Senior Ladies Short Jan 26 7:30 PM | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Short Jan 26 7:30 PM

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think we would have to see how the LP plays out. Alyssa is right there, and I can't see them leaving her off the team if she skates well. I would really hate for them the put a junior skater on the World team, just because I feel skating in seniors, against our country's best, would be more pressure on Gracie and I'd like to see how she would skate when competing directly against Alyssa, Agnes and Mirai. I personally wouldn't put her on the world team.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For fun here's what the top five did in jumps (combo/single jump) + base value

1.) Agnes 3T-3T, 3Z, BV 29.70
2.) Alissa 3Z-2T, 3L, BV 26.20 (lower BV due to singled axel)
3.) Ashley 3F-2T, 3L, BV 27.50
4.) Caroline 3L+3L<, 3F BV 28.60 (would have had higher BV if not for UR)
5.) Mirai 3Z(e)+2T, 3L, BV 28.40

Compare with top five in junior ladies
1. Gracie 3F-3T, 3Z, BV 30.30
2. Hannah 3F-2T, 3Z(e), BV 29.00
3.) Ashley Cain 3L-2L, 3Z, BV 27.50
4.) Polina 3F(e)-3T, 3Z BV 30.10
5.) Barbie Long 3F (e)-2T, 3Z, BV 28.40

So all things considered, the top five in juniors, at least by base value could be quite competitive to the seniors.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think we would have to see how the LP plays out. Alyssa is right there, and I can't see them leaving her off the team if she skates well. I would really hate for them the put a junior skater on the World team, just because I feel skating in seniors, against our country's best, would be more pressure on Gracie and I'd like to see how she would skate when competing directly against Alyssa, Agnes and Mirai. I personally wouldn't put her on the world team.

ITA. Going to 4CCs, maybe -- but not Worlds. Let her go to Jr. Worlds and Senior GPs next season for the international exposure she needs, then debut at senior Nats next year. If they send GG to Worlds this year prematurely, it could backfire in a big way.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
One final note before I retire for the night. :)

I've been thinking about how the USFSA needs some hard hitters, female skaters that can go head-to-head with the Russian phenoms of the likes of Adelina Sotnikova & Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, and I'm thinking Gracie Gold is almost a given (knock on wood, don't want to jinx her) and maybe just maybe Agnes Zawadski, whom I was over the moon about last year at Nationals (comparing her to Tonya Harding, etc. etc. etc.). (8^D But as we've seen Agnes did not pan out during the GP, and this is what gives me pause for thought. Then again neither did Adelina, but I wouldn't compare Agnes to Adelina, Agnes still has a long way to go. Still, my point is that right now the only two big jumpers I see the USA have are these two ~ Gracie & Agnes ~ and Sochi 2014 is only two years off. What will they do? :think: :scratch: :frown:

Hard one to call. The Russian phenoms are not eligible for Worlds this year, but Gracie is, Gracie is. (;^) And we all know the more experience one has at Worlds the better the chance one has to do well. This is to Gracie's advantage. Because next year all bets are off with the Russians coming! :eek: Just some food for thought...

I dont think its good if the us skating ed will rush gold to senior worlds this season
she still has some polishing to do, and juniors will be good for Gracie

Im surprised at Agnes though leading the short, but I still think its Alissa's to lose
good to see Caroline in a fighting mood.

pista04

On the Ice
As much as I would love to see us send a young phenom to show American strength and give us a story to root for, a la Shawn Johnson in Gymnastics, I think it would be a mistake to send Gold to Sr Worlds. Jr Worlds is perfect: gives her strong international experience, and gives her a platform to make her mark and not feel the pressure of an entire nation.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope mskater93 (who skates at the same rink as GG) can give some insight. But as I said earlier, I really really doubt that even if USFSA asks Gracie to go to Worlds — even 4CC — that her team will say no. There is a reason they kept her in juniors at the Nationals level. I doubt the will suddenly got all crazy and rush her up to seniors.

Besides she is probably better of competing against the likes of Elizaveta, Adelina and Julia (and Risa, Zijun) in junior worlds since she will face them in 2014 in Sochi (if she goes, that is; but I think she has a good chance!). It's hard to say whether any of the (current) senior girls would be competitive by 2014 once everyone is age eligible.

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Yeah. I think its weird that the powers that be are even considering the possibility of sending Gracie to Worlds.
It has always been that the top 2/3(in recent years) at Senior Nationals go to Senior Worlds. AFAIK.
I mean, people will moan and complain that the best possible team is not whoever places at the top and that they should consider other competitions to decide the team, like Japan does. But the USFSA hasn't changed the rules. So why should they change them in this case?
Is there precedent for a situation like this? Has something similar happened in the past?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
but on second thought, maybe its not such a bad idea send in to duke in for the second spot at worlds at the 4CC with Gold also to compete
this will give her international exposure and then regardless of who finishes the top ranked us skater at 4CC, Gold will still go to Jr. Worlds
at the same time not to feel the seniors of being " robbed " of the spot at Worlds by a Jr.

bekalc

Record Breaker
One final note before I retire for the night. :)

I've been thinking about how the USFSA needs some hard hitters, female skaters that can go head-to-head with the Russian phenoms of the likes of Adelina Sotnikova & Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, and I'm thinking Gracie Gold is almost a given (knock on wood, don't want to jinx her) and maybe just maybe Agnes Zawadski, whom I was over the moon about last year at Nationals (comparing her to Tonya Harding, etc. etc. etc.). (8^D But as we've seen Agnes did not pan out during the GP, and this is what gives me pause for thought. Then again neither did Adelina, but I wouldn't compare Agnes to Adelina, Agnes still has a long way to go. Still, my point is that right now the only two big jumpers I see the USA have are these two ~ Gracie & Agnes ~ and Sochi 2014 is only two years off. What will they do? :think: :scratch: :frown:

Hard one to call. The Russian phenoms are not eligible for Worlds this year, but Gracie is, Gracie is. (;^) And we all know the more experience one has at Worlds the better the chance one has to do well. This is to Gracie's advantage. Because next year all bets are off with the Russians coming! :eek: Just some food for thought...

