Junior Ladies Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies Free Skate

I would be very surprised if the USFSA sends anyone to worlds but the top two finishers in ladies singles.

For Four Continents, I will be surprised if they do anything else except offer the assignment to the top senior finishers and then go down the line until someone accepts.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Interesting development:

Tweet from SarahandDrew:
At presser, Pat St. Peter (USFSA prez) said Gracie Gold will be considered for World and 4CC teams.

My goodness....

I think that was a really bone-headed move to say at the press conference. I wish they would have waited until after the ladies LP before even making such a suggestion because they are really putting themselves in a jam if a couple of the ladies skate clean but don't outscore Gold, who did have a fall.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
OK, now I would put Gracie on the World team. So many of our ladies go out there and skate scared, it would be nice to see someone young and fearless represent our country for a change. But I suppose it would be a bit too risky to have her and Ashley go to Worlds and first time participants.

To me it's not a case of being too risky but a case of being fair. The USFSA should make it perfectly clear: Here's the deal. If you want to go to senior worlds, compete at senior U.S. Nationals and finish first or second.

It not right to wait until after the competition is over, then make up the rules retroactively to suit your pleasure.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
To me it's not a case of being too risky but a case of being fair. The USFSA should make it perfectly clear: Here's the deal. If you want to go to senior worlds, compete at senior U.S. Nationals and finish first or second.

It not right to wait until after the competition is over, then make up the rules retroactively to suit your pleasure.

Well that's exactly what the USFSA did by making that statement about Gold being considered. I am fine with how they have always selected the team, but when the USFSA opens the door then it becomes a valid discussion. For a number of reasons I think one should have to skate as a senior to be considered. However, if the USFSA now considers both seniors and juniors, then I think there is a valid case for Gracie because she outskated Alyssa.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think Gracie will be (and should be) offered Junior Worlds. I do not think she will be offered a spot on the Worlds or 4CC teams this year. And I don't think she should be. For one thing, she is not competitive in PCS yet, not with the top US senior ladies, not with the Japanese seniors, and not with some of the European seniors.