Can Ashley Wagner be U.S. figure skating's next star? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Ashley Wagner be U.S. figure skating's next star?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ashley has the attitude of a champion, especially this year. She has worked REALLY hard and it shows. physically she is in great shape and she has always had underrated musicality and spins. Ashely very rarely bombs a free skate....she has often made small errors like two-foots and edge calls, but falls and pops are not that common. Her speed is fantastic, the way she flew into that salchow there was no way she could have controlled it, thus the pop. I hope she can keep this up at worlds and receive appropriate scores for it...that LP is simply Sasha-like.

I do not feel much similarity with Sasha here. Sasha is the epitome of "dainty" even with pounds on, she skates is a balletic/rhyth typemic gymnastic way, grace personified with the tiny poinetd toes in jumps. Sasha made mistakes, but her swan was far more swan like, refined and delicate, yet fiery. Sasha is an artist on the ice, and even with no jumps, she is still astounding at times. Ashley did very well and I liked her best of the US ladies this year and also feel she was under rated and underscored in the past. I am not sure the intl judges will flip for her unless she brings a consistent 3x3. That will help greatly. She skates as she talks, with much assertion, strength and determination. She looks like an athlete in her tutu costume, not a ballerina as she is so muscled all over.

I'd love Ashley to prove me wrong about her standing with intl judges. I did not see her get the scores she deserved on the GP. I would have been more generous. This worlds is about the overcomers who are at the end of their comp. years. The judges will have sympathy for Mao, Carolina, Alissa and Akiko, and love these ladies skating. As for Mao, she's not at the end..she can do it til Sochi. I truly expect another podium finish for her, though the color I have no clue about. It seems politics will put one of those amazing Russian girl/women on the podium. Russia has three skaters now who i think are far better than Irina (adorable gal) and look at her success? Will they all get held up? Not possible, but these are the favorites. Ashley may be someone who gets a a bit screwed internationally. I am happy she performed as I knew she could. I enjoy her, and two years from now we might see a transformed even more woman who skates Black Swan very differently. I looked at Caroline Zhang and was amazed.

I still can't believe she was not bronze. It wasn't gigantic but that was a triple loop/triple loop! Shades of Tara! As for Paul Wylie, he had the goods but no confidence and he was at Harvard, Olympia, was it? His earlier skates show the stretch and body line/posture of a shorter John Curry. He was fighting demons but for raw talent, I put him up there with the great men of all time. He is a man, who manages grace, style, finesse and out right perfection of line while never looking less than masculine. I like that.

Well, I would love for Ash or Alissa or any of them to have the stars align and make me eat my words as they get crowned World Champion. Too bad we cannot put Ashley's drive into Alissa's head!

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashley had so many doublefooted jumps in her program and wasn't penalized enough. Her PCS is a joke.
She's quite unlikable in real life as well, confirmed my suspicion about her.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think we're all waiting for Ashley to break through internationally. She always seems to skate relatively clean, but the international judges just aren't that impressed..
Also, she strikes me as someone who always tries so incredibly hard - choreography, performance, jumps, costumes.. Each movement is all very packaged and it looks that way. Sometimes subtlety is a good thing. Less is more..

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope this chuckm is eating a little crow this morning...

Nope. I said Ashley hasn't reached the top level INTERNATIONALLY. Capisce?

Ashley won Nationals because she skated better than Alissa Czisny last night---Alissa hasn't successfully defended her US Championship in the past, and this time was no exception. Defeating Alissa doesn't carry much weight internationally. It's how well ASHLEY performs that will count at Worlds.

As pretty as Ashley's Nationals performance was, it was not without flaws: she doublefooted 3 triples and she flutzes. She will be facing ladies who have 3/3s and/or PCS scores consistently in the 7s, and who have medaled at Worlds and/or Euros. She has her work cut out for her.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I bet she is a sweetie in real life. :yes:

She's always been gracious to the fans as far as I can tell... yeah she doesn't do the "I just want to skate my best" interview, but I think if folks allow Johnny to give his "hardcore drug" analogies and say it was just Johnny being Johnny, then I think Ashley still comes off pretty boring... Maybe she should skate to the music from Miss Congeniality since some view her as Sandra Bullock pre-World Peace speech.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Ashley even said in an interview something to the effect of why not say what you really mean? We ALL are in it to win it...

KKonas

Medalist
Ashley had so many doublefooted jumps in her program and wasn't penalized enough. Her PCS is a joke.

You don't know her. I do. She is very likeable. She was determined to not be "the Almost Girl" this season and she worked hard and succeeded. Good for her.

brightphoton

Medalist

Bwahaha, oh the irony. I remember you scolding the rest of us for dumping on Rachael because she was beating our favorites.

Johar

Medalist
Loved her exhibition routine today on NBC because it was so lively! And it wasn't a song from Adele :biggrin:

You don't know her. I do. She is very likeable. She was determined to not be "the Almost Girl" this season and she worked hard and succeeded. Good for her.

That's nice to hear, KKonas. I didn't find her declaration of intent to win to be very offensive. It's not as if she trash-talked about the other competitors. She just said she wanted to win and thought she could, which is not implying that the others are bad skaters. She didn't say that the others might as well just go home, or anything like that. She may actually be modest under other circumstances, but she felt like expressing her determination this time around. Not everyone revs herself up in the same way. To the microphone, Tara Lipinski came off more aggressive than this; Kwan didn't. But they both had the tiger instinct that they needed on the ice.