Actually one of the Russian phenoms will be at worlds Polina K. She hasn't been as talked about as much as Julia, Elizaveta, Adelina; but its partly because until this year she didn't have some of the harder jumps. Now Polina has all five triples, with no edge issues. AND a triple/flip triple toe. She landed 7 triples in qualification; and the jumps are of very nice quality. Did I mention took that Polina has a very balletic skating style.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, let's point out the obvious (at least as far as I know): Gracie has never skated a senior LP. I have no idea (again mskater93 can probably tell us) if she even has a senior-level LP lying around or has been practicing them.

Those 30 seconds make a HUGE difference. Remember with Christina Gao in 2010. She did JGP during the fall, then did seniors at Nationals. She ran out of gas at the end with those silly errors during the LP after a fantastic start with a 3-3 and several triples.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Wait, what's this about Rachael & politics?

I'd like to know,too, but apparentally(sp?) it's personal and Nadine has said the final word on the subject.
I thought maybe she meant about the USFSA favoring her the past couple of years or something like that, but now I'm not sure what she's talking about.

And she doesn't want to talk about it publicly so use PM if you must know. Right, Nadine? Hehe

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I guess we will see about Gracie G. But personally I don't think it would be right to send her and in the end, not very likely(for all the reasons mentioned above) I think so anyways, but what do I know?
And I'm talking about Worlds. 4CC is a different story. Not so controversial to send her there, I think.

brightphoton

Medalist
Even if Rachael's politic views are very silly, it's be expected. She's an 18 year old college freshman, they are notorious for doing silly things.

icebeauty

On the Ice
i agree. having Gracie go to 4CC gives her a chance to go to a big international competition. It'll give her a chance to do a senior LP (if she has one), and it give her exposure to the international crowd as well as gives her a chance to learn about the media hub-bub at these events...keeping in mind this year 4CC is in CS, which takes the travel problem out of the equation
as for worlds, i think its was NO...yes Gracie has the technical content/consistency that may make her seem more reliable, but it's not like she alone can get use 3 spots back. She hasn't had a lot of international experience and having her go to the BIGGEST figure skating competition of the year would just be a poor choice on USFSA's. (While I hope reputation is NOT a factor with scoring, we all know it is when it comes to PCS and Gracie would get slammed on those at Worlds if we're being completely honest)

i know i don't post often, but i pretty much read all the forums and have thoughts on most of the things that get discussed here, I just don't always have the time to spend to discuss it all

used2sk8

Rinkside
Lots of really nice programs! Kudos to Caroline for coming back. Ashley and Agnes brought it! Kudos to Vanessa for the only level 4 footwork! The long program will tell the tale. The best trained skaters will prevail.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Just saw results, what happened to mirai?
Glad for Ashley , she has killer programs this season!!! :D

tampro1

Rinkside
No I don't think so. Sarah and Drew would have specified Jr. Worlds if that's the case. (And also that's a given; so I doubt that Sarah and Drew would tweet the obvious).

That would truly be surprising if they are considering Gold for Worlds or 4CC. Has American skating really dropped off that much that we've gotten desperate? She's a talent and not lacking in confidence, but clearly needs to be developed further. If that's really the case, it seems more likely they don't want her soundly thumped by the Russian phenoms at Jr Worlds before they can prop her up properly with the international judges prior to Sochi.

icebeauty

On the Ice
That would truly be surprising if they are considering Gold for Worlds or 4CC. Has American skating really dropped off that much that we've gotten desperate? She's a talent and not lacking in confidence, but clearly needs to be developed further. If that's really the case, it seems more likely they don't want her soundly thumped by the Russian phenoms at Jr Worlds before they can prop her up properly with the international judges prior to Sochi.

in one word, NO. US ladies hasn't dropped off THAT much...it's just that there is an expectations for medals when it comes to US ladies skating since it's been the standard and we've been beat that last half decade by everyone else...just think about it US nationals is a BIG deal compared to other countries' national competitions due to the talent pool...
basically, since i don't have the exact quote, Patricia St Peter answered the question with the idea that "all eligible skaters will be considered" Therefore, Gracie can/will be considered, not because she's better than a lot of senior ladies (which may be true for TES but she's not a fully developed skater yet...) but rather that she meets the requirements for being considered (i.e. age, nationals placement, etc). Truthfully, I don't think Gracie getting a senior international assignment is likely as much as i'd like to see her get 4CCs if the top 3-5 senior ladies don't have major meltdowns...having Gracie as an alternate for wither wouldn't work b/c of the junior/senior LP issue...also jr worlds is at the end of February...it's going to be a lot for her to do that many competitions in so few weeks with so many adjustments to be made...

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
i know i don't post often, but i pretty much read all the forums and have thoughts on most of the things that get discussed here, I just don't always have the time to spend to discuss it all

Me,too! I don't post a lot, but lurk mostly. But I'm starting to post more, especially during competitions. I know I have 400 plus posts, but that's recently and I signed up back in 2004.
I was never formally welcomed,like I've seen they do sometimes. (Mathman?) Hehe. So I would like to welcome you :)

Anyways, sorry for the off topic. Moving on.