancing, or dancing skating. It's a sport, right? As I said it before, stick to Star on Ice if they want "dance, performance, over the top darmatic pull your heart out emotions"

If I may make a suggestion, I don't think that the objective of skating should be to weed out "unsuitable" fans. Isn't the sport starved enough for fans as it is? If someone comes along and loves skating for "dance, performance, over-the-top dramatic pull-your-heart-out emotions," we should all say, "Welcome, friend! Come in and sit down over here." I'm sure a lot of Chan fans (of whom I am one) love his skating for its grace and performance aspects, and some of them have never analyzed a single score.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Confidence and arrogance are only a thin paper apart. I don't mind skaters talk like this if they could deliver the goods on ice.

As it has been said, it's not arrogance if it's true, or if you can back it up. As I'm not judging but am more interested in analyzing the mindsets of winners and non winners, arrogance is fine with me but not sour grape. I see no sour grape in Jeremy's statement even as he criticizes Patrick's marks, never from Plushenko, but plenty from Johnny Weir and even Verner though I can't say if it's his normal mindset. I disagree 100% with Patongfan's advice to skaters to give up on gold, whether it's sarcastic or realistic. You have to aim high to reach high. Those aiming to knock off Patrick may have a chance, by skills or luck, while those who settle for less may get even less than what they settle for.

Last edited:
Probably IN. That's about the closest to artistry in PCS.

I think so, too. Jeremy puts a lot of thought and effort into matching movement with music, as well as into weaving elements and transitional moves into a coherent artistic vision.

In contrast, Patrick seems more happy-go-lucky in throwing stuff out there, relying on his technique to pull it off.

I don't necessarily agree with Jeremy. Chan's Take Five is lighter fare. But if we take the program for what it is and do not try to impose upon it some sort of preconception about what constitutes "art," it is a compact little gem.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think so, too. Jeremy puts a lot of thought and effort into matching movement with music, as well as into weaving elements and transitional moves into a coherent artistic vision.

In contrast, Patrick seems more happy-go-lucky in throwing stuff out there, relying on his technique to pull it off.

I don't necessarily agree with Jeremy. Chan's Take Five is lighter fare. But if we take the program for what it is and do not try to impose upon it some sort of preconception about what constitutes "art," it is a compact little gem.

Well, Take Five and some of his show programs are happy-go-lucky. But his two recent LPs are very different in nature and I see him performing and interpreting accordingly.

Jeremy is one of the best performers on skates, and his PCS reflects that. As I said before, it's the high PCS Men who are the most memorable and bringing fans to the sport. As for competitions, PCS involves low risks, thus more reliable and consistent, so if someone with bankable PCS also has the TES to match or almost match, he is a real contender for the biggest podiums. In Jeremy's case, what he needs is jump consistency. Add a successful quad and sky is the limit.

Actually, I'd say exactly the same thing about Daisuke.

Well, Take Five and some of his show programs are happy-go-lucky. But his two recent LPs are very different in nature and I see him performing and interpreting accordingly.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To me, this year's free skate shows an artistic depth and maturity that the Phantom program did not quite measure up to. (Plus -- not to be shallow, but -- this year's LP costume is perfect for Patrick. :) )

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^I don't see him do happy-go-lucky in either POTO or Aranjuez.

eta. I've read that his current LP costume makes some fans very happy. ;)

emma

Record Breaker
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To me, this year's free skate shows an artistic depth and maturity that the Phantom program did not quite measure up to. (Plus -- not to be shallow, but -- this year's LP costume is perfect for Patrick. :) )

To me...the different strokes part...is one of the most interesting things about skating; how we can see the same thing and have such different feelings and reactions.

I totally agree with MM and others about Chan's LP this year; and his Phantom last year was amazing especially at Nationals.

About the costume; I half way agree. I love the shirt; the pants is the half part. Love the cut and the black sparkles; wouldn't mind a red waistband. Hate, and I mean hate with depth, the red slash things down the legs. I want to see his gorgeous line and edges - whole leg to the toe, without those bandage like red slashes. Maybe if it was just a thin red cord or thin vertical stripe; but those strips are icky to me. That said, love his skating and loves these programs. I love Dai's and Abbot's too and would be hard pressed to rank in which order, other than to say there is just something about Chan's Short that l like better than Abbot's even though I appreciate that "character skating" that he is doing and just how hard it is.