Junior Ladies Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies Free Skate

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol I enjoyed watching the Awards Ceremony for the Jr. Ladies; the other three tower over little Hannah Miller. :biggrin:

Nice competition, now onto the Seniors! :cool:

macy

Record Breaker
wow, this field of ladies was just awesome. such good competition! congratulations to all the medalists (YAY HANNAHHHHH!!) gracie had some nerves tonight for sure, but still pulled off an amazing skate. seriously can't wait for her to move up next year and to see her at jr. worlds! ashley is starting to grow on me, she really gets into her music and puts on a good performance. jumps and spins still need work. i'm really bummed about hannah's fall and double, but still love her. also a great performer. not going to lie, barbie is BORING. she has the tech side of it, but PCS really needs work. she just skated through that music and not to it. mariah is such a joy to watch. she clearly loves what she's doing even if she makes mistakes. really like her skating. such a great event!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Looking at the protocols:

Gracie had a base value of 57.81, all level 4's, and completed one each of every triple, fully rotated, and off the correct edge.

I was curious how this compared to senior ladies at the GPF. Recall that senior ladies have one more element than juniors, a choreographic spiral, worth 2 points in base value.

Kostner won with a base value of 50.75

Liza'a base value was 59.87, the highest of the GP ladies.

Gracie will fit into seniors very nicely, if she continues to skate like this.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie already has harder jumps then skaters like Kostner who is favored to win Worlds. She has a lot of rough edges to smooth but she seems like a hard worker and her jump technique will help her when she's nervous like she was tonight.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
exactly, I really cant wait for Gracie to go to seniors !!!
she will make a splash there and will give good competition to the current seniors
she will be greater than Ashley or Mirai, imo

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well she has one thing going for her that those other girls didn't. Her jump technique is far superior to any US girl that has come along in a long long time. Certainly better then Mirai, Ashley, Alissa, or Rachael.

macy

Record Breaker
just looked at the protocols and one judge gave Gracie two 8.00 and two 8.25. WOW. Hannah also got one or two 8.00's

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Glad to see she held up under the pressure and skated well. That will put her in good position heading into junior worlds. That's what I'm anxious to see. It's obvious that none of the other junior skaters in this country are on her level in terms of technical content. The story will be told once she has to face off against the Russian Triumvirate of Elizaveta, Adelina and Julia.

Elizaveta lacks Gracie's ice coverage, but she can go toe-to-toe with her in terms of technical content and Liza's performance ability is higher than Gracie's. Adelina's had an unbalanced year (mediocre showings on the GP, good showing at nationals and bad showing at the Youth Olympics), so she's a bit of a toss up. But head-to-head, a clean Adelina would probably beat a clean Gracie. When Adelina's jumps are on, they are as big or bigger than Gracie's, plus Adelina's presentation is much more mature and refined. Gracie would probably beat Julia on the technical mark by a few points, but Julia could make it up with her uber-flexible spins and refined presentation. I wouldn't call Julia mature, but she has good control over her movements which you usually don't see in 13 and 14 year olds.

I'm interested to see how Gracie will do against them. The pressure was on for her at nationals and she held up. But worlds is different. We'll have to see how she holds up under the pressure of real competition with competitors that are on or above her level. Making a mistake at nationals wouldn't take her out of the running at all; making a mistake at worlds could cost her a medal...that's a different kind of pressure.

Like I said, I'm more anxious to see junior worlds than I am to see senior worlds this year! I wonder if the ISU Youtube channel will post the videos like they did for the JGP events?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The ISU has a pay per view option for Europeans. I am expecting to see the same for Junior Worlds.

Unfortunately, when I went to test the geoblocking, I am blocked for Europeans.

I am expecting no better for Junior Worlds, but I hope IN will eventually have it.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Went to see the Junior girls free skate last night.
Some notes
Katarina doubled a lot during warm up. Then doubled almost everything in her program.
Just realized Hannah Miller did not jump. She basically rotated 3 times on ice or something a few times in her program. Her Masquerade Waltz is not waltzy at all. Thought her PCS was too high for what she did.
Mariah Bell is a star. Should have medaled over Hannah. She was working the audience during her program. Her step seq was fun. She's probably the only girl I would watch again on youtube.
Bebe L was so forgetable.
Gracie skated much better in the LP than in the SP. Her jumps were on. She covered the ice better. She skated faster than she did in the short. Appeared to be more polished in her movements, too. Rushed the take off on her 2A, so down she went. Her flip was also shaky, I thought she lipped a bit from my angle. Could be very impressive in the future.
I've seen 3 lutzes from her. Although they aren't Miki level, they are still very impressive. I would put her lutz in the top 20% of the ladies who attempted this jump.
Ashley Cain had the best skating skill of all of them. Pretty. I notice her posture in the LP was a bit odd. Maybe should start working on fixing that now. Most of her jumps looked really questionable in term of rotations.
The one I thought was most impressive during warm up was Allison T, she was faster than all other girls. Then in the actual program, she was slow and tentative. I wish they skated more freely. Would be nice to see.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Interesting development:

Tweet from SarahandDrew:
At presser, Pat St. Peter (USFSA prez) said Gracie Gold will be considered for World and 4CC teams.

My goodness....

emma

Record Breaker
I haven't watched any of the juniors but Gracie's score was huge - i thought. So, sorry if this is a really dumb question, but is her score and program content comparable to seniors....i mean the score puts her in the senior mix. When I get a chance i will watch it myself, just curious now given the score and Mrs. P's news.

macy

Record Breaker
I haven't watched any of the juniors but Gracie's score was huge - i thought. So, sorry if this is a really dumb question, but is her score and program content comparable to seniors....i mean the score puts her in the senior mix. When I get a chance i will watch it myself, just curious now given the score and Mrs. P's news.

technically, yes, very much so. no senior lady in the us has done a 3+3 and a 2A+3T in the same program in a very long time, at least not that i can remember. her PCS does need work, but it isn't bad. she could definitely compete with them.

Medusa

Record Breaker
technically, yes, very much so. no senior lady in the us has done a 3+3 and a 2A+3T in the same program in a very long time, at least not that i can remember. her PCS does need work, but it isn't bad. she could definitely compete with them.

Maybe the US should send her to senior worlds then - she is 16, right? That way she could have 2 worlds under her belt before the Olympics. If she did well in Nice, it could give her a strategic advantage over the Russian girls. Make a name for herself at a big competition.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Sr Worlds????

It's bad enough that we've already annointed her as the savior of the American ladies program, but to rush her into the Senior international stage seems premature and almost cruel. Every year the pressure to get that 3rd spot increases and there is no need to rush Gracie into that.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. Let this poor girl catch her breath before we all annoint her as the next Olympic champion. Let her compete at Jr Worlds against the other girls she will be skating against for the next couple years onto Sochi. She can see what she needs to beat them and what she lacks and it will be great experience for her.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Yeah the hope would be that she does well at Jr. Worlds and then next year moves up. There's really no reason not to. Even now in a totally unpolished state she has the tech to compete with and beat any of the current top Americans at any given event.