Ashley - 59
    Alissa - 57
    Mirai/Vanessa - 55
    Christina/Nina/Rachael - 53
    Haley - 52
    Leah - 50

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I personally think that, if she is serious about skating competitively, she should put off Stanford until after the next Oly cycle is over. I TOTALLY respect that it is her choice to make and I will not judge/hate on her for whatever she decides, but I am a few years older than her and I understand in a way she maybe doesn't that actually, it won't be the worst thing EVER if she graduates at 24 or 25 instead of at 22 and then graduates med school at 29 or 30 instead of 27 or 28. Most people who go to med school now (or at least a good few that I know) take a few years off between undergrad and med school anyway to do peace corps, other work, teaching abroad, whatever so she'd be graduating at the same age as them anyway.

This is just my opinion; again, I totally respect it's her life and it is up to her. However, she is at this point (again, in my opinion) just tarnishing what was a relatively strong, or at least solid career.
    i agree. i recently graduated college at 22, like most normal average people. I'll admit my college is a top 12 school, but not Stanford. it was HARD and very strenuous at times, and graduating in 4 years was a huge accomplishment...grad school is hopefully in the cards, but i'm not in any big hurry.
    When i entered my freshman year, there was another girl in my dorm who was starting as a freshman at 26. She was previously a professional dancer (i was told by someone that it was ballet in Europe). She ending up getting married, having a kid, then going to college (Her family lived in the next town over and I think her mom was helping out...she was in the dorm M-Th, then was home for the weekends).
    I think Rachael needs to understand that while she's had a lot of success in a lot of areas, sometime you can't do it all at once. If she wants to skate competitively, she needs to cut down on the academics. I almost feel like she's put herself in this position so that she can show us that she's "better" than everyone else and it looks like she wants it all, and she was being very naive about that fact that she was setting herself up for disappointment. (We can't all be Paul Wylie's or Matt Savoie's - remember he deferred admission to Cornell Law so he could do the Turino Olympics - we just all WANT be that awesome). Most people take longer than 4 years to graduate with their BA/BS degrees these days as the academic rigor is tough - i don't remember the stat but the average is between 4 and 5 yrs these days. I know people who are enrolling in med school as 30-somethings. Rachael should recognize that the life of being a figure skater is one of a professional athlete, she (should be - if she wants success) putting in as much if not more time than regular college NCAA athletes, and most of them aren't carrying as heavy of a course load as she is.
    Rachael has the skill-set to both succeed in skating AND academics, but IMO not at the same time, there really isn't enough time in a day. If I were her, I think it's time to realize that skating is for right now (if you really truly love it), school can wait.

side-note: look no further than the Michigan ice dancers. Education is important for all of them too, but they're only part-time students (at a GREAT public university might I add), and that's working for them...obviously, Rachael needed this year to figure out her limits, but I hope she evaluates them quickly otherwise she'll never really be back on track.
    Last edited by icebeauty; 01-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Custom Title
    just watched that video of Caroline...BEAUTIFUL, i was tearing up...some quick thoughts
    - that 3r-3r looked rotated...
    - her flip looked so easy, it really nice to see her jumps look easy
    - the lay-back camel spin (i.e. yuna spin) is not one that i particularly like, but i think with arm variations it could work wonderfully
    - really nice to see that her spins are a great as ever
    - Caroline finally looks at ease on the ice...almost Alissa-like?
    - WHAT DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES! Karen and Peter have really taught her how to use her body not just for power and the jumps, watching Caroline skate now, you can see the energy and completeness of every movement. I really hope she keeps it up!
    Last edited by icebeauty; 01-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Was so happy for Caroline just watching the leaderboard last night. Now, having seen the program, I am actually a little teary. First because the program was riveting, 2nd bcs Caroline looked SO HAPPY, 3 rd because I really like her improved technique, and finally because I LOVE the 3lo-3loL! (and it looked rotated in real time to me)

Sorry for Rach's lackluster results but overall wow, what an event. Seems like that performance might otherwise have placed okay for Mirai, but just too many women BROUGHT IT last night.
    Last edited by rallycairn; 01-27-2012 at 03:52 PM.

I really loved Nina Jiang's performance. What a senior debut!

Very happy about Caroline also.

ITA with icebeauty's assessment re Rachael and schooling. If you want to be an athlete, the time is now. There is nothing wrong with graduating college a bit later than 22. I was 26 when I graduated....no big deal. She should think about the part-time option for now.

A most hearty Golden Skate welcome to AEMERALDRAINC (8 years late ) and to ICEBEAUTY! Post often, post long!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I really loved Nina Jiang's performance. What a senior debut!

Very happy about Caroline also.

ITA with icebeauty's assessment re Rachael and schooling. If you want to be an athlete, the time is now. There is nothing wrong with graduating college a bit later than 22. I was 26 when I graduated....no big deal. She should think about the part-time option for now.
    I just don't see Rachael keeping up with the Ladies now.. With Agnes improving and Caroline making a comeback and the new kids and Juniors next year she will just continue to fall behind.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I just don't see Rachael keeping up with the Ladies now.. With Agnes improving and Caroline making a comeback and the new kids and Juniors next year she will just continue to fall behind.
    Rachel will be fine. One of my favorite qualities about Rachel is that it never seems to be about the titles or the pagentry. She just goes out there to do her best and tries to improve relative to her standards. That kind of attitude will lead to success in her life; how many marginally talented people out there can, through persistence and hard work, be the best in their country (and one of the best in the world) at something? It's clear the sport has passed her by but she had her moments of greatness and she should keep her head held high.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ Something tells me Rachael would not be too thrilled by that faint praise. I imagine she likes winning as much as the next lady. I'm sure you're right about her work ethic betokening other future successes, though.

Custom Title
    Of course she enjoys winning. But it isn't something I think is her biggest motivation. This season she did not show up to any competition in winning form, yet she continues on competing. Most former champions wouldn't show up to an event knowing they had no chance of winning, whether it be about tarnishing her reputation or unwillingness to put in the work needed and still have an unfavorable outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Of course she enjoys winning. But it isn't something I think is her biggest motivation. This season she did not show up to any competition in winning form, yet she continues on competing. Most former champions wouldn't show up to an event knowing they had no chance of winning, whether it be about tarnishing her reputation or unwillingness to put in the work needed and still have an unfavorable outcome.
    I honestly think Rachael come to Nationals expecting to medal or at least get in the top 5 and have a bye for next year, though perhaps I'm wrong. She looked very surprised with her score.

Custom Title
    Does anybody have any more unlisted links on youtube?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissy View Post
    Does anybody have any more unlisted links on youtube?
    LOL, I came here to beg for more, too!

I would love to see Agnes if anyone's got a link of her SP.

Banned
    If Rachel is to make a choice between school and skating it should be school all the way. It would be a waste to put all her effort into skating and delay her graduation date and future plans just for skating since even with a full effort she isnt a real contender to make the Sochi Olympic team. She is no longer a favorite of the USFSA, her skating has plateaued, and there are just too many talented girls coming on strong now. Plus she has already been to an Olympics and placed respectably, that is as good as it gets for her. On the contrary I think she should only keep skating if it is just a part time thing she is doing for fun at this point, her chances are no longer there to make it worth putting of something just to put all her energy into it.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    The ladies long is going to be interesting!

Agnes - well deserved first place! Great speed and that lutz was HUGE! I wasn'treally feeling her costume or make up,it's too dark for her.

Alyssa- beautiful program! I love her lyrical/balletic qualities and those spins, I swoon every times. I hope she makes the World team, international judges recieve her well. I am proud of how far she has come since 2010!

Ashley - she has been hyped for this event on twitter all week! Glad to see her put out a great short. John Nicks is good for her,now if she could knock that ego down a notch.....

Caroline- how wonderful it was to see her SMILE!! and skate like she was enjoying it! I though the 3L/3L was dead on! Great to see her hard work paying off!

Mirai - Had a great warm up, landed 3 triple loops perfectly! I think she is soo focused on landing the jumps that it just kills her performance level, confidence is her biggest problem and if she doesn't have it in herself no one is going going to put any into her and her abilities, maybe Mr. Nicks could be good for her too...... I still have faith though!

Rachel - the lovefest is offically over. Glad to see her hit the lutz and flip but in comparison to the top ladies she is out of form. Her spins seem to have gotten worse as well. I wish her the best but it may be decsion time for her, I think the USFSA's penatly for worlds has extended farther than money, there is offically no love in this club.... She honestly seemed shocked ather scores.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast