Mens Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Mens Short Program

Nadine

Record Breaker
Artur was the only one that brought his A-game, he's no longer afraid to skate against his idol, as it should be. :) He does Russia proud. Finally, they have a brilliant skater to lead the pack after Zhenya stops skating in 2014. Worthy successor. :bow:

Remember people, when one is skating against a legend, it's *not* good enough to just match him jump for jump, nor to have a bobble or stumble here or there. ONE has to go above and beyond, as Artur did her with that gorgeous 4/3 combo. (only one to do it!), as well as the 3A, et al.

I have no quibble with the marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSkcXDHuMY (he grabbed his chance & ran with it) :cool:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
He can do it. Remember how he skated clean at worlds in Russia with all the pressure in the world on his shoulders. He can do it, I'm sure he can

well I also thought Gachinski is inconsistent, and what happened at Worlds was just pure sheer luck for him
this reminds me of his cup of china performance, I hope he will prove me wrong though
he needs to skate outside the shadow of zhenya and needs to further develop his own style and haircut.
a "mini" Pluschenko tag will not help him in his career

russell30

Final Flight
SUMMARY

Really nothing between the top 6, but amodio and Brezina must skate clean in order to medal, really gold between the top 4 so be interesting FREE. disappointing for the French not what they came for, surprise for me was Verner - sort of on today.

Interesting can Belgium claim 3 spots next year if VDP has a great skate and Jorik a good skate, who knows? be good for Belgium

russell30

Final Flight
If Plushy skates 1st in that final group I think it will be his, Gachinski needs to skate before Plushy I feel. Javi needs to have his 2 quads I think. Those 3 I think, Verner might blow it, Brezina has not got a consistent quad and Amodio is having an off year.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
If Plushy skates 1st in that final group I think it will be his, Gachinski needs to skate before Plushy I feel. Javi needs to have his 2 quads I think. Those 3 I think, Verner might blow it, Brezina has not got a consistent quad and Amodio is having an off year.

But what if Verner doesn't blow it? Have you seen his LP? It's gorgeous! I have this tiny little hope he goes clean tomorrow. I'm proud of Florent. He showed some fight today. The fire is still in him. Don't count him out just yet

Trewyn

Medalist
SUMMARY

Really nothing between the top 6, but amodio and Brezina must skate clean in order to medal, really gold between the top 4 so be interesting FREE. disappointing for the French not what they came for, surprise for me was Verner - sort of on today.

Interesting can Belgium claim 3 spots next year if VDP has a great skate and Jorik a good skate, who knows? be good for Belgium

Verner was definitely a bit of a positive surprise.

3 spots for Belgium?? And Kevin retires?? Other than Jorik and Kevin we don't have any senior men :p (and Senior Men was still by far the most exciting segment in Belgian Nats :p) But who knows, it might be a boost for a couple skaters that have potential.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Can you imagine there is a judge who gave Brian 9.25 for Performance/Execution? This sport is becoming a joke

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Plushenko is going to need a lot more technical content than he's put into his FS so far in his comeback to be competitive. Unless, of course, the whole batch of European men have catastrophic meltdowns. Otherwise, Plushenko simply lacks the jumps to overcome the TES cushion the other top competitors have.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that tomorrow the top skaters would have had their Plushenko immunity up, like Gachinski, from today's exposure, and will settle down to strut their stuff better than today.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
plushenko is second with no quad and the best transitions...mhh it's kind of funny

o_O You're right, Plushenko does have the highest transition score in PCS. I must've read the wrong score before to not notice that. Now that is ridiculous. Although, other than that, I mostly agree with Plushenko's score.

bsfan

On the Ice
Artur was the only one that brought his A-game, he's no longer afraid to skate against his idol, as it should be. :) He does Russia proud. Finally, they have a brilliant skater to lead the pack after Zhenya stops skating in 2014. Worthy successor. :bow:

Remember people, when one is skating against a legend, it's *not* good enough to just match him jump for jump, nor to have a bobble or stumble here or there. ONE has to go above and beyond, as Artur did her with that gorgeous 4/3 combo. (only one to do it!), as well as the 3A, et al.

I have no quibble with the marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSkcXDHuMY (he grabbed his chance & ran with it) :cool:

Really happy for both of them. Wonderful skates. And really happy for Coach Mishin.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I loved his leg line in that hydroplane move. Such extension!

Plushenko received a big legend bonus. He was powerful and did all his elements well but without a quad and with so so transitions, footwork, and upright skating, almost 85 is really high.

Hello Lysacek Vancouver? Plushenko had a real 3axel, all legend scores talks are whatever, isnt is supposed to be international competition? I m biased yes. Ant said Plushy is very impressive live and especially his steps, I didnt make him a fan yet but if Ant says so about him I m thrilled :cool:

Plushenko was in the audience (below Ant also:biggrin:) and was watching everyone. I m happy for Athur and Papa Mishin.
Fernandez is great but really he is slow, or it seems so.

Joubert...my head entered my scarf and sit there until marks, when i didnt see the combo...

I ll write more later

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Plushenko was in the audience (below Ant also:biggrin:) and was watching everyone. I m happy for Athur and Papa Mishin.

I was right! Plushenko was there casting his evil eye jinx at everyone except his mini-me! :laugh:

But he can't do that tomorrow. He will be in the mix with the "enemies".

seniorita

Record Breaker
I was right! Plushenko was there casting his evil eye jinx at everyone except his mini-me! :laugh:

But he can't do that tomorrow. He will be in the mix with the "enemies".
On second thought, Euro announcer in warm up called him a living legend, thats why he got the bonus probably!
He was far from ice and they couldnt see him, but if it works for you ok:laugh:I dont know how skaters were intimidated by him competing, they were practicing in different groups, he competed at 1 o clock and they skated at 4. I forgot he actually competed when group 4 entered.
I dont think he will do quad in free, he cant actually do it, I saw in practices his landing knee is not holding. Last two practices he didnt even try.
But I m so happy he came to Euros, he had no reason to chase a 10th medal and he could just not go to embarass himself with no quad etc since he is not ready, but all his rest stuff look better than 2009-2010, especially the speed. I m doing my happy dance and the audience was very supportive even if he skated so early!
I m pissed of with Joubert,he had the best practice of all. How he didnt do the combo?
I forgot to tell Verner was a huge surprise! And is audience darling. And Hendrix from Belgium was surprise too.

off to pairs!!

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Good performances from Gachinski and Plushenko and Verner was most steady of the rest. Gachinski needs to hit everything like he did at worlds 2011. 1st in the SP but 4th in PCS. He could be climbing more in that category. Fernandez and Brezina could still be huge threats for medals and what if this is a reverse of last year which was 1, Amodio, 2-Brezina 3-Gachinski and that turned into Amodio Joubert Verner and what if it was some kind of strange Brezina Fernandez Plushenko result or replace Plushenko with Gachinski. This 1-2-3 could stay the same or Plushenko could win and overtake Gachinski and maybe Fernandez could replace Verner , for the FS the suspense will be so great.

I wonder if Voronov is on his way to being replaced for worlds!! In 2010 he was 17th and 14th I beleive and now he is in 14th place. He better move up in the FS by a lot!!

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Can you imagine there is a judge who gave Brian 9.25 for Performance/Execution? This sport is becoming a joke

It's scoring like that that makes me question the credibility of the judging. It's probably the same judge who gave 9's to basically everyone in the top 10. :p If we look for "rank judging", then this panel of judges is a clear example of a panel who uses the PCS to rank skaters. Ridiculous!