Personally, unless there is some written rule that forbids it, I don't think any factor but performance should determine who goes to Worlds. The point is to win, not to pass out favors to all the lovely girls who work so hard. If Gracie kills at 4CC and no one else does, she'd be our strongest bet at Worlds too.
That said, I'm really hoping Agnes pulls it out for a win here. That SP was so strong and mature. The program is not particularly to my taste, and I agree with Backstage Barbie who mentioned in her blog that Agnes's hair and costume seemed very "harsh." She deserves better. But she really put it down last night.
As for what happened to Rachael - she had a LOT of competition last night. I lost track of all the talented girls. She no longer has the unflappable steadiness that she had. She made only one major mistake and got nice applause, but instead of raising the bar in order to face down the competition, she merely made it through the program that blew the roof off last year.
(I'll keep looking for the others. Is it so much to ask for someone to upload all of the top skaters and not just their favorite? Lol)
Last edited by Ruffles78; 01-27-2012 at 12:37 PM.
I went to see the Ladies SP. Some notes on a few of the top 10 girls
1. Yasmin. She had the worst ice coverage in the top 10. I was surprised at her score because her combo is probably the easiest. Doesn't seem to perform this time.
2. Mirai. Wow, Mirai must be slower than at least 7 or 8 girls in the top 10. She was really slow. Her speed going into her 2A was almost Caroline's speed back in the day minus the compete halt. Did not perform, did not connect to the audience at all. Her score is huge for what she did. Then Haley Dunne skated immediately after her, and showed everyone how it's done. That explained the boo when Haley got her score relative to Mirai.
3. Alissa. I'm surprised to see Alissa isn't as slow as most other girls, she covered the ice better. But she didn't do anything between elements. Just cross-overs. Huge score for PCS. Agnes should beat her on every components. Her TR should be the lowest of the top 10. Smooth landing on the first two jumps. Looked fully rotated in real time.
4. Agnes. Wow!!! During warm-up, she doubled a few times. I was nervous for her. Then her 3T3T combo. And the beautiful 3Lutz. Gracie should take a look at Agnes' 3Lutz. It was perfect from take off to landing. Perfect air position. Love this SP. I thought they would give her 63 just to keep Alissa in the game. Good score! Now, this girl is still very slow. Maybe work on her speed and consistency. The US fed has 2 great girls who can outjump the Russian babies. Need to start polish both of them now.
5. Vanessa. Second worst ice coverage. Her jumps aren't as tiny as Hannah Miller or Yasmin, but they are small. She needs to work on her flutz. Speed is ok. Her step sequence is probably the best of the top 10. Very effortless with a lot of turns. Didn't lose speed throughout the steps. Which made sense because she got level 4 on her steps several times this year. Also, she seemed too focused and thoughtful throughout. Maybe learn how to perform.
6. Caroline. WOW!!!!! She did the 3loop-3loop once in warm up and it looked really good. I was so nervous for her. Her combo in the competition looked fully rotated in real time. When they showed the slow-mo, I thought it looked close but I would give it to her. Her flip was good. Axel is still work-in-progress. She performed. She was happy out there. They totally lowballed her. There's no way that program should be lower than Alissa and Ashley. What a crooked event.
7. Christina. Troubled on her flip, so she aborted the 3T. She did 3F3T in warm up twice I believe. The second time, she URed and two-footed the 3T. Overall, ok performance. She is the fastest girl in the top 10. Axel is also work-in-progress. I believe she can develop a bit more.
8. Rachael. She landed the 3F in warm-up. Then doubled her 3Lutz later. Then went back and rotated the 3Lutz-2T. I thought she's smart to do the Lutz in combo. She wouldn't need to have steps in front of it. What a fighter! From not able to land flips and lutz to put both of them out in the SP. Trouble with the 2A. I thought she would be around 56-57. Oh well. She got quite a few groupies with her. During the warm-up, they did a segment on her.
Wow, wow..... I don't care if Caroline's 3l/3l was downgraded because it looked awesome. Who knew she could even jump that high and have such a smooth ride out of that jump. I'm impressed.
absolutely. i can imagine how this would have gone down with the second place finisher if that second finisher was someone like tonya harding. we decided to annoint somebody who didn't even compete against you. heck, i am one of polina K's biggest fans and look at the 2 falls when she finally skates the Euro SP against the big girls, even after a 7 triple qualifying round. at least polina k competed against the seniors in her own country's nationals and earned her euro spot.
i would lose all remaining respect for the USFSA if they actually try to send gold to senior worlds.
Last edited by skfan; 01-27-2012 at 01:27 PM.
I think the fact that they are even considering sending Gracie to Senior Worlds is because the older girls just aren't getting it done. Mirai seems lost and has no fire Alissa is limited in her jumps and is getting older and Ashley has never put it together. Rachael is about done and i don't think that Caroline is ever going to contend for gold at a Worlds or Olympics. Gracie can do 3-3 combo's which will be needed against the Russian girls heading into Sochi and Agnes can do them to. The older girls for the most part can't do 3-3 combo's. What does it tell you that it was Caroline that did a 3-3 last night?
Last edited by Jammers; 01-27-2012 at 02:25 PM